T Nation

Calzaghe vs Jones Jr

calzaghe has pulled out due to a damaged right hand in training.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7502914.stm

The fight has been changed to november

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_3856800,00.html

Fuckin guy. I really don’t like him. I hope my boy Roy beats his ass. Every great fighter has one great fight left…

what’s wrong with calzaghe? I don’t really follow boxing as much as I did when I was young. I just saw his fight with Lacy tonight on ESPN classic and thought it was a great fight. I really liked his flurries and his accuracy there.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
what’s wrong with calzaghe? I don’t really follow boxing as much as I did when I was young. I just saw his fight with Lacy tonight on ESPN classic and thought it was a great fight. I really liked his flurries and his accuracy there.[/quote]

He’s a slap boxer. I hate his style… fifteen slaps so you can give one halfway decent overhand left.

I can’t respect a guy that fights like that… hitting and not hurting. Plus, as I’ve said before, he’s fought four Belgians and one drunk limey and all of a sudden people call him top p4p… but he’s ducked American fighters his whole goddamn life, and “won” a split decision with a 43 year old Hopkins…

Fuck that shit. Go fight Jermain Taylor, Kelly Pavlik, and Winky Wright, then call yourself champ. Don’t fight 42 half assed fights and beat Kessler once and call yourself the man, then go trying to fight a way past his prime RJJ because “he was the champ when I was growing up.” Listen cunt! Go fight the champ NOW!

He’s scared of Pavlik, who will dismantle him.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Ricky Hatton, but English fighters besides him are severely ball-lacking. The best fighters still come from America… and you gotta be here to fight them. No excuses.

Interesting take. It seems I need to start following boxing again. I haven’t followed it for about 10 years or so. Lots of the names are familiar, but only nominally. And I DO like Ricky.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
what’s wrong with calzaghe? I don’t really follow boxing as much as I did when I was young. I just saw his fight with Lacy tonight on ESPN classic and thought it was a great fight. I really liked his flurries and his accuracy there.

He’s a slap boxer. I hate his style… fifteen slaps so you can give one halfway decent overhand left.

I can’t respect a guy that fights like that… hitting and not hurting. Plus, as I’ve said before, he’s fought four Belgians and one drunk limey and all of a sudden people call him top p4p… but he’s ducked American fighters his whole goddamn life, and “won” a split decision with a 43 year old Hopkins…

Fuck that shit. Go fight Jermain Taylor, Kelly Pavlik, and Winky Wright, then call yourself champ. Don’t fight 42 half assed fights and beat Kessler once and call yourself the man, then go trying to fight a way past his prime RJJ because “he was the champ when I was growing up.” Listen cunt! Go fight the champ NOW!

Don’t get me wrong, I love Ricky Hatton, but English fighters besides him are severely ball-lacking. The best fighters still come from America… and you gotta be here to fight them. No excuses.[/quote]

Sure go ask Lacey how hard he slaps!!

Severely ball-lacking?.. please STFU

Any man who steps into a ring to fight should never be questioned on his “Lack of balls”

[quote]Iron Mind wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love Ricky Hatton, but English fighters besides him are severely ball-lacking. The best fighters still come from America… and you gotta be here to fight them. No excuses.

Sure go ask Lacey how hard he slaps!!

Severely ball-lacking?.. please STFU

Any man who steps into a ring to fight should never be questioned on his “Lack of balls”[/quote]

First of all, any comment I say about being ball-less is relative to what we are talking about. Yes, they are fighters, they oviously have the balls to take shots. But this is all relative to other boxers, and you know that’s what I meant.

As for Calzaghe, yes, he beat Lacy and Kessler, and beat Hopkins in a split.

Great; three names of note. That’s about as good as Pavlik with Miranda once and Taylor twice, and Pavlik is ten years younger.

Compare that with Hopkins, who’s fought everyone in the book- RJJ, Jermain Taylor twice, Winky Wright, Felix Trinidad, Tarver, Glen Johnson… the list goes on.

The quality of fighters that English fighters face is not nearly as good as the quality that Americans face.

[quote]Iron Mind wrote:
Any man who steps into a ring to fight should never be questioned on his “Lack of balls”[/quote]

I disagree with that. See Starnes/Quarry fight? I don’t watch enough boxing to give you a good non-mma example, but you can see when a fighter is scared, or his heart isn’t in it.
You can step in ring and still be a coward. Just like you can be a tough as nails bicycle racer. Competing in a sport doesn’t necessarily make you a stud. I don’t know anything about Calzaghe so I can’t comment on which he is. But stepping into a ring doesn’t mean your bravery is beyond reproach.

So is Koscheck ball-less? How about Machida?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I can’t respect a guy that fights like that… hitting and not hurting.[/quote]

Yes Calzaghe is what we might call a slapper. And no, that style doesn’t excite me the most either…but I would never say he deserves less respect for it.

Look at Hopkins - since you mentioned him - and his style, or at least, how it’s perceived in the most negative light…grabbing, spoiling, doing fuck all, fighting smaller guys.

A lot of people got a lot of problems with that style. But you have to give him his dues…

any man who goes the distance with the executioner is one tough SOB. he does punch like a lil sissy girl but i wouldnt wanna be on the receiving end of any of em.

however, ROY JONES WILL OWN HIM

KO under 5rounds

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
any man who goes the distance with the executioner is one tough SOB. he does punch like a lil sissy girl but i wouldnt wanna be on the receiving end of any of em.

however, ROY JONES WILL OWN HIM

KO under 5rounds [/quote]

Hahah. BHop just don’t throw a lot of punches… but the ones he throws hurt!

And yes, Roy’s gonna be all over that shit.