Calories of a Powerlifter

Since powerlifters don’t need as much muscle mass as bodybuilders, do powerlifters generally consume less amount calories per day than bodybuilders?

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Since powerlifters don’t need as much muscle mass as bodybuilders, do powerlifters generally consume less amount calories per day than bodybuilders? [/quote]

Depends on the person and whether they are shooting for a weight class or if they care about how they look. Some do some dont. The ones that dont care about weight class or appearance and only strength will consume quite a few calories. Think about it a lot of the large powerlifters in the 300’s need a ton of cals just to maintain that size let alone perform well.

In the end your ? is much to broad. There is a wide sprectrum of calorie consumption in both camps power lifters and bbers

LOL @ not needing muscle mass.

powerlifters don’t need as much muscle mass as bodybuilders[/quote]
I don’t entirely agree with this statement.

Powerlifting is a weight class-specific sport, so yes, total bodyweight is a “limiting” factor, but to say a powerlifter doesn’t “need” as much muscle as a bodybuilder isn’t entirely true. I think it’s more accurate to say a powerlifter doesn’t need as low bodyfat, which isn’t the same as having less muscle.

There’s no one universal answer, since every athlete trains and eats differently, obviously.

But if we’re generalizing, I wouldn’t think powerlifters eat fewer calories. A “powerlifter’s workout” is more likely to be higher volume overall (repeated heavy work plus assistance work plus possible conditioning), which means a high calorie output. Compared to bodybuilders, some of which train with decidedly lower volume and “get by” on doing less work.

Even comparing a pre-meet powerlifter to a pre-contest bodybuilder, I’d absolutely expect the bodybuilder to have lower calories for at least a few months out of the year.

Depends where I am in the training cycle but as has been said it is very individualized, based upon the person, their goals, and where they are in their training cycle.

I’ve heard of Scott Mendleson putting down 12,000 cal per day depending on where he is in a cycle.

Wonder how much 6’8" and 460# worlds strongest man Brian Shaw eats ? ? ?

im a 300lb powerlifter. i put back at very least 5500 cal a day.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

powerlifters don’t need as much muscle mass as bodybuilders[/quote]
I don’t entirely agree with this statement.

Powerlifting is a weight class-specific sport, so yes, total bodyweight is a “limiting” factor, but to say a powerlifter doesn’t “need” as much muscle as a bodybuilder isn’t entirely true. I think it’s more accurate to say a powerlifter doesn’t need as low bodyfat, which isn’t the same as having less muscle.

There’s no one universal answer, since every athlete trains and eats differently, obviously.

But if we’re generalizing, I wouldn’t think powerlifters eat fewer calories. A “powerlifter’s workout” is more likely to be higher volume overall (repeated heavy work plus assistance work plus possible conditioning), which means a high calorie output. Compared to bodybuilders, some of which train with decidedly lower volume and “get by” on doing less work.

Even comparing a pre-meet powerlifter to a pre-contest bodybuilder, I’d absolutely expect the bodybuilder to have lower calories for at least a few months out of the year.[/quote]

I thought that bodybuilders actually had a higher volume workout than powerlifters, as bodybuilders usually do more reps and sets in order to get more of a pump and muscular metabolism compared to a powerlifter, which is why bodybuilders end up being ultimately bigger than powerlifters.

Also, you’re saying that a powerlifter within the heaviest class could have about just as much muscle mass as a pro bodybuilder?

I thought that bodybuilders actually had a higher volume workout than powerlifters, as bodybuilders usually do more reps and sets in order to get more of a pump and muscular metabolism compared to a powerlifter, which is why bodybuilders end up being ultimately bigger than powerlifters.[/quote]
Again, there’s no universal “bodybuilding” workout to compare to a universal “powerlifting” workout. I could be talking out of my ass on this, but the average competitive powerlifter probably uses a higher volume per workout than Dorian did, but a lower volume than Arnold did. What this means to us, I have no idea.

If Hypothetical Powerlifter is 400 pounds and 35% bodyfat (Donnie Thompson) and Hypothetical Bodybuilder is 330 pounds and 20% bodyfat (Coleman), what would that tell us about their muscle mass?

What about Imaginary Powerlifter who’s 275 pounds and 8% bodyfat (Kirk Karwoski) compared to Imaginary Bodybuilder who’s 265 and 4% bodyfat (Dorian)?

What about Captain America compared to Batman? (Oh, sorry. Got carried away with all the completely imaginary examples and endless possibilities.)

Since powerlifters don’t need as much muscle mass as bodybuilders, do powerlifters generally consume less amount calories per day than bodybuilders? [/quote]

You ask more questions than The Riddler.

Do you lift?

If so, try to endure hardcore powerlifting training while running on fumes. That right there will tell you if powerlifters need to eat a great deal or not.

Have you ever attended a powerlifting gym or meet? Have you met some powerlifters? Have you ever seen behemoths such as Kirk Karwoski, Brian Siders (who does three to four workouts with volumes that would put us average folk bed ridden or in the hospital), Andrew Bolton, Donnie Thompson, Brad Gillingham, and so on?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Do you lift?
[/quote]

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Do you lift?

If so, try to endure hardcore powerlifting training while running on fumes. That right there will tell you if powerlifters need to eat a great deal or not.

Have you ever attended a powerlifting gym or meet? Have you met some powerlifters? Have you ever seen behemoths such as Kirk Karwoski, Brian Siders (who does three to four workouts with volumes that would put us average folk bed ridden or in the hospital), Andrew Bolton, Donnie Thompson, Brad Gillingham, and so on? [/quote]

Brick do you have any details or a place that details a brian siders workout? i love volume and would be interested to see one of these or multiple session.

Just search on Google something like, “Brian Siders workout”.

He used to keep a log on his site, but it’s gone.