Cal's Big Log 3D - Attack of the Giant Arse

Cal: glad you’re finding a way to train around that foot. Hope it gets sorted soon. Great job with the diet.

I love that picture! Good job sticking to the new eating—keep at it lady. Excited for new swim suit pictures :slight_smile:

YAY for your new log! Awesome opener up there. And I’m excited to see you progress over the next couple of months. Your physique goals are so within reach, CAL.

Oh, and this Dar Williams song reminded me of you a bit. From back when we were taking about body types, and you trying to embrace your feminine curves, when you’ve never been real happy about them. :slight_smile: I don’t know about the slide show on this one, but I love the lyrics.

This may be a stupid question, but when you do step overs are stepping forward or sideways? Do you try to lift your foot straight up or swing it around the side a little (does that make sense?)? I tried them the other day and I kept confusing myself.

Thanks Puff. Patch - sideways. I posted a video explanation on my old log (one of the last pages).
Chou - sorry, camera doesn’t have a timer so no photos.

Nice willpower. Can I borrow some?

I think I have that sesamoid thing going on. I was on medical hold while in the Navy but they decided there wasn’t anything they could really do about it, so I got out.

It kinda cleared itself up once I stopped wearing boots 12 hrs a day :wink:

But flared up again a few months ago unfortunately, and now when I do such things as lunges or anything that requires bending of that foot in that way, it HURTS!

We’re really beat up, huh? Will be waiting to hear the results of your x-ray!

Yeah, I can’t do lunges. When I do bulgarian split squats I put the instep of my foot on the bench rather than the toe. I’m also doing push-ups on one foot. Walking is generally OK unless I’m doing a lot of it and there are hills involved (the amusement park weekend involved a lot of truding up hills and steps and it did get a bit grumpy).

Certainly, I could run if I was being chased by a bear, but I’m just trying to avoid things that exacerbate it. Unfortunately that means no gymnastics, because much of the warm-up (jogging around the room, sidesteps, bunny hops etc) involves a lot of toe flexion. Which is really, really annoying.

Anyway, on to today:

August 5th

7am Swim (!) - 40 lengths (1000m)

I haven’t swum for about, hmm, 15 years, so it was in at the deep end (quite literally). Pool was warmer than I expected so it wasn’t a horrible experience. I did a mixture of breaststroke and crawl. My stroke technique isn’t great and nor is my breathing so I got out of breath a fair bit. I definitely prefer breaststroke - I find the breathing much easier. I guess I’ll get back into the swing of things eventually.

I did get kicked in the toe by people in the next lane quite a few times when I was doing breaststroke - that fucking hurt, but I sucked it up and carried on. Eventually I moved lanes, but the pool was quite busy with people trying to get a swim in before work.

New goggles kept the water out but I still have indentations hours later which make me look as though I have the worst eyebags ever. I guess I won’t be swimming on a day that I’m going out to meet friends! New hat didn’t manage to keep my hair dry (despite being a long hair hat) which is annoying - I’ve been “no poo” for several months and I’m not anxious to dunk it in chemicals too often. Ah well.

I’d also forgotten that chlorine always leaves my soft palate irritated and I was blowing my nose and sneezing the rest of the morning. Honestly, I’d rather be outdoors and running but I can’t so too bad. I do feel physically tired after that lot.

I also considered doing a spinning class this morning until I found out it was an advanced one, so I went for a walk instead. Not sure quite how long it was as I went via the supermarket on the way back. The blackberries on Tooting Common are becoming ripe - I’ll have to take some tupperware next time I go.

Eats

Oddly, not much appetite today.

6am Glutamine, Vit C
8.30am Glutamine
10am 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils
4pm Can of tuna, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, 2g fish oils
7.40pm Chicken breast wrapped in one rasher of bacon, salad with olive oil/balsamic vinegar

Numerous cups of tea with skimmed milk

How did the swimming feel on your shoulder?

I like the new log. It looks like you have some focus and nothing is going to get in your way, not even a bum toe.

I loved the video. That place looks like so much fun.

Betty - no problem at all.
sbmart - yes, it was brilliant fun. We weren’t really expecting much from the park - we were just there because the coaster is unique. But turned out to be one of the best days out this year. We laughed a lot, which you can probably hear!

I freaking <3 this log so much!

You’re really putting it in, Cal - I feel like you’ve been revitalized!

Keep at it, woman. I’m following along.

I finally had time to come see your amusement park movie. Now I feel like I’ve been on vacation with ya! So much fun. Sorry to hear about the foot trouble but I’m impressed that you are finding a way around it. And the diet is hardcore, Cal. Looks like protein, fats and some veggie carbs. GO!

Rest day. I was thinking about training, but I woke up late, physically tired and sore, so I decided to take a powder rather than drag myself through a half-arsed workout at the gym. Four days of exercise in a row is more than I usually do, especially on my current diet, and I figured my foot would appreciate the break.

Eats

9am - 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils
3pm - chicken breast wrapped in 1 rasher of bacon, sauteed greens (cabbage and leek)
8pm - 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils

Numerous cups of tea with skimmed milk.

Looking forward to getting into the gym tomorrow, which is how it should be.

[quote]Cal Jones wrote:
Rest day. I was thinking about training, but I woke up late, physically tired and sore, so I decided to take a powder rather than drag myself through a half-arsed workout at the gym. Four days of exercise in a row is more than I usually do, especially on my current diet, and I figured my foot would appreciate the break.

Eats

9am - 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils
3pm - chicken breast wrapped in 1 rasher of bacon, sauteed greens (cabbage and leek)
8pm - 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils

Numerous cups of tea with skimmed milk.[/quote]

Don’t you get hungry during that 9am to 3pm stint? I’d be famished.

[quote]Looking forward to getting into the gym tomorrow, which is how it should be.
[/quote]

Awesome

Cal: I had to google what a rasher of bacon is. Your eats are fucking tight. I hope your focus and determination this month makes your eating/dieting woes a thing of the past. Keep kicking ass.

i really enjoyed the coaster vid. don’t think that i quite understood what the thing with coasters was, but i think i get it a bit more now. they are pretty cool, huh. i never really thought about how they worked before. some great training and eating in here.

I wasn’t sure how today would go because, although I had a nice rest yesterday, I also went to bed late and got a little less than 6 hours sleep. It’s also day 6 of the diet, so I’m pretty carb depleted.

August 7th

Legs

Warm-up:

20 hypers
20 reverse hypers with V at top
20 clams (per leg)
20 single leg hip thrusters (foot on high bench) (per leg)
20 overhead split squats using a 5kg body bar (per leg)
20 bosu ball squat/sit up combo (had to go looking for a bosu ball, ffs, so there was a little break between the split squats and that).

Move to free weight room then:

10 step overs in the power rack (pin 7)
10 step overs (pin 9)

Box Squats

Bar x 20
30kg x 15
40kg x 10
45kg x 8
50kg x 5
55kg x 1 (this was hard! Ugh)

I think I’m squatting better - I’ve narrowed my stance a bit (it’s still wide, just not as wide) so although I felt pretty tired, I managed to match my numbers from my workout last week (when I was still riding on a weekend of carbs, good and bad).

Squats

3 x Bar x 10 (no box)
30kg x 10
40kg x 10

I have a tendency not to go low enough if I squat without the box so what I did was stick the safety pins down to the bottom hole and lay another barbell across it so something to touch my bum to (without actually sitting down). Seemed to do the trick.

Leg Extensions

30kg x 10
40kg x 10
45kg x 10
50kg x 10
55kg x 10 (+2)
60kg x 8 (PB)

When I get 10 reps I go up a weight, so at 55kg I summoned my inner psycho and got all 10 reps. Then went up to 60kg (that’s 132lbs in old money). I find it quite scary that I do all this. I think it’d be fun to be able to use my bodyweight, so I’m going to shoot for 70kg which is about what I am now.

Doggy style leg curls

30kg x 10 (per leg)
32.5kg x 8 (per leg)

Put the weight up slightly. Given this is a single leg exercise, I guess my quads and hams are pretty balanced in terms of strength.

Leg Press

100kg x 10
120kg x 10
140kg x 10
160kg x 10

Same as last week but I was happy with that.

10 mins Precor level 10

A few handstands and a couple of headstands. Stretching.

Not a bad workout for a carb-depleted old bag on not enough sleep, I reckon. Although I was in the gym for 2.5 hours. Cripes.

Eats

7am Glutamine (I ran out of Vit C so I had it on its own)
11.30am 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils
3pm (ish) Small salmon fillet, baked; broccoli (cooked) and raw spinach with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
7.45pm 2 scoops whey, 2g fish oils

Lots of cups of tea with skimmed milk. I think the whey and the milk keep me out of keto. I’m not sure that I’d actually want to be in keto - I could do without feeling like crap. I’m a little more fatigued than usual but I can function almost normally, and I’d like to keep that way.

I am really delighted to hear that you are giving swimming a good try. A spin class also sounds like a good work-around for the foot situation. If cycling in the street won’t do, I understand spin class is the next best thing.

Starting tomorrow (if I ever get home, that is) I will be joining you on the cut wagon. No treats for me for awhile (although I did just eat a honey bran muffin…oops).

#'s look killer, especially the leg extensions and on no carbs to boot. You are the wonder woman. Thanks for the ‘old money’, sometimes math hurts my head. After 6 days you should be seeing some changes, no?