Calorie Deficit and Metabolism?

Thanks, man. I try my best but there is still a lot of stuff to learn, process and understand. Because, while I think it can pay dividends to just experiment and do it, it is more rewarding to actually understand the science behind what you are doing to yourself (or suggesting to others).

I suppose it has been an evolutionary process: keto; fasting; carnivore, with deviations along the way.

The key authorities for me:

• Phinney & Volek: ‘The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance’. This really is the original standalone authority. I would also recommend Jacob Wilson’s ‘Ketogenic Bible’. Despite the author’s own recent indiscretions, the book is more up to date with a myriad of studies.

• Jason Fung: ‘The Obesity Code’. Fung illustrates the role insulin plays in weight management and overall health. By doing so, it explains why 98% of diets fail and effectively debunks the whole kcals in/kcal out as an overly simplistic myth.

• Paul Saladino: ‘The Carnivore Code’. This was the real eye opener for me. It takes the insulin paradigm one step further by showing how things such as PUFAs cause insulin resistance. Apart from being very smart, Saladino is also walks the walk and has streamed some of his workouts. Obviously Shawn Baker is streets ahead when it comes to strength and mass. I respect the guy hugely but for me Saladino’s book is way ahead of Shawn’s.

In practice, I wouldn’t say putting this all together means completely pain free dieting. But you can get into pretty decent shape quite easily.

2 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the references.

I should have added @EyeDentist to that list of folks that seems to follow and prescribe and insulin-dependent approach and is clearly very intelligent and educated in the subject matter.

Tagging him now not necessarily for more info, but so anyone stumbling across this thread can know where to go with their own questions.

Alot of good information Here thanks alot.
:smiley:

1 Like

I think a break of 6 months is a long time, be prepared to work hard to get back into shape. Nutrition alone is not enough, you need weight training, cardio. Good luck!

I know this is old but what you said here really hit home to me. Im having the same a similar issue and was hoping you might give me some advice… I have been bodybuilding for over 10 years mostly on (I took 3 years off in the middle ) and you would think I have all the answers by now but really still trying to figure out my body. I meal prep every day and currently on a 2500 cal diet. I am just stalled totally. I can not gain or lose anything . I think my body is frozen. IM literally to the point where IM consuming 1.5gm protean daily (by the way im 5ft8 210lbs) I have almost cut carbs totally out of my diet just to reduce the calories but I need them for sure after training. My body is not metabolizing it seems. Now to be fair I have a fairly aggressive workout regarding rest times but im getting no cardio in at all. I have using this diet for years and it does nothing how can I cut calories from 2500 if im not consuming carbs except in the morning and a protien shake after training . I cant reduce my protein. Any advice would help anyway to contact you direct?

Are you really asking how to cut cals from 2500? :rofl:

My last cut I started at around 2100. If you were at 1500, your question would make sense.

How did you cut and able to maintain your allowed protein intake. here is my diet exactly
meal 1 --6 eggs scrambled and 3 red potatoes steamed (carbs)
meal 2-- 1/4 cup of green beans and 8 oz grilled chicken breast
meal 3–same as above
snack–2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
meal 4 --same as above
snack–protein shake post workout (carbs)
meal 5 – 1/4 cup green beans and 8 oz grilled chicken breast
Also i get im doing no cardio but keep my time in between sets short (30-60sec)

Maybe you could try cutting this out?

That’s an easy 200kcal out

Try replacing this with something leafy. Leafy greens are less calorically dense so you can eat a lot more for less calories

From a health standpoint, it might also be good to vary your protein sources. Maybe consider throwing in some fish?

Your trying to rip the life right from me arent you? I knew that also but its my only pleasure.Damn it Anna

Could swap some or all of the eggs for egg whites, although there wouldn’t be much fat in your diet then so maybe not. Could also reduce or get rid of the potatoes for breakfast. What’s in