Cal's Big Log II: The Revenge

I’m a primary school PE teacher (as of September!) so I’m teaching everything from three years olds up to elevens. That’s quite a difference in ages and abilities but it’s fun (despite the naughty ones!) Nursery is boys and girls, but all the other years are girls only. Classes are small - 8 in the smallest up to 18 in the largest. It’s not like teaching at a secondary school (high school), most of which have classes of 30 or so.

Thanks very much for the sponsorship - it’s really appreciated. And good luck in Afghanistan. Don’t envy you that one - stay safe.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
I’m a primary school PE teacher (as of September!) so I’m teaching everything from three years olds up to elevens. That’s quite a difference in ages and abilities but it’s fun (despite the naughty ones!) Nursery is boys and girls, but all the other years are girls only. Classes are small - 8 in the smallest up to 18 in the largest. It’s not like teaching at a secondary school (high school), most of which have classes of 30 or so.

Thanks very much for the sponsorship - it’s really appreciated. And good luck in Afghanistan. Don’t envy you that one - stay safe.[/quote]

I wouldn’t wish this place on anyone. And you’re running for a damn good cause. No thanks necessary.

Gym today - very dark and gloomy first thing, made me not want to go, but I went around 10am. Did some shoulder press, dips, assisted pull-ups (neutral grip), dumbell rows, a set of hypers and some stretching. My lifts were not impressive so I’m not recording them here. At least I did the workout, anyway.

!! Rammstein! A girl after my own heart *sigh

I saw them play in Brixton a few years ago. It was winter, so I wore my full-length leather coat. Huge queue for the cloakroom - so continued to wear the coat inside. Major mistake…heh.

So I had my second gymnastics class at Crossfit London. As usual I was a big klutz but I think there was some improvement from last time. I also found it equally knackering. My glutes are going to be hurting tomorrow. If there’s one thing that will show up any imbalances, it’s gymnastics.

There’s a lot of (very exhausting) drills - bunny hops down the mats, then progressing down the mats on three limbs with the other leg held straight, then lots of rolling around and such. I’ll keep up with it because, well, I need to and, well, it’s also a damned good workout. Plus I’m gaining a skill, which is good.

Will report back on the aches and pains tomorrow.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
So I had my second gymnastics class at Crossfit London. As usual I was a big klutz but I think there was some improvement from last time. I also found it equally knackering. My glutes are going to be hurting tomorrow. If there’s one thing that will show up any imbalances, it’s gymnastics.

There’s a lot of (very exhausting) drills - bunny hops down the mats, then progressing down the mats on three limbs with the other leg held straight, then lots of rolling around and such. I’ll keep up with it because, well, I need to and, well, it’s also a damned good workout. Plus I’m gaining a skill, which is good.

Will report back on the aches and pains tomorrow.[/quote]

Those drills were always fun during wrestling camp, as well as combatives camp. For a big-ass gorilla, I enjoy stuff like flipping and walking on my hands. Good with the kids, as well. Good stuff.

that gymnastics class sounds way cool. do they have big giant pads to fall onto? and a trampoline? I am jealous!

They have small, thin, hard mats. No trampoline. Crossfit London is jammed into a railway arch - it’s very small. They can only have one class in at a time, and you can’t just turn up and train on your own as there’s no room. What they do have is good - it’s just very small.
My weights I do in a local authority gym 'round the corner. It’s not perfect but it does have a power rack and oly bars, which suits me fine.

I can commiserate with you on the klutziness factor - I’ve got all the grace and coordination of an inebriated hippopotamus, despite my generally smallish size. I don’t dare even try gymnastics, though it sounds like tons of fun - good luck with it, I’m totally jealous!

Also, I have to put in my own 2 cents for the awesomeness of working out to Rammstein. :smiley:

Well, I’m dyspraxic - it has got better with age, though. I put that down to playing a lot of computer games. My proprioception still sucks, though.

So, aches and pains - traps, as expected, and hips (side glutes, basically - my abductors) were the worst.
Went to yoga class. It went OK. I’m still not convinced doing those backbends is good for me.
Did a headstand with assistance from the instructor. My neck didn’t care for that too much. Hurts the top of my head too. Need thicker mats, I reckon.

It was funny - she was advising people to imagine they were 8 years old when they were trying the headstands, because apparently kids are more fearless and better able to do stuff like this. Totally the wrong thing to say to me, though. As a kid I had very little confidence in my physical abilities - I fell over a lot, would never attempt any gymnastic move at all, and wouldn’t even go on the scary rides at the fair. I didn’t get into my whole extreme rollercoaster thing until I was 30, pretty much. Couldn’t catch a ball either. I guess I’m a late bloomer.

