Calorific Deficit vs. Carbs.

Hi there…

I’ve been training for about 9 months now with maybe 4 weeks off (scattered throughout the time, holidays etc). I started at a measly 81 kg (178 pounds) and managed to bulk up to a total of 95kg (209 pounds).

Out of the 9 months I started bulking around October and ended a few weeks ago so I’m pretty happy with my progress but I have by no means reached my goal (about 220 and <10% body fat).

My plan is to cut now for the summer and most likely start a creatine cycle throughout june, july and august then start bulking up again for 6-8 months in September.

So far i’ve tried not to count calories too much and aim to control my protein and carb intake.

For ex. the fast few days have been like this:
Mon: (heavy weights)
2100kcal
185g protein
230g carbs
60g fat

Tue: (circuit training)
1300kcal
130g protein
130g carbs
35g fat

Wed: (heavy weights)
2060 kcal
181 g protein
264g carbs
39g fat

My workouts are based around 2 heavy legs work outs per week that stem from a 3 work out cycle based on Heavy compound lifting, rest-pause isolation and high volume post fatigue stuff.

A heavy tri/bis session and a heavy chest/back session.
(4-8 sets of 3-5)

Also I do 2 lactacte inducing sessions (circuit training) followed by 30 min steady state cardio… finally i’ll do one aclatic session (sprints).

In my week i’ll have 2 days rest…

At the moment I’m weighing at 93kg so I’ve lost 2 kg in about 3 weeks.

My question, if anyone can please help, is carb/calorie related.

I’m trying to limit my carbs and maintain a high (and healthy) protein intake ( recommended was between 1.4 and 1.8 g per kg resulting in 130-180g) so as to prevent to the max. my muscle mass my only worry is the calorie number that I’m getting…

My BMR (body metabolizing rate is estimated around the 3500 kcal and people suggest cutting by a max of 20% to avoid “hoarding” however I find it hard to eat that much and yet keeping the carb number quite low… plus i don’t feel “that” hungry on 2000kcal. Is there any danger of this happening?

Any ideas? suggestions? I’d be incredibly grateful to hear from any of you.

Also I’d like to extend my thanks to all the talented and ingenius writers AND posters on this site. I have spent hours reading and learing from a lot of you and my gains would not have happened without this.

I pity the fools that still dont go to the gym because they “dont want to get big, just lean and toned”. lol.
for f*"?'s sake. Won’t someone just post it around the world?

And no… protein shakes don’t just give you muscle if you drink them…

=)

Happy (belated) easter…

Cheers.

Alex

[quote]swissrugby67 wrote:
Hi there…

I’ve been training for about 9 months now with maybe 4 weeks off (scattered throughout the time, holidays etc). I started at a measly 81 kg (178 pounds) and managed to bulk up to a total of 95kg (209 pounds).

Out of the 9 months I started bulking around October and ended a few weeks ago so I’m pretty happy with my progress but I have by no means reached my goal (about 220 and <10% body fat).

My plan is to cut now for the summer and most likely start a creatine cycle throughout june, july and august then start bulking up again for 6-8 months in September.

So far i’ve tried not to count calories too much and aim to control my protein and carb intake.

For ex. the fast few days have been like this:
Mon: (heavy weights)
2100kcal
185g protein
230g carbs
60g fat

Tue: (circuit training)
1300kcal
130g protein
130g carbs
35g fat

Wed: (heavy weights)
2060 kcal
181 g protein
264g carbs
39g fat

My workouts are based around 2 heavy legs work outs per week that stem from a 3 work out cycle based on Heavy compound lifting, rest-pause isolation and high volume post fatigue stuff.

A heavy tri/bis session and a heavy chest/back session.
(4-8 sets of 3-5)

Also I do 2 lactacte inducing sessions (circuit training) followed by 30 min steady state cardio… finally i’ll do one aclatic session (sprints).

In my week i’ll have 2 days rest…

At the moment I’m weighing at 93kg so I’ve lost 2 kg in about 3 weeks.

My question, if anyone can please help, is carb/calorie related.

I’m trying to limit my carbs and maintain a high (and healthy) protein intake ( recommended was between 1.4 and 1.8 g per kg resulting in 130-180g) so as to prevent to the max. my muscle mass my only worry is the calorie number that I’m getting…

My BMR (body metabolizing rate is estimated around the 3500 kcal and people suggest cutting by a max of 20% to avoid “hoarding” however I find it hard to eat that much and yet keeping the carb number quite low… plus i don’t feel “that” hungry on 2000kcal. Is there any danger of this happening?

Any ideas? suggestions? I’d be incredibly grateful to hear from any of you.

Also I’d like to extend my thanks to all the talented and ingenius writers AND posters on this site. I have spent hours reading and learing from a lot of you and my gains would not have happened without this.

I pity the fools that still dont go to the gym because they “dont want to get big, just lean and toned”. lol.
for f*"?'s sake. Won’t someone just post it around the world?

And no… protein shakes don’t just give you muscle if you drink them…

=)

Happy (belated) easter…

Cheers.

Alex

[/quote]
200 lbs + and your averaging 1700k/cals a day or so, where ya gonna go next 800??? bro your wrecking your metabolidm whny so drastic?? id make it simple drop 250-500 from not some stinking equation but from your maint level. this will get you losing leaning out with minimal effect on metabolism and if you stall you have somewhere to go.

Train hard drop the srap carbs make good food choices and maybe add some cardio

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
200 lbs + and your averaging 1700k/cals a day or so, where ya gonna go next 800??? bro your wrecking your metabolidm whny so drastic?? id make it simple drop 250-500 from not some stinking equation but from your maint level. this will get you losing leaning out with minimal effect on metabolism and if you stall you have somewhere to go.

Train hard drop the srap carbs make good food choices and maybe add some cardio

Phill

[/quote]

I’d echo everything Phill said. Especially since you’re coming right off a bulk you don’t need to be eating ~2000 calories a day which is probably about half of what you were eating on your bulk. Your body expects more food than you’re giving it.

As for your training, I see your using a bastardized form of CT’s most recent article. My question: why did you find it necessary to add in two more additional days of lifting? Can you really recover from all that volume when you’re in such a hypocaloric state?

Why cut when you’ve only begun adding muscle? You will loose those 14kg rather easily on a deficit. That way you’ll be setting yourself back every year and it will take you about 2 more years to reach your goals then if you just put your effort into building. Finish what you start.

Thanks for the replies.

Bar that crazy 1300 day (long story) im trying to not go under 2000kcal anymore. I’ve looked around and seen most diets (on this site) advocating a 2000kcal boundry for men at around 200 pounds. Perhaps it was too ambitious or not meant to be follow a bulking period?!

As for the training, we weeks sort of last 8 days long, so more of a cycle. This allows for two days rest as I do the 30 min of steady state cardio on the same days i do the upper body work outs.

SO far I dont feel bad at all, except maybe a bit on edge late at night due to the hunger. I’ll try uping the intake to maybe 2500 ish but keeping the number of carbs the same… maybe that will help. So far so good. Also will get on the creatine sooner than had planned to help prevent any major muscle loss.

As for the bastardized version of CT’s recent article, yes it is the case. It says you ccan incorporate 2 extra days without it being too much of a problem, as long as you get 2 days rest.I might change it around in a week or so ( I reckon 2 weeks trial then I can start tweaking?!)