Calories Burned By Muscle

Does anyone have a reference to how many calories 1 pound of muscle burns in 1 day

i have seen figures of 15 and 35, but can’t find any properly refernced studies

I don’t think there’s really a concensus. But I’m not sure it really matters either. More muscle = more calories burned = more calories needed to maintain. The exact number doesn’t really matter.

sounds more like 15 to me. Think about it. If you are a lean ass 215 lb guy,with 200lbs of muscle, your maintenace is going to be around 3,000 cals a day…not 7,000.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t think there’s really a concensus. But I’m not sure it really matters either. More muscle = more calories burned = more calories needed to maintain. The exact number doesn’t really matter.[/quote]

This is true. Also, there is no way to factor in how many extra calories would be needed to then move the extra muscular body weight during regular activities. It also still doesn’t account for basal metabolic rate.

surely the basal metabolic rate is set by the amount of muscle??

“set” it, i doubt it. Play a big part in it, of course.

I read about a test done on a guy before and after a major weight training/muscle building endeavor. The test was done at the U of Florida school of Med. The guy’s (only one person involved, take from that what you will) resting metabolic rate was 1552 kcals/day. This was done with equipment measuring the amount of oxygen consumed and CO2 expelled.

The individual weighed about 175 at the time. At the end of the program, he weighed just over 190, for an overall gain of 18 pounds of muscle, give or take. His rate had risen to 2082 kcals/day, or, an increase of 530 kcals. This translated into 28.6 kcals per pound of muscle per day.

Again, take from these results what you will. I am sure there are many other factors involved with different people that would push the numbers higher or lower. But it does provide us with some interesting food for thought.

[quote]teedog wrote:
I read about a test done on a guy before and after a major weight training/muscle building endeavor. The test was done at the U of Florida school of Med. The guy’s (only one person involved, take from that what you will) resting metabolic rate was 1552 kcals/day. This was done with equipment measuring the amount of oxygen consumed and CO2 expelled.

The individual weighed about 175 at the time. At the end of the program, he weighed just over 190, for an overall gain of 18 pounds of muscle, give or take. His rate had risen to 2082 kcals/day, or, an increase of 530 kcals. This translated into 28.6 kcals per pound of muscle per day.

Again, take from these results what you will. I am sure there are many other factors involved with different people that would push the numbers higher or lower. But it does provide us with some interesting food for thought. [/quote]

I don’t think that’s neccessarily accurate. There’s one missing paramater that could significantly alter this data:

Did the subject train initially and was he still training when they took the second test.
Supposing he was not training at the initial test his BMR was not elevated by microtrauma induced by lifting. If the second test was shortly after (a day or two relatively) a weight-training session his BMR would be elevated significantly (5-20% I believe I just don’t remember exactly) from the microtrauma induced by lifting.

[quote]Proteinpowda wrote:
teedog wrote:
Did the subject train initially and was he still training when they took the second test.
[/quote]

Yes & Yes, though it was conducted after a six hour fast.