T Nation

Calorie Expenditure?

Hi all. Wasn’t sure where to put this question. Hope it’s okay here. I was looking at some charts which tell you the amount of calories you burn during an hour of a specific exercise and I was wondering if the numbers they give are based n doing the activity continuously for an hour or do they factor in breaks of some kind?

Thanks

[quote]gnesr wrote:
Hi all. Wasn’t sure where to put this question. Hope it’s okay here. I was looking at some charts which tell you the amount of calories you burn during an hour of a specific exercise and I was wondering if the numbers they give are based n doing the activity continuously for an hour or do they factor in breaks of some kind?[/quote]
You might be able to find some charts online but it’s pretty tough to calculate any more than a guesstimate because it’ll depend on the individual’s muscle and fat composition, the volume/amount of exercise, the intensity of exercise (which will effect how many calories are burned after the workout), pre-workout nutrition/supplements… just a lot of variables that make it not really worth tracking.

Any particular reason you wanted to know? If it was really important to track, say for a medical condition, you could invest in a decent heart rate monitor. That would probably be the most accurate bet.