T Nation

Calories Needed for Bulking

I am a 6’4", 227lbs. male. I am trying to get to 240 lbs. before the football season starts, but I am not getting over 227lbs. I eat around 5k/day clean calories. That seems like a lot to me, but I obviously need to consume more than that. Those of you who are around my stature, or more, how much is your daily caloric intake when you are bulking?

[quote]bigvook wrote:
I am a 6’4", 227lbs. male. I am trying to get to 240 lbs. before the football season starts, but I am not getting over 227lbs. I eat around 5k/day clean calories. That seems like a lot to me, but I obviously need to consume more than that. Those of you who are around my stature, or more, how much is your daily caloric intake when you are bulking?[/quote]

If you are just looking for scale weight, one of the fastest and easiest ways is to increase your fats and liquid calories. Drink juices with meals and add butter, olive oil, peanut butter, mixed nuts, and cheeses where ever you can. If you are stuck at 227 @ 5Kcals, I would bump that up by 500/day for 4 weeks, then weigh-in again and see which direction you need to go.

If you want to pack on more lean mass and not just sheer weight, you might want to re-think what you are doing PWO (post-workout). You might not be eating quick enough nor sufficient cals of the proper kind after your training sessions, whether they be weights, spring-ball, running, or all the above.

You need to hit a quick absorbing liquid meal of whey hydrolysate/isolate + dextrose/maltodextrin IMMEDIATELY after the session (cool down first if your HR is still elevated so you don’t toss). Try 60 grams of whey and 100 grams of dex/malto diluted into 40 ounces. This is a lot of liquid, so consume it slowly over 20-30 min. 60-90 min. after finishing that, eat an EXTREMELY large low-fat meal of lean proteins and carbs (they can be starchy and high GI). Your other meals should stay clean, low-GI, and include fats.

TopSirloin

Check out Lonnie Lowery’s “The Weight Gain Troubleshooter: A Bodybuilder?s Algorithm” from 9/25/2003.