Calves, AHHHH

I’m 6’6 235 and I’m very pleased with mine. You really have to train them smart and intense to see true thickness. So basically heavy ass weight. While the gastroc does have more potential for growth due to its make-up, you do need to train the solues as well. I’d advocate combo squat to a calf raises and good ole donkey calve raises
Hope this helps
-Jimmy

[quote]Jimmy Smith wrote:
I’m 6’6 235 and I’m very pleased with mine. [/quote]

Question, how pleased were you before you ever trained them? Many people have great calves with no direct training at all. There also seems to be a huge ethnic factor as some of the largest calves I have seen have been on asian males in general.

The only decent response I have gotten is a “20 Rep Squat Routine” attitude to calf training.

I basically take a weight I could only do 25 reps with and make myself do 50. I usually do this in the donkey calf raise position after every workout. It should be extremely painful.

My calves are around 16-17 inches, but look bigger because I have short lower legs. They’re also pretty muscular. It helps that I was short and fat a few years ago, so I was carrying around a lot of weight. I was around 195 but 5’6. I lost around 10 lbs, but on muscle and lost alot of fat. I remember my calves used to look bigger but they were also fatty, but losing that fat has made them look more muscular.

Another tall(6’5) skinny(203lbs) one here.

Calf development is directly dependent on your cut. Mine are very high cut. Even though i have been developing the muscles to my fullest the major muscles cut off way too high on the leg, and there is a huge distance between the peak of my calf and my heel. And it is very hard to gain where you dont have muscle.

Point being when it comes to calves genetics play the biggest role of all.
But you still need to work your hardest to prime what you are born with.

My calves measure 16.5 inches cold. I never train them directly but when I walk up stairs (usually with a backpack on, being I’m in school) I always walk up them on the balls of my feet and flex and squeeze at the top. I dont know if this is what you’re looking for. But you could try the “high volume” type “workout” I use.

Disclaimer: I know 16.5 inch calves arent very impressive, but hey, for now it works for me.

I’m 6’6", 260 and I fuckin hate my calves. Don’t mind my quads/hams tho. I started this new mind muscle thing where I really think about it when I’m doing my calves and find that workin well for me.

For Prof X… I’m gunning for about 275 lean. Just to let you know.

[quote]BigHog wrote:
I’m 6’6", 260 and I fuckin hate my calves. Don’t mind my quads/hams tho. I started this new mind muscle thing where I really think about it when I’m doing my calves and find that workin well for me.

For Prof X… I’m gunning for about 275 lean. Just to let you know.[/quote]

Visualization is a huge factor in getting the most out of any workout. Once it’s mastered I believe nothing can stop you. Craziest pumps you could ever imagine.

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
Another tall(6’5) skinny(203lbs) one here.

Calf development is directly dependent on your cut. Mine are very high cut. Even though i have been developing the muscles to my fullest the major muscles cut off way too high on the leg, and there is a huge distance between the peak of my calf and my heel. And it is very hard to gain where you dont have muscle.

Point being when it comes to calves genetics play the biggest role of all.
But you still need to work your hardest to prime what you are born with.
[/quote]

Man, That is the case here. My calves are 17 1/2 inches around. There are very defined but like I said before need some major mass. The overall size of your body directly reflects the size of your arms, calves etc…That’s makes sense.

[quote]E-man wrote:
BigHog wrote:

For Prof X… I’m gunning for about 275 lean. Just to let you know.[/quote

I agree, when I put myself in another world with my workouts and have such a great workout. I can really see the difference in my workouts when my minds in it and it’s not. I guess that’s why I like Spike or no-xplode, it helps alot.