Calorie Intake Question

I looked into the mirror today, realized despite increasing my squat over 100 lbs in the past 2 years I also gained about 30lbs of fat…and I need to lose it.

I don’t need any advice as far as dieting is concerned. I have lost weight successfully in the past. I’m going to stick to something simple, a big rule being avoid sugary foods and unnecessary snacking and keeping an accurate food diary.

I did try to diet a few months ago, but I didnt make it a priority given that I had a lot of personal stuff going on in my life which lead to a very back “fuck it” attitude. Not to mention eating a good meal feels just as good as having sex for me haha.

Onto the question:

When I last dieted I just used an online calorie counter and stuck to the number it spit out. It worked. However, this time around I am training harder and am much more muscular. Right now I am doing German Volume Training (or the 10-Set method if you prefer) with great results. I am on my 4th week now and plan on sticking with this type of training long term as I really enjoy the high volume/short rest period type lifting.

I would like to know what a good estimate for my caloric intake would be to maintain my weight as of now. I don’t trust those online calculators since my body composition has changed since the last time I got fat.

Useful data:
I am 5’9" about 235lbs 36 inch waste.

Don’t really know my maxes.

The weird thing is that even though I gained weight it doesn’t show too much because I have built up muscle. My sister and her friend even commented last night that even though I gained weight I look much stronger and tougher.

You are saying that you knew your numbers, stuck to it and it worked. Now you are on a different program and you want us to give you a number? would 2657.34 be good enough?

only you can determine that number. Everyone one here can give you a “rule of thumb” number, but you are the only one that can answer that.

Good place to start would be the same as last time and add 500 (I am basing that number on you working out harder then last time and for the fat that you gain since last time). See how you feel/look every week and make appropriate adjustments.

Good luck.

JFG gave good advice. Or you can just start reducing calories from what you’re eating now. Drop 500, see if you lose weight over the next 2 weeks. If you do, keep it. If you don’t, drop another 300-500. Repeat.

Sound simple enough. I just have no experience dieting and strength training simultaneously. I assume that the cookie-cutter calorie calculators do not take into account muscle mass, hence I was curious if there are less known rules of thumb.

[quote]Aero51 wrote:
Sound simple enough. I just have no experience dieting and strength training simultaneously. I assume that the cookie-cutter calorie calculators do not take into account muscle mass, hence I was curious if there are less known rules of thumb. [/quote]

Peri-workout nutrition would be key for “cutting and strength gain”.

But to answer your question, amount of calories is only one aspect. Article written recently about a calorie is not necessarily a calorie. Amount, timing and quality all play a role. Just find your sweet spot and what your body reacts to.

Good luck.