T Nation

Calories on Training Days vs Off Days

I am currently bulking and trying to gain some significant muscle mass and strength. I know that in order to gain weight you must eat a calorie surplus, simple enough. However, my question is what are the effects of not meeting your calorie goal on a training day? Heres a hypothetical situation.

My calorie goal is 4000 calories per day. I train on monday and only get around 3800 calories. However I have tuesday off and get in 4500 calories. My question is will my muscle gains be the same by getting the same amount of calories split between the two days, but less on the training day? I know this is a weird question so if any further explanation is needed let me know.

Oh and I’m not freaking out and overanalyzing this. I was just thinking about it and didn’t have an answer, so I figured someone on here would.

Thanks

Short answer is no.

To expand that, look up peri workout nutrition, nutrition timing, getting in your macros, etc.

The biggest advantage to eating more on work out days, is to make sure you have enough energy for that day. That’s why on the carb cycling diet, you have a high day on squat day.

Thanks for the reply JFG. I can still make good gains if stuff like that happens though right? I mean energy levels aside, woudn’t I still be giving my body enough nutrients to gain muscle mass? And muscles recover/grow over a period of days correct?

I know its not ideal but in a situation like that if I miss my calorie goals on a lifting day, then make it up the next day woud I still build the same amount of muscle? Haha i know I’m probably beating this to death but I’m actually really curious about how this works.

I personally believe that it wouldn’t matter at all, and certainly not if it’s a one-off. However, JFG has been training 20+ years… I haven’t.

If your lifting performance doesn’t decrease, then I don’t see why it would change anything. Having said that, it could matter, and an interesting experiment would be to monitor the results for say 12 weeks of having slightly lower calories on training days vs off days, and then trying the opposite, and see what happens.

If you struggle to train hard when you’re eating a lot of calories (stomach is full or whatever) and you train later in the day, then I think it would be perfectly reasonable to try eating slightly fewer calories on training days and making them up on your off days in favour of a better workout.

Peri-workout nutrition is a questionable concept.

Eating some kind of easily digestible meal an hour before you train, i have no idea why one would be needing to sip on one of them colored drinx while they lift.

It is just marketing. You are supposed to be strong. It is laughable so many guys pretending to be strong relying on garbage like they need crunches. Much of what is written is space filler. In order to sell magazines/books they think putting words in help.

[quote]Field wrote:

Eating some kind of easily digestible meal an hour before you train, i have no idea why one would be needing to sip on one of them colored drinx while they lift.[/quote]

+1 All marketing hype.

@ nuts, that would def be an interesting experiment. If I didn’t have so many health issues right now I would def give it a try.

[quote]Field wrote:

Eating some kind of easily digestible meal an hour before you train, i have no idea why one would be needing to sip on one of them colored drinx while they lift.[/quote]

That’s because you haven’t tried it?

Yes, there is a marketing aspect (have you looked at a BB magazine in the last 40 years?). But having done the iBB cycle a couple of times, I know for a fact (for my body) it is worth every penny. I ran out of the Anaconda protocol during the chest cycle. I stopped at 3 days, as I had nothing left in the tank on my fourth day. The rest of my diet was the same, I even replaced the calories with a whey shake when I got home after my work out. But then again, I am older and need more recoup time. On the forth day, i was sore and drained. Something I haven’t experience when I started the protocol.

I know I should have been clearer with my answer. No, it will not affect your growth. Overall diet is more important then missing a few calories for that day. The only thing you might miss is energy during your work out. That will be dependent on the amount of calories missed. 200? Probably not. 2000? Different story.