T Nation

Cals Burned and HR

One thing I’ve always wondered is if calories burned is related to HR. For example, if I do any activity that includes my arms (elliptical or water running) my HR is higher even though the rate of percieved exersion is much lower than jogging. All databases say jogging burns more cals though. So is calories burned not related to HR?

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
One thing I’ve always wondered is if calories burned is related to HR. For example, if I do any activity that includes my arms (elliptical or water running) my HR is higher even though the rate of percieved exersion is much lower than jogging. All databases say jogging burns more cals though. So is calories burned not related to HR?

[/quote]

The level of heart rate is directly proportional to calories being burned. Never trust any databases like treadmills and such, they are sometimes very inaccurate.

[quote]Serd wrote:
<<< The level of heart rate is directly proportional to calories being burned. Never trust any databases like treadmills and such, they are sometimes very inaccurate.
[/quote]

Treadmills are databases?

I’ve always read that calorie expenditure per chronological increment is directly related to sustained HR and have no reason to doubt that it is by and large the case.