Incidentally, thanks to the three people who have sponsored me for the 15K - much appreciated. It really helps.

i vote for opting out of the backbends and threatening to tickle the others while theyre doing em. rejoin the class after the backbend part is over.

you know well enough to listen to your bod. and maybe not thicker mats… maybe you need a thicker head? :wink:

Heh my head’s pretty thick - just possibly not the optimum shape for balancing on (especially not when there’s only a few millimetres of rubber mat between you and a hard wooden floor).

It’s a lot darker these days - still dark at 7am (at least until Sunday, when the clocks go back) so hauling my arse outdoors to do some exercise is getting increasingly hard. I’ve been very mindful of the fact that, since sigining up to do this blasted 15K, I’ve not actually run very far, so I knew I had to do something. Didn’t want to go out at all, and practically had to give myself a military style pep talk to make myself do it.

Turned out OK though. I ran about 6 miles. Sciatica was noticeable and knees were a bit grumpy but it was warmer than I expected and I felt pretty strong. Had to have a cold shower when I got back, though. Bloody heat exchanger is fucked on my boiler. Need a new boiler, but the expense is a bit ouch.

Read that pull-up article on TNation today - I think I have a purpose again. I keep meaning to better my pull-ups but my numbers have actually got worse over the year (probably because I put on weight, oops).

sux about the boiler. and I hear ya about the sunrise. I could stay in bed until 8am these days. rough.

Didn’t even wake up until 7am today, it was so dark. Good job it’s half term!

Gym:

Negative pull-ups (prone grip, shoulder-width) 4 x 3
Military Press: Bar x 10, 25kg x 10, 27.5kg x 6, 30kg x 5 (what’s up with this? Weak sauce!)
Wide grip pull-downs: 30kg x 10, 35kg x 10, 40kg x 10
DB rows: 2 x 26kg x 6 (ugh weak sauce again).
30 hyperextensions

1 hour yoga class.

Yoga class wasn’t one I normally do as it’s usually a work day, and found it to be a bit beginnerish even for me. Young male instructor, seemed a bit uncertain of himself. Very slow paced. Probably not one I’ll go to again but at least I got some relaxation in.

Noticed I have a bit of a groin strain thing. First time I noticed it was when I did that cross country race with the big hills - put it down to the hills, actually. But I can feel it today as well (possibly down to the run yesterday?) Gave myself a good stretching anyway. Will have to keep an eye on this. It’s not painful, just a funny twinge.

Jeez, I knew negatives were more likely to give you DOMS but my entire upper body feels as though it’s been on a rack. No training for me today.
I’ve been feeling a bit down today, to be honest. I’ve got a good new job, and am off work for half-term, so I should be thankful, but I can’t help feeling bummed right now.

My friends are off doing their own thing and I’m stuck here on my lonesome - a halloween theme park trip was cancelled, and my only time away will be visiting my mum. I guess deep down I know my parents are reaching the end of the line and I’m having a hard time getting my head around that, and don’t really have anyone to sound off to. I guess that’s what happens when you choose to spend a lot of time on your own. It bites you in the ass, eventually.
Enough moping.

No halloween plans on my side either Cal. I miss getting dressed up and parting but I hate the crowded bars. I suppose I could always get dressed up, stay home and have beer.lol.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Jeez, I knew negatives were more likely to give you DOMS but my entire upper body feels as though it’s been on a rack. No training for me today.
I’ve been feeling a bit down today, to be honest. I’ve got a good new job, and am off work for half-term, so I should be thankful, but I can’t help feeling bummed right now.

My friends are off doing their own thing and I’m stuck here on my lonesome - a halloween theme park trip was cancelled, and my only time away will be visiting my mum. I guess deep down I know my parents are reaching the end of the line and I’m having a hard time getting my head around that, and don’t really have anyone to sound off to. I guess that’s what happens when you choose to spend a lot of time on your own. It bites you in the ass, eventually.
Enough moping.[/quote]

Hey Cal, hopefully this finds you feeling a bit better. I can relate to the being alone bit. That’s typically me, in a nutshell. Can’t be easier with your parents situation, either. If you would like, I have nothing but time to listen/read what you have to say. Really. If you’re comfortable with that, of course. PM me anytime.

Beast/D

awww, :frowning: