T Nation

Calories for Gain

Hey guys, again thanks in advance for your help.
So back from my previous posts i am now set on gaining around 10 pounds…

I am going to start eating a quality 3000 cals a day. 1gram or more of protein per pound of bodyweight.

To gain slowly do you guys think that is enough eating?
Stats:
5’5’
160 lbs.
3 day cardio either run 2-4 miles or stationary bike 3 miles
2 day heavy, heavy lift.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Its a good starting point. Stick to it for 2 weeks, and if you aren’t growing, add another 250cals, and you should be good to go. Rinse and repeat.

[quote]superman_6_0_6 wrote:
Hey guys, again thanks in advance for your help.
So back from my previous posts i am now set on gaining around 10 pounds…

I am going to start eating a quality 3000 cals a day. 1gram or more of protein per pound of bodyweight.

To gain slowly do you guys think that is enough eating?
Stats:
5’5’
160 lbs.
3 day cardio either run 2-4 miles or stationary bike 3 miles
2 day heavy, heavy lift.

Any advice is much appreciated.[/quote]

You want to gain 10 lbs, but plan on doing cardio 3 days/week?

Good luck.

Despite the fact that the last comment was loaded with sarcasm, I will take the luck. let me explain.

I maintain cardion in my workouts for one very simple reason. Who wants to be muscular if you can’t run 10 feet?

I am going for a good well rounded fitness here. Yes, i am small and wouldn’t mind adding some weight to truly meet my potential as the muscular little troll i know i can be, but i don’t want to sacrifice overall well being. Fitness is all encompassing, it’s not limited to just size gains.

Despite the fact that the last comment was loaded with sarcasm, I will take the luck. let me explain.

I maintain cardion in my workouts for one very simple reason. Who wants to be muscular if you can’t run 10 feet?

I am going for a good well rounded fitness here. Yes, i am small and wouldn’t mind adding some weight to truly meet my potential as the muscular little troll i know i can be, but i don’t want to sacrifice overall well being. Fitness is all encompassing, it’s not limited to just size gains. [/quote]

The sarcasm is dripping with seriousness actually.

If you intend on gaining 10 lbs of lean muscle mass, you should consider increasing your strength training and reducing your cardio.

Upping your calories to simply burn them off by running 9 miles a week isn’t going to get you there.

It sounds like your goals might be a bit different than weight gain.

Superman, I am a runner and swimmer by sport. I have not done any cardio in 2 weeks (will be 4 in total) and I still have the same endurance. I do a short 10-minute HIIT session once a week to assess myself.

Agreed with Polish Rifle, reduce the cardio. Just my two.

I submit, i submit. If the overall knowledge consensus is there for it then so be it.
But it’s going to have to come in the form of dropping one day of cardio or something.

Adding a weight training day will be tough due to schedule…

Having the boys running around in the afternoon makes it tough to steal the hour i need to lift…
One weekend day and one week day is usually the most i can muster…

Oh, and rifle, no offense ment with the sarcasm thing.

It was just a short post…

Yeah, I should have caught that when I posted. You’d be much better off with 3 heavy lifting days and 2 days of HIIT instead of distance work if you really feel you need cardio.

Oh, and rifle, no offense ment with the sarcasm thing.

It was just a short post…[/quote]

No worries bud… I have a tendency to construct short posts.

I was 175 lbs soaking wet for the majority of my life. It’s only the past 5 years or so that I managed to break the 230 lb barrier. Now, I’m more comfortable around 215.

Keep working hard, I hope you reach your goals!

"Having the boys running around in the afternoon makes it tough to steal the hour i need to lift… "

Who says you can’t just load one over each shoulder and do squats? Military press? Be creative, make your family part of the fun!

Doing cardio is not bad, and you can still gain weight. You just have to eat significantly more. If you want to gain in conditioning it should be 2+ days a week, you only need 1 for maintenance, so unless you just enjoy it, it’s not necessary.

On the other hand, you are doing cardio more than lifting, you should always do whatever your goal is with the most frequency. Lift hard heavy often, eat often and you will gain your weight fastest.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Doing cardio is not bad, and you can still gain weight. You just have to eat significantly more.
[/quote]

exactly. To say otherwise is foolish, and it will actually help increase gains. But eating more sometimes can suck

You can do the cardio and eat quite a bit. But I would definately lift more than 2 days/week. I’d probably do 4 days/week and 2-3 cardio sessions.

Two sessions a week sounds like your channeling Metzer.

I don’t see what the problem would be with him doing a minimum of 2 cardio sessions a week.

Helps recovery, sheds a bit of bodyfat, even if his goal is to gain weight.

And, I’ve never had a problem with just shoving an extra 500-800 calories in my mouth to compensate anyhow.

/shrug