Cal's Big Log II: The Revenge

Honestly, the soft tissue work and some chiro has really kept me in the game as far as bicycle riding and lifting goes. I’m glad you are able to get back to it a bit.

ooooo my hips get jammed up often! literally. jammed up into the socket. i hafta convince pegg to pull on my ankles, one at a time, while i hold onto a doorway or post.

the horrified expression on his face when he can FEEL my ankle and hip pop out and back into place is hilarious! he’s seen all kinds of gore and nonsense but a lil joint mobility gives him the willies.

glad you got all fixed up. now go kick some ass.

Yeah I’ve had that before - sometimes I end up with one leg shorter than the other so it needs a good yank. Anyway, as you say, time to kick ass. Gym tomorrow.

OK so the post did show up eventually. Cocksucker.

Oh fucking hell, my post went missing. Gah.
OK so I’ve been putting off weighting myself, because I know I’ve put on a few pounds and don’t like bad news. I thought I’d better bite the bullet today. I was expecting to see the scale climb to 11 stone (154lbs) but was horrifed to find I weighed 11 stone 6 (160lbs). Jesus. I can’t even blame PMS or constipation this time - it’s just lack of dietary discipline. Too many nuts, specifically. I can’t stop eating the fucking things. Seems like I need an emergency diet, but somehow I have to balance that with fuelling myself enough to get myself through this 15K (and my weights and gymnastics class, and my school days). Ugh.

So here was my workout:

Negative pull-ups: 4 x 3

Standing press: Bar x 10, 25kg x 8, 30kg x 6
Superset these with rack pull-ups (hanging from barbell, feet on the back of the rack). 3 x 5

Rack pulls (just below knee): Bar x 10, 60kg x 5, 70kg x 5, 80kg x 3, 90kg x 1

Concentrated on form. No screams of agony from L5 so I think I’m good.

DB rows: 2 x 8 x 24kg (that’s around 51lbs or so)

Did a set of assisted pull-ups but my shoulder was being iffy so I left them.

Hyperextensions: 30, 20, 10
Superset with the rolly uppy things I did last time. Seriously, I couldn’t have done more than 10 on the last set, back was fried (in a good way).

Did a few forward rolls - still have trouble getting up on my feet after but I managed it once or twice. I’m not surprised it’s hard with that gigantic counterweight of an arse. Grrr.

Lots of stretching. Can almost get a split with the right leg forward. Harder with the left due to the sciatica business. Working on it. (I’m never going to be able to get a box split, so don’t ask. I’m not JCVD).

Today was a choice of go for a run, or do a 90 minute yoga class. Body felt tired so I opted for yoga. Turned out to be quite a hard class - think my arms got a bit of a workout at any rate.
Start new diet tomorrow. Bleh.

when was the last time you weighed yourself? I can’t imagine that you gained that much with all the running you do, etc…

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Oh fucking hell, my post went missing. Gah.
OK so I’ve been putting off weighting myself, because I know I’ve put on a few pounds and don’t like bad news. I thought I’d better bite the bullet today. I was expecting to see the scale climb to 11 stone (154lbs) but was horrifed to find I weighed 11 stone 6 (160lbs). Jesus. I can’t even blame PMS or constipation this time - it’s just lack of dietary discipline. Too many nuts, specifically. I can’t stop eating the fucking things. Seems like I need an emergency diet, but somehow I have to balance that with fuelling myself enough to get myself through this 15K (and my weights and gymnastics class, and my school days). Ugh.

So here was my workout:

Negative pull-ups: 4 x 3

Standing press: Bar x 10, 25kg x 8, 30kg x 6
Superset these with rack pull-ups (hanging from barbell, feet on the back of the rack). 3 x 5

Rack pulls (just below knee): Bar x 10, 60kg x 5, 70kg x 5, 80kg x 3, 90kg x 1

Concentrated on form. No screams of agony from L5 so I think I’m good.

DB rows: 2 x 8 x 24kg (that’s around 51lbs or so)

Did a set of assisted pull-ups but my shoulder was being iffy so I left them.

Hyperextensions: 30, 20, 10
Superset with the rolly uppy things I did last time. Seriously, I couldn’t have done more than 10 on the last set, back was fried (in a good way).

Did a few forward rolls - still have trouble getting up on my feet after but I managed it once or twice. I’m not surprised it’s hard with that gigantic counterweight of an arse. Grrr.

Lots of stretching. Can almost get a split with the right leg forward. Harder with the left due to the sciatica business. Working on it. (I’m never going to be able to get a box split, so don’t ask. I’m not JCVD).[/quote]

Cal, quit beating yourself up about the weight. The fact that you’re doing damn good in the gym, with the gymnastics, the yoga, and then able to run like you do…you are one to be admired. Definitely a woman I show off to a couple of the female soldiers out here who think they can’t do certain things.

And I’m not going to comment about the split business. :wink:

so, what happens if you weigh 11 stone 6? beheading? torture? job loss?

really woman, you’re kicking ass at so many things, i dont think an emergency diet is necessary. just get your head on straight and keep going.

Well, the source of my irritation is the fact I went up to 11 stone 8 (162) last Christmas, which is the heaviest I’ve ever been. I then managed to lose a stone (14lbs) over the first half of the year to get back where I wanted. And now I’m nearly back at where I was before. I’m annoyed with myself because I know I’ve been doing a lot of boredom/comfort eating and Virtuous Cal has been telling Naughty Cal to stop, but Naughty Cal has been sticking her fingers in here ears and going “lalalalalalala I can’t hear you!” I’m my own worst enemy sometimes.

Anyway… Didn’t work out yesterday. My neck was very stiff and sore from yoga (from headstand prep work) and I also felt a bit off - like I may have been fighting a bug, or something. Just not quite right.
But I felt better today and went to my gymnastics class, which went pretty well. I seem to be getting better at things. I actually managed a couple of forward rolls into standing (even if they were a bit messy…) rather than just rolling back on my arse and flailing like an upturned beetle, which is what normally happens.

Only two weeks until my 15K. I need to do a run tomorrow or Tuesday - and I need to get to the gym. And do yoga. Goddamnit. Back to school on Wednesday.

upturned beetle. ha!

but srsly… how’s your body comp this time around? I’ll assume its different and for the better until you tell me otherwise.

and yay for getting better at gymnastics! ive liked it whenever i’ve tried it… i can back flip (off of something or from a bounce) no problem… but front flips have always made me question what im doing.

now go run.

Cal,

It’s gutsy to start taking gymnastics as an adult. I did it as a kid (until I was 13), and then did it recreationaly (along with some coaching) through my 20s. Getting pregnant and having kids kept me out of it for most of my 30s. I just started doing it again a little more than a year ago. Damn. It’s hard. I hope you are able to stick with it. If you have any questions about progressions I might be able to offer some suggestions or resources.

Good luck with the 15k training.

Thanks, Nadia. Will take me a long time to do anything properly as I’m dyspraxic and couldn’t do any of this stuff as a kid, so getting myself to do it at 43 will take work and patience.

Bear - not really. Waist is up to 29", thighs feel fat (baggy jeans are now skinny jeans) and if I stand under a bright light, I have the beginnings of cellulite on my triceps.
Fact is, I’ve actually got weaker this year instead of stronger, so I’d be fooling myself if I wrote it off as muscle gain. Obviously I’ve had a lot of stuff going on (injuries, sick parents, getting fired, being unemployed, getting a new job that is nothing like anything I’ve done before, yada yada) but at the end of the day I’ve just been undisciplined and piggy, so it’s my own fault. I can fix it though. I always do.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
I always do.[/quote]

An excellent attitude.

You know you need to get those nuts out of your flat. If you can’t eat them in moderation, they must go. Boredom/undisciplined piggy eating…well, you know what to do about that as well.

As for myself, I can’t have baked goods in the house. I love that stuff so much, and there is no way I won’t eat it. Nuts aren’t my downfall, but I do understand downfalls.

potato chips (crisps) and goldfish crackers.

and, come to think of it, deviled eggs. they never seem to make it to the refrigerator.

ummmm, everything besides protein and veggies!

You’re preaching to the choir. Thing with chocolate, nuts and other “goodies” is I eat what I buy on the day I buy it. Thing is I’ve been buying things rather a lot. Currently my fridge is empty save for a one and a half bags of minced beef in the ice box, some tomato puree and a carton of skimmed milk. And it’ll stay that way for a while.

Anyway, forced myself out for a 5K run in the rain (yuck - I’m really hoping it’s not rainy when I do my 15K - running with wet feet is miserable) and then quick shower and on to yoga. I have DOMS from gymnastics - that class is 90 minutes and there’s no let-up. I’ve not had any carbs for two days apart from the milk I put in my tea. Eating tuna out of a can as we speak. (I do put EVOO and balsamic on it…so it’s not all that bad).

Everytime I eat Brazil nuts I think of you Cal. I’m a nut fiend too and I justify it by saying that they’re good for me…ugh! I feel ya. On the plus side, you’re being honest with yourself here and sometimes our follies are the hardest to admit. But you know what you have to do to get where you want to be and be happy there. Recommit yourself to your goals and get going. You can do it!

Strong DB rows! Jealous.

90 mins of gynmastics would kill me. literally. i might break my neck…