Calories In, Calories Out

[quote]The_Grim_Reaper wrote:
Well,someone needs to reset their set weight point then.[/quote]

Wow, you’re tremendously helpful I have to say. But everyone else was, so I really don’t have anything to add. Good luck chubby chick! You’ll get where you’re looking to go.

cc

everything looks pretty good. But make sure you’re being honest with your diet. No snacking off of the kids plate! Actually, don’t sweat it. 5’5" and 135 is not a problem. Sure, you may have some areas of concern, men and women do, but you are at a very healthy weight/height.

Sometimes to get to that last fat drop, you really have to suffer. Is that what you want?

Drop almost all carbs. You’ll have to back off some cardio volume, but it may do it for you. But I question why. If it’s where you are genetically predisposed to carry fat, it will take a major effort given your plan now. You eat healthy, you exercise–is it worth the agony to be “perfect.”

Now remember, this comes from a 280 guy. But i’d rather be chubby/healthy than thin/sickly anyday. I’d rather eat comfortably than worry about each morsel. I’d rather relax than fret about a pound or two here or there. And maybe, I’m not being cheap here, you’re caught up with how you think you’re suppose to look, or what you think looks good, as opposed to how you really look. Your husband, and I’m quite sure your children love you and all that encompasses.

Time to enjoy life and your workouts. Stop stressing about them.

3toed sloth, I know its very frustrating! congrats on your Atkins weightloss though. Something works for some people! Thats great.

Sasquatch, Interestingly, I can add pretty much what I want without Gaining, its the loss thats a killer.
so yes, I totally get the concept of “be happy” In my teens I suffered from a severe eating disorder. I walked out of the hospital from being anorexic and started bingeing and purging. I went back and walked out and never looked back. Truly, its been one of my shining achievements to leave behinds such a horrid life.

What it did leave me with though, is a sort of auto shut off valve. Meaning, if theres a huge bowl of Lay’s chips and Dip in front of me at a party depending on how I feel, I can sit and not touch them or I can “let loose” and literally eat 5 and stop. Same with other junk, I just know that if I go past a certain point, I will be uncomfortable psychologically and physically and that prevents me from going overboard. Its kind of a nice feature.

Anyway, what that also does is completely prevent the snacking off the kids plate thing. Even if I did, I feed them pretty healthy, so it wouldnt destroy my body, but no, I don’t snack. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, coffee is 2 cups at the most. I don’t like skinny, skinny. My bod at this point is absolutely acceptable. I would just feel better in my shorts or my bathing suit without that extra pudge.

But by no means do I want a six pack, just a pleasantly flat tummy, not concave or ripped. So I dont think that should be too much of a killer. When I say I eat 1300 cals, its about as precise as can be. Matter of fact, if my Fitday says 1200 I round up,just to cover those miscalculations. I know, I told you. Anyway, you had some great advice and I will implement it.
Thanks again!

I find it interesting that you do everything correctly. I’m not trying to be mean, but it is something I’ve noted in all of your posts. Flat out–it just can’t be. If all you ate was clean, if you ate only 1200-1500 clean cals. and did all that work, you’d just have to be where you want to be.

Let’s get to some meat here. Try changing micro issues. Alter one thing, give it some time to evaluate your response then go to the next.

My first advice would be for you to drink one more qt. of water a day than you are now. That’s based on the info you provided which said you drink a gallon currently. Start there. Do this for a couple of weeks and evaluate.

Next. I’d try and icorporate more protein into your diet. begin by substituting say 20-30g of protein and dropping same amount of carbs to keep energy balance.

How about an aid. HOT-ROX from this site has gotten great reviews. Green tea is great. I know you love coffee, but you have to sacrifice sometimes. If dropping coffee and adding green tea makes the difference is it worth it to you?

To get any more specific I would actually have to train you. I don’t know your running style/program, but I’m sure we could tweak it to maximize fat loss. Same with the weights.

My intent was not to be derogatory in this post. If you’d rather go to PM’s, let’s do that. But, and let’s be honest here, when I here responses to responses like"I do all that already" “I don’t do any of that”, yet your goal has been at arms length for so long, I think a truer evaluation and assessment is worth looking at.

I want you to succeed. Believe me. I want to look at as many fit and healthy women in bathing suits as possible. Let’s get you where you want to be.

Forgive if I missed someone posting this in this thread, but have you read most if not all of the nutrition/diet articles on this site? Dr Berardi addresses the confusion of the ‘C-in, C-out’ rule in a few articles of his. I found a link to some of his articles in his Lucky 13 Interview.

I am not gonna say that you’re correct or wrong in what you’ve done, but I don’t find counting calories as important anymore for predicting outcomes.

cc,

i dont have a solution for you, but i would like to rebut a few remarks made in this thread.

1300 at 135 is not too low when attempting a deficit. this is approximately body weight X 10. some people have to go lower to lose. because others think this screws up your metabolism they say to eat more…

the raise in metabolism that eating more provokes will not offset the amount of calories consumed. if it did then you wouldn’t have gotten fatter in the first place. also, according to this logic, you gained weight because you dropped calories. but you only dropped them for two weeks (at least to 1300)…

dieting for that short a period is not enough time to assess efficacy. some women have been known to need up to 4 weeks to show any fat reduction. fat loss/weight loss is a long term thing. actually, it’s a lifetime thing.

the calories in, calories out paradigm is accurate. confusion about this model appears when people confuse different methods of eliciting calorie deficit with the foundation of how weight is lost.

also, never underestimate peoples ability (and yours) to underestimate cals consumed and overestimate cals burned.

Oh yeah. And telling her she needs to go on a diet where she drinks nothing but protein shakes is being helpful?Lmao. Whole foods whole foods people!@%$#

Hey Sas! Too funny, thats precisely what I would tell someone who came to ME for advice! Obviously something is awry!

First, I don’t know that I drink a gallon of water, I just know I drink “alot” have I filled a milk jug and consumed it thru the day? No. so more water is of course worth a try.

Also, keep in mind, that I’ve only been this low in calories for shy of 2 weeks. So that was kinda my point, that I didnt want to continue to do something if it was really harmful to my bod more than helpful. Also within my main point of Calories In Calories Out. I do NOT get offended.

Trust me!

I am here for help. And I do not mean to come off as Been there done that, simply trying to stress, what I feel I’ve tried in the past. If you were here I’d let ya slap me around to get the “truth” out or follow me and you’d see that I can be very stringent when I want to be.

I don’t believe in “diets” like Atkins or South beach or diets in general. I believe in exercising and eating right. that simplicity “seems” to have failed me thus far. One thing I may be guilty of however is that I may not have worked the Ratios long enough to see a difference. I.E. if I didnt drop a few pounds within a couple weeks, I’d stop watching my ratios and just eat.

Healthy eating, but not ratio controlled. So maybe thats where i need to begin. So am I correct in that you are a Professional or is this just a hobby? Feel free to PM me, and please remember, my feelings dont get hurt! THANK YOU SAS!

“let you slap me around a bit”

I’m so turned on…Anyway

Let’s get it started–I’ll be in touch

I KNEW YOU WERE A DIRTY BOY!

You mentioned having a previous eating disorder. If my memory serves me correctly, there were several other posters on this forum recently, that were experiencing a problem similar to yours: ie. inability to get their metabolism reved up and/or inability to shed those last few pounds of fat.
Could this be a “long term” effect of their former eating disorder?

TNT

absolutely, that could be part of the problem. Keep in mind though, that for years, almost a decade after my last ED incident, I was around 125 and a size 2. Strong and healthy. These damn last 10lbs came with the babies.

[quote]chubbychick wrote:
absolutely, that could be part of the problem. Keep in mind though, that for years, almost a decade after my last ED incident, I was around 125 and a size 2. Strong and healthy. These damn last 10lbs came with the babies.[/quote]

Worth every pound I bet!!!

It’s not a negative cc, and I know you know that. I’ll make you a deal, by X-Mas, you’ll feel really good about the direction you’re heading. You’re just a tweak away from your goals.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
chubbychick wrote:
absolutely, that could be part of the problem. Keep in mind though, that for years, almost a decade after my last ED incident, I was around 125 and a size 2. Strong and healthy. These damn last 10lbs came with the babies.

It’s not a negative cc, and I know you know that. I’ll make you a deal, by X-Mas, you’ll feel really good about the direction you’re heading. You’re just a tweak away from your goals.[/quote]

Maybe with her history she needs more than just a “tweak”. Maybe a big kick start. Maybe her body is resisting that much harder. It’s that old survival thing from the past. Hard to trick the body.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
chubbychick wrote:

It’s not a negative cc, and I know you know that. I’ll make you a deal, by X-Mas, you’ll feel really good about the direction you’re heading. You’re just a tweak away from your goals.

Maybe with her history she needs more than just a “tweak”. Maybe a big kick start. Maybe her body is resisting that much harder. It’s that old survival thing from the past. Hard to trick the body.

TNT

[/quote]

I would be much more inclined to believe that were it not for the 10 year time span. The body is quite adaptive.

[quote]chubbychick wrote:
Hi everyone!I joined and posted a couple question back in July and your suggestions really helped out alot.
Well, I’m back with more.

Here it is, in summary, I am 5’5, 134, bodyfat mid 20’s. I would call myself “muscular” in my build and put on muscle easily. My problem is since my 2 babies were born, literally back to back 5 years ago, I have had this layer of fat over my muscle, so you really can’t tell how muscular I am unless I flex. I love running and have been throught the ringer with being told to cut down on my cardio and up the heavy lifting if I wanna take some fat off. Well I did that starting back in July. Though I put on some nice muscle and really got educated about compound and single joint, etc…I didnt lose much fat and no weight. Not that I’m too hung up on the scale number, but nothing seems to be changing. I would say overall I know alot about nutrition and eat very well/healthy. I go on and off tracking my calories. I am currently taking in around 1300 cals, trying to burn between 400-900cals a day via exercise. Both weights and cardio. Long duration and intervals.

I am tracking down to the penny what goes in my mouth and than following what I burn and trying to come out at a “deficit” of 3500+ a week. Shouldnt I lose weight this way? I have been sick the past few days so I havent been able to exercise but if my BMR is around 1200, I have only been able to get down 900 or so cals due to nausea.

But once I’m back on working out hard 5-6x a week and eating 1300 if I hit that 3500 deficit, shouldnt I drop pounds?! I ask because given my history this hasnt worked in the past, but maybe I was drastically undersestimating cals back than without Fitday.
All your help is greatly appreciated![/quote]

1.Eat at about a 10-20% deficit below maintenance, with 1g protein/lb of bw, EFAs, split up the rest as will allow you to comply with the diet.

1. Get on a basic lifting routine and perform cardio 3-4 times a week, SS if you haven’t been doing it, build up to HIIT for short periods.

If you’re not losing weight/fat, then adjust either 1 down or 2 up. Anything else is just details. Also, mid 20% bf on a female is ~mid teens for male, where losing excess bodyfat starts getting harder. Give it time and adjust accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Also, track everything. People think they’re eating within a certain limit, but unless they’re tracking, can routinely underestimate how much they’re eating.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
TNT-CDN wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
chubbychick wrote:

TNT

I would be much more inclined to believe that were it not for the 10 year time span. The body is quite adaptive.[/quote]

Then how do you explain something like Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome and phobias. After 10 years they should go away??? The body will just adapt??

What if her “metabolism switch” got stuck in low 10 years ago. Never had a transmission get stuck in low gear???
How about a circuit breaker that got fried and wouldn’t reset?

TNT

Tried to post pics, they are jpg, but I cant size them correctly on my desktop. any other suggestions?

As someone above just mentioned take in EFAs [essential fatty acids]- like monopolyunsaturated fats and Omega 3 fats- these will help reduce other fats from accumulating.