Calories for Skinny Fat Lifter? 6'7", 210 Pounds

That is fat all over??

That is just a complete lack of muscle.

4 Likes

You need more muscle: 10, 15, or even 20 pounds. I would not worry about losing fat, at least not now. Do the 30-10-30 program again.

5 Likes

I’ve dated skinny fat women. It’s deceiving. They look slim, but when you touch them, they are mushy.

It’s both lack of muscle and fat.

2 Likes

I’m on it. Thanks for the advice. At minimum I’ll post pictures in 5 weeks as a follow up.

1 Like

Yes a complete lack of muscle covered with a thin layer of fat! Here’s you’re chance Dr Darden for a Peoria Experiment ( or where ever he lives?) make him look like Clint Walker!
Scott

1 Like

I find my body fights to stay the same weight, so based on that it might be an opportunity to eat as much as needed to work on turning fat into muscle.

Had to Google Clint Walker. Not saying you guys are old…

Here is an old reference - I’ll go from Jim Palmer in his old underwear ads to Clint Walker.

You’ll look great with muscle even at the same amount of fat.

What area do you live in?

1 Like

But Clint Walker was 6’6”
Scott

Mid-Atlantic… thanks for the inspiring words. Glad to come here, ask advice, be told to eat and train hard. It’s lot better than not eating and training hard lol.

I don’t know how people feel about them but I’d getaways cheap scale that measures body comp, stick with 30 10 30 for another round, up your sleep, weigh yourself every day at the same time, and don’t give up. Increase your NEPA. Non exercise physical activity. Increase cold water intake.
Aaaaaaaand relax.
Gym membership or train at home?

Do NOT weigh yourself if you are lifting weights. The scale means nothing when you are building muscle.

Those body comp scales are crap. Total waste of money.

1 Like

Up your calories to 3000( still nothing at 6’7) keep sources clean. -Get in plenty of quality beef, greens, eggs rice etc

Reaaally push it on squats/main leg move

Perfect world do something like ‘Hour of power’ in article below like every 10 days. Adjust frequency back or forth if still not gaining…
https://www.t-nation.com/training/cure-for-skinny

your age ?
lift 2 times per week ,basic movements
1/day/.dead lift + overheadpress
2/day/ bench + squad
just one set warmup then one work set / 4-6 reps / . nothing else .
rest 2/3 days b/w workouts . sleep is major factor & high carb evening meal

Thanks for all who answered my original post, including Dr. Darden. I got some great advice from several of you that I’m going to implement over the coming weeks. I’m blessed to be rural with a home gym that’s fairly stocked with free weights and a couple of machines, so I’m going to another round of Extreme HIT and aim for 3,000-3,500 calories, of which at least 50% will be carbs. Keep it simple, move with as little time as possible between exercises, and aim to add muscle to my frame.

If I can pull it off I’ll post videos of the workouts and you guys can give further advice. At the minimum, I will follow up with pictures in 5 weeks.

Thanks again.

Alex

Upping your calories to 3000-3500 will help you build muscle, but you will also gain fat. Some people here don’t care about fat gain. You mentioned you were concerned with fat, so that’s not good advice for you.

If you’re at least 15%+ bodyfat, that probably means you’re already eating enough to gain muscle. I would look more toward the quality of your food ensuring enough good protein, healthy fats, and quality/fibrous carbs before adding more food… If you’re over 40, I wouldn’t want to gain much if any fat from a health perspective. If you decide to add calories, do it slowly (maybe 300 or so a day to start). Focus on all muscle groups including a good lower body compound movement. Look at inroading the muscles, not getting carried away with adding too much weight too quickly, and focus on contraction of the muscle. Sleep is important to recovery as well.

2 Likes

==Scott==
So you have a gym at home and I’m wondering what kind of workout you have done in the past and how often did you workout ? If you are rural or live in the country I’d guess you keep pretty active keeping the place in line?

I agree on the accuracy but when I used one against a BodyPod, the change on the readings was good. The scale was off quite a bit, but before/after on the body pod and the scale were very similar.

I use skin calipers and a Tanita scale. Nothing fancy. The Tanita measures BF about 5% higher than the calipers, but both move in sync as I either I gain or lose. That is the key really; knowing the general trend versus pure precision. I also use tape measurements and bodyweight.

1 Like