Calories/Macros in 4oz Chicken Breast

Hey guys,

I made a post similar to this a while back in the Supplements & Nutrition forum, but did not get a lot of feedback. Since I think this is an integral part of getting bigger, stronger and leaner, I figured I might take a shot at throwing it up here to get some more opinions from people.

According to the way I currently calculate my macros, 4oz of chicken breast contains 140 calories, 25 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbs, and 4 grams of fat. I eat roughly 28oz of chicken breast a day, 6 eggs, and through incidental sources of protein this would put me at roughly 250g of protein daily (or 1.25x bodyweight).

The issue is that a number of sources online clock 4oz of chicken breast much higher, which would put me closer to 350g of protein a day (which would be absurd at my bodyweight of 200lbs). I need to make dietary adjustments and, at this point, I do not think I have too much wiggle room with carbs and fats, so I would like to know if there is a chance I may have been accidentally ingesting too much protein.

I haven’t put too much thought into it over the years, just kinda of went along with the first numbers I could find on Google, and basically went by how my body looked, but I would like to eventually get a definitive answer on this as there appears to be much variation (and, if there is a chance I can lower my protein, perhaps allowing for more carbs - I would love to do that, as well).

So, if you can, please let me know what your thoughts are on the caloric/macro content of 4oz chicken - thanks!

MG

Chicken’s good… I like chicken.

What online sources have 4oz chicken at much than 25g of protein?

What makes you think you don’t have the wiggle room with carbs and fats?

I feel pretty comfortable in the 25g protein for 4oz of chicken.

If you’re a natural trainee I think you can get away with less than 1g protein per pound of bodyweight. My personal opinion.

Per ounce of skinless/boneless baked chicken breast, I go with 45 cals, 9 g protein, 0 g carbs, and 1 g fat.

I’ve recently started using myfitnesspal to record all my food intake and work macro’s etc. out for me. Is it 100% accurate? Probably not, but until I’m a jacked 5% bodyfat looking to lose those last few percent points, it won’t keep me up at night. For the record I’ve never heard of anyone who eats too much protein.

It’s just a matter of - I would rather remove protein from diet to make more room for carbs if possible. Feel free to look up the various calories/macros in chicken online and you’ll find multiple sources.

According to EyeDentist, I could be underestimating my protein by up to 63g protein and 280 calories. I’ve seen far higher estimates, as well. I just this is interesting because, if nobody on a strength forum can even come to a conclusive answer to how many calories/how much protein is in 4oz chicken, how many newer, natural trainees could be ingesting far more calories than they think they are - this could easily stop somebody from achieving their fat loss goals (or even strength goals if they think they are eating far more calories than they really are).

Right now by fats are right above 20% of my diet, with carbs at roughly 1.5x body weight. I am still looking to grow primarily, but with more body fat than I am comfortable with ATM. Would be nice to possibly cut protein to allow for some fat loss, even though I am primarily still interesting in growing as a beginning trainee (or so I consider myself).

Some conservative 1RM numbers (just recently starting to get back into strength training to develop a base for more hypertrophy work in the future): 245 bench, 405 squat (no wraps), 495 deadlift (no belt) at 200lbs… and looking to hit 4/5/6 (at the very least) naturally… currently running 5/3/1 BBB 3 Month Challenge for the second time (but with 55%, 60%, and 65% as I felt that 50% was too low the first time, and 70% was a bit high for the 5x10 work)…

Started out 4 years ago unable to bench or squat 50lbs at 180, just so you have some background (I am clearly not genetically gifted lol)…

Thanks!

MG

I’m Australian so everything is in grams.
According to my calculator which is myfitnesspal;
1 Coles skinless chicken breast weighing 275 grams contains 234 calories, 0 carbs, 2 fat, 54 protein.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
1 Coles skinless chicken breast weighing 275 grams contains 234 calories, 0 carbs, 2 fat, 54 protein.[/quote]

The last chicken breast I bought from Coles topped 400g, it would make most women insecure in comparison