Calves and Lateral Delts

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
Because tissue tension in the rectus femoris muscles will overcome the rectus abdominus and obliques, forcing the lumbar spine into hyperextension, long before the quads even pass their elastic limit enough to force the kind of intensity needed for a DC fascia stretch. This will compress the facet joints due to the hyperextension.

I really think my brain started bleeding after I read this.[/quote]

Good thing you never made it to “a modest antagonist-contract reciprocal inhibition effect” then. Yer head would have exploded!

But in all seriousness, I do the stretch BBB is talking about for quads instead of the one showin the the DC pics. Works well if you get the positioning right.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
bugeishaAD wrote:
Maybe you’ve come across that post by D about what some do as a delt widowmaker on the 3-way? Try that as a non-widow (obviously) maybe.
[/quote]

i’ve read a ton of D’s stuff but never came across that one… you got a link for that?

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Erm, when you say “lift off the ball of your (my) foot as well as the heels” I’m confused as to what you mean. If you mean to I come up onto toes, then sometimes, yes, but not often since you can’t support the same amount of weight on your toes as you can on the balls of your feet.

And yes, it’s a stretch at the bottom, held for 60 seconds minimum. F**king hurts!

BBB[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I meant. I was just wondering if this might also help in “feeling” the calfs more. Is the stretch held before or after the set? Or between reps?

BBB comes through once again! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the idea on stretching, gonna start incorporating this into my training.

just being picky,but…
please stop saying lateral delts! there is so much scientific mumbo jumbo on this board lets at least get the body parts right.:wink:
the shoulder is made up of the deltoid,
anterior head
middle head
posterior head
or if you like front delt, middle delt, rear delt.

lateral raises are the excercise to hit the middle head, pick dumbells, machine or cables and go for it.i remember reading years ago arnold used to keep some light dumbells under his bed and do a set of lateral raises first thing every day when he was trying to emphasise shoulder width. must have been in his early days, lol.

[quote]alit4 wrote:
just being picky,but…
please stop saying lateral delts! there is so much scientific mumbo jumbo on this board lets at least get the body parts right.:wink:
the shoulder is made up of the deltoid,
anterior head
middle head
posterior head
or if you like front delt, middle delt, rear delt.
[/quote]

Medial, middle, and lateral deltoid are all well accepted despite what Wikipedia tells you.

Man I think lateral raises are damn hard to progress on. WHat do you guys think?

They are hard to progress, but for the most part I haven’t had too much problem with that.

I agree with what prof x said before, I don’t agree with the shoulder presses as all you need to build the medial delts, hell I don’t feel them working there much at all. Lateral raises with DB’s, cables, machines (wish my gym had one of those) and even certain elastic bands have helped me feel that muscle being worked.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Man I think lateral raises are damn hard to progress on. WHat do you guys think?
[/quote]
I had the same problem, started using the lat raise machine, and it works great.

^ QFT. I tried the lat pullover and lat raise machines over the weekend, both immensely helped me trigger problem areas.

And yeah, for all my progress on the military press, my shoulders didn’t get much broader! LoL! Seriously, the growth in my shoulders and calves has been abysmal so far, and I blame it on me giving in to the whole “isolation work is bad” thing.