T Nation

Calories in Oatmeal

On the side of a bag of Quaker Oats it says 120 kcal per 1/3 cup. Is that cooked or uncooked.

uncooked.

Usually whenever you read a nutritional label, it’s referring to the product’s raw form.

Correct me if im wrong, but it should be the same amount of calories whether its cooked or uncooked since it is made in water.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
Correct me if im wrong, but it should be the same amount of calories whether its cooked or uncooked since it is made in water.[/quote]

I thought the same thing at first also, but the volume would be much different because the oats absorb the water so 1/3 cup uncooked has 130 calories, but 1/3 cup cooked would probably only have 70 or 80

Ok, i wasnt thinking of it that way. I was looking more at taking 1/3 cup of raw oatmeal and cooking it and seeing a calorie change (which wouldnt happen). You are right and now i feel stupid lol

I thought that through the cooking process the macros in a food change. 1/2 a cup on my Springfield oats say its 140kcals uncooked.

My Steel cut Oat Meal has a serving size of 1/4 cup uncooked
and 150 cals but man the fiber is 4 grams…

You could eat a Mac truck and sh!t this out!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Question for you oatmeal lovers. I just bought some steel cut Irish Oatmeal at Whole Foods. First of all, uncooked this stuff doesn’t even resemble oatmeal as most of us know it. Final product had more flavor, and just tasted healthier, but this shit took about 40 minutes to cook. Is this normal, or is there a secret to cooking it?

Takes awhile, make it the night before.

[quote]sniper1 wrote:
Question for you oatmeal lovers. I just bought some steel cut Irish Oatmeal at Whole Foods. First of all, uncooked this stuff doesn’t even resemble oatmeal as most of us know it. Final product had more flavor, and just tasted healthier, but this shit took about 40 minutes to cook. Is this normal, or is there a secret to cooking it? [/quote]

Just buy the 1 minute instant oats made by quaker. Or if you want a little more added flavor and some better texture, go with their original oats. Only adds like an extra 1 minute to total cook time.

P.S. they are hard to miss in the store with their big red tubes they come in.

That’s what I’ve been using for the last couple years. On someones suggestion I tried the better stuff. It really is a lot better tasting, better fiber content. I just thought I might have done something wrong with how long it took. I have both on hand, so on days that I don’t have the time to cook the steel cut oats I’ll use the quaker.

There are some slow cooker recipes that let you whip up a week’s worth of good oats on a sunday or something… gotta find it and do it myself actually. i want to try steel cut oats.

[quote]sniper1 wrote:
Question for you oatmeal lovers. I just bought some steel cut Irish Oatmeal at Whole Foods. First of all, uncooked this stuff doesn’t even resemble oatmeal as most of us know it. Final product had more flavor, and just tasted healthier, but this shit took about 40 minutes to cook. Is this normal, or is there a secret to cooking it? [/quote]

ha ha yea.

I pour boiling water with the oats into a Steel Thermus and let sit over night…

Add honey (if bulking) and milk or
Splenda and cinnamon (if cutting)

Solid

[quote]inthego wrote:
I pour boiling water with the oats into a Steel Thermus and let sit over night…
[/quote]

That’s brilliant! I love simple, can’t believe I didn’t think of it, shit like that. Prep is even faster than the microwave, no stirring and warm oats just waiting for you in the morning!

That’s how I cook asparagus. Pour boiling water over it in pot or dish and let it sit for 6 minutes. Perfectly cooked, not too soggy or bits boiled away.