Calvert and Milo Barbell

Couple general notes:

• Bodyweight is still going up but closer to 2 lbs/mo rather than 2.5 to 5. I have 24 days of data now. Lifts are still going up and energy levels are fine. Maybe I’ll push this a bit more, maybe not.

• Average overnight weight loss is 2.2 pounds.

• Silly ideas: I wonder if anyone’s actually done a scale-based diet, rather than calories. Aim to weigh at least X amount over your morning weight every night. If not, eat/drink more. If you limit your food to, say, meat/milk/eggs to make that number, it might work.

• I remembered some stuff from PT and am working on that to improve my overhead range of motion. One exercise is to lay on a foam roller, in line with the spine, put the arms straight out to the side and let them sink to the ground. Work that all the way up to the top of the head like a snow angel. I’m doing that with some 2.5# plates in my hand. Also lying external rotations like that.

• I’m currently stuck in a rabbit hole of reading articles on the Press. I did this before, long ago.

• A part of me wants to “press, press, and press some more”. Forget everything else I’ve been doing.

• There’s no secrets. But maybe some stuff has been hidden by the sands of time.

• Train the press 3x a week, up to 7x a week.
      • Don’t train heavy every day. Once a week is good.
      • Do lots of doubles and triples. 10x3 and 8x2 and anywhere in between.
      • Never deload. ← John Davis said that
      • Ab work is critical. You want to be rigid head to foot.
      • Do lots of vertical pressing, of all sorts: Alternating dumbbell press. Reverse grip press. Reverse grip DB press, even. Handstand presses on blocks. Behind the neck press. Circle press (Bradford press).
      • Non-vertical pressing is useful, for some: bench press, floor press, high standing incline press (lean against a board).
      • Lots of strong lifters said seated press was important to train too. Without back support.
      • Range of motion training can be useful. Isometrics too. There are basically three phases: the “drive” off the chest, “the sticking point” above the head, and the lockout.
      • Lockout supports are also useful to get used to holding a heavier weight. Most lifters used to get this with their Jerk training.

My old, long-ago, goal:

230x8 is roughly 290x1. Push press is roughly 1.2x to 1.4x strict press. So that’s a strict press of 210-240.

Calvert said 250 was an average (with a barbell), in his time.

John Davis did a strict 334 lb / 151.5 kg in the 1948 Olympics. He claims to have trained with 375. Pre AAS.

Unless these numbers are all fictional, people today seem to be generally weak pressers. 185 is uncommon. 225 is rare.

A bodyweight press was the standard that you’ve “entered the ranks of the strong”.