T Nation

Calories vs. Carbs - G-diet

Hi,

By now you all probably heard of a V-diet. I’ve decided to design a G-diet (all shakes gainers diet) and I would like to hear your thoughts on calories vs carbs.

For bulking purposes some say that one needs a certain amount of carbs to gain weight and muscle especially when weight training. Some seem to be saying that overall calories ultimately determine a weight gain or a weight loss.

Any suggestions about the design of a G-diet is appreciated. Let’s “think thank” it here!

-Yustas

You should call your diet the D-Diet, as consuming sugar filled weight gainer shakes all day will surely lead to Diabetes.

Why not just follow the Skinny Bastard Diet?

Or Massive Eating Reloaded?

Neither of those diets are all shakes diet. I want to design an efficient all shakes diet. Just like V-diet, but for a bulk.

Any takers on my question?

[quote]yustas wrote:
Neither of those diets are all shakes diet. I want to design an efficient all shakes diet. Just like V-diet, but for a bulk.

Any takers on my question?[/quote]

I just don’t get it.

The whole point of the V-Diet is restriction; The most effective way to restrict calories to accelerate fat loss. From what I gleaned from Shug’s articles the only reason to go liquid was to make the measuring easy and automate meal preparation… if you only eat 6 different things, you don’t have to do much thinking to stay in bounds.

I had no reason to believe that a liquid diet, simply by virtue of being liquid, had any special advantages in terms of fat loss/muscle retention.

So, why would you go out of your way to only consume liquid meals when you’re bulking? When bulking is by definition the opposite of restricting caloric intake? Why would you care if you are eating an exact number of calories, as long as you are eating “enough”?

What are you going for, a restrictive bulking diet? Is this the latest expression of manorexia on this board?

Nick

[quote]

What are you going for, a restrictive bulking diet? Is this the latest expression of manorexia on this board?

Nick[/quote]

I think you hit the nail perfectly.

I would guess that his desire is to make a simple to follow plan, and what’s simpler then knocking back shakes 24/7?

My tip I guess, would be to use a quality MRP that contains some quality fats and carbs(complex carbs and fiber I guess), and also is vitamin/mineral enriched, or else pick a good multivitamin with the plan.

Personally, if I were to do an all shake weight gain diet, I would probably just mix whole milk with a low-carb protein powder, assuming you’re not lactose intolerant. Aim for between one and two gallons a day. Got milk?

[quote]yustas wrote:
I want to design an efficient all shakes diet. Just like V-diet, but for a bulk.

Any takers on my question?[/quote]

I certainly understand the desire for speed and simplicity, but I’d rather see a mass diet using solid foods. Try something like this:

1. Figure out how many calories you want to take in. Use the Massive Eating formula or whatever.

2. Now blend your own high quality “weight gainer”. I did some quick calculations in my kitchen. Two scoops of Low-Carb Grow!, a serving of natty peanut butter, 2 cups of milk and a serving of milled flax makes an 800+ calorie shake that beats the snot out of any sugar-filled “weight gainer” out there.

3. Now, make two of those.

4. Put them in one or two big bottles (Nalgene etc) and sip on them all day, mostly between your 3 solid meals.

Now, you’ve upped your calories by 1600-1700 per day very easily. Added a boatload of protein too.

The above can be changed up with Classic Grow!, low-carb milk, whatever fits your needs. Can’t handle milk at all? Double the natural peanut butter.

Lots of other options too.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

1. Put them in one or two big bottles (Nalgene etc) and sip on them all day, mostly between your 3 solid meals. [/quote]

Thank you Chris…Some questions if I may…

You said to sip on them. Do you mean not to consume a shake in one seating, but instead sip it for like 30 min or so? Why not just drink it down at once?

How do you feel about calories and carbs question? Is it true that one has to have certain amount of carbs if a goal is gaining, not including Surge?

-Yustas