T Nation

Calories in a Single Meal

Okay quick question. Relevant information first. I am working out 4-5 days a week doing Max-OT. Weight right now is 200lbs. I am getting ~3300kcals on high days ~3000kcals on medium and ~2800 on low days. I usually have 2 high days and 2 low days and 3 med days.

Generally I eat the following in a day but play with the amounts and such.

Breakfast
1 cup oats, 2 tablespoons pb, 1 scoop whey, 2 tbsp brown sugar and cinnamon - ~660kcals

Snack
Unsweetened bakers chocolate - ~280kcals

Lunch
Veggies, 2 tbsp olive oil, half a tin of canned chicken, 4 eggs, 1/2 whites, and sometimes a few slices of cheese on top - ranges from ~800 - 1010kcals

Snack
1/2 mixed nuts - ~480kcals

Post workout shake - ~280kcals

Another shake 1 scoop mutant mass gainer and 1 scoop mutant whey - ~400kcals

Dinner
1 cup rice, half tin of canned chicken, sometimes egg sometimes cheese sometimes tuna with it - ~500-600kcals

Usually get ~130g fat, ~300g carb and ~ 270g protein.

My question is: I was reading in Dr. Clay's book that he tries to eat just under as many calories in a meal as he will use in the coming hours, so is my big ~1000kcal lunch too big for one sitting considering I have an office type job and then proceed to sit for hours after or is it OK? I have been doing this for a few months and me weight is rising steadily but not too quickly and strength continues to improve, but I have a bit of a gut. So basically I am wondering if this large number of midday calories is helping me store more fat than if I split it into two meals?

Thanks in advance.

Learn to count macros over cals. At a quick glance I can already tell you’re way short protein.

How am I way short protein, I am getting well over 1g per pound of bw…

[quote]MMAniac wrote:
How am I way short protein, I am getting well over 1g per pound of bw…[/quote]

I had a quick look, and I think you would be struggling to get over 150 grams of protein on your current diet.

tweet

Breakfast
1 cup oats, 2 tablespoons pb, 1 scoop whey, 2 tbsp brown sugar and cinnamon - ~660kcals
F-23g C-82g P-40

Snack
F-30g C-18g P-6g

Lunch
Veggies, 2 tbsp olive oil, half a tin of canned chicken, 4 eggs, 1/2 whites, and sometimes a few slices of cheese on top - ranges from ~800 - 1010kcals
F-37g C-0g P-77g (apparently 1 container of that canned Kirkland cooked chunked chicken breast from Costco has 78g of protein which seems high honestly but I am going with what the label says

Snack
F-29g C-27g P-17g

F-0g C-30g P-30g (usually more since I do a scoop and a half most times)

F-7g C-50g P-35g

Dinner
1 cup rice, half tin of canned chicken, sometimes egg sometimes cheese sometimes tuna with it - ~500-600kcals
F-3g C-45g P-73g

So here my totals would be F-129g C-252g P-278g (the only way I could be way low on protein is if that Kirkland label is full of bs and there isn’t 78g in 1 container, but still wouldn’t be as low as some here are estimating. But I appreciate the feedback. I will still up the protein and maybe drop some fat since I think I get a lot. Any other feedback would be appreciated as would some insight into my initial question.

I doubt that big-ish lunch would be the reason. How fast have you been gaining weight?

One comment - looks like breakfast would also be a bit of an insulin spike, and depending on how sensitive you are, might not be the best strategy so early on in the day if you train evenings. Why not swap the breakfast macros with the lunch macros so that you’ve got a few more carbs in your system come training time? Or make lunch somewhat smaller and try to get ample carbs peri-workout?

Also, what’s the sugar content of that mass gainer? How long are you taking that after training? Might be worth skipping that and throwing some dextrose/malto/BCAAs or whey during the workout.

The size of a single meal is much, much less important that the total number of calories over the course of the day, week in and week out. I imagine the difference would be so negligible that it would not be noticeable to the naked eye if you spread those 400-500 calories out over another meal.

Are you gaining weight on this diet? If so, how much per week/month?

Have you gotten more fat on this setup than when you started? Some fat gain is to be expected on a gaining diet, but in general one should not “get fat” while gaining.

The ultimate answer is how is this working for you? If your lifts are continuing to go up and you are getting more muscular with minimal fat gain, stay the course. If you are getting too fat, scale back some of the calories and try it out for 4 weeks, then readjust again.

[quote]MMAniac wrote:
Breakfast
F-23g C-82g P-40

Snack
F-30g C-18g P-6g

Lunch
F-37g C-0g P-77g (apparently 1 container of that canned Kirkland cooked chunked chicken breast from Costco has 78g of protein which seems high honestly but I am going with what the label says

Snack
F-29g C-27g P-17g

F-0g C-30g P-30g (usually more since I do a scoop and a half most times)

F-7g C-50g P-35g

Dinner
F-3g C-45g P-73g

So here my totals would be F-129g C-252g P-278g (the only way I could be way low on protein is if that Kirkland label is full of bs and there isn’t 78g in 1 container, but still wouldn’t be as low as some here are estimating. But I appreciate the feedback. I will still up the protein and maybe drop some fat since I think I get a lot. Any other feedback would be appreciated as would some insight into my initial question.
[/quote]

I would lower fats and add more carbs. I have that canned chicken and mine reads 13g per serving 3.5 servings (45.5g protein).

Ah ok. That’s alot of protein in a tin. I was picturing something like 30-40g per tin only.

@kgildner - I have been gaining weight at a fairly consistent pace. I started working out consistently again in January and shot up quick plus started taking creatine as well so weight went up fast holding onto water, etc., but weight gain has steadied off and gains come more slowly now which is good.

In terms of the breakfast I thought about what you said and cut out the sugar and upped the protein so it now looks like F-28g C-73g P-63g. I add a good amount of cinnamon to that and also thought it was good to get carbs and sugar in the morning to break that fasted state and refill liver with glycogen. But I agree I need more carbs before my workouts on tough days cause it’s harder to push without em.

One scoop of the gainer is kcals 265, F-4g C-44g P-13g and 8.5g of sugar. I take that about an hour after training. So its two shakes both carb and protein heavy after training and I forgot to mention I take a lot of BCAA’s and Glutamine during my workout, and some days a banana and half scoop whey before.

@Lonnie - I sorta covered my weight gain eating like this, but I have noticed my stomach is bloated/distended and in a t-shirt it hangs over my pecs until my gut - so my pecs and gut stick out the same amount roughly haha. The thing is fat gain anywhere else is not even perceptible so I am not sure if it is more digestive issues or fat gain…

I will try to post some recent pics to give a better sense, but they were taken first thing in the morning so the bloat is not visible.

These pics are from a few weeks ago and do not show the bloat that happens throughout the day, but give an impression of bf levels.

How you split you caloric intake per meal through out the day doesn’t have much, if any, effect on your results, minus the how hungry you are and stuff.

Your body doesn’t digest things meal by meal, so it’s fine. You are pretty lean, if wanting to get leaner, you probably either need to lower calories or do some cardio, as simple as that.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:
How you split you caloric intake per meal through out the day doesn’t have much, if any, effect on your results, minus the how hungry you are and stuff.

Your body doesn’t digest things meal by meal, so it’s fine. You are pretty lean, if wanting to get leaner, you probably either need to lower calories or do some cardio, as simple as that. [/quote]

Right, I think if the last 10 years of in-the-trenches physique eating has shown us anything its that a wide variety of eating schedules all seem to work quite well, and that at the end of the day calories are king.

Your pictures show us that you are certainly NOT fat, not by any stretch, so I would continue eating in your current manner and maybe even up the calories SLIGHTLY if you want to continue to gain, or decrease SLIGHTLY to lose fat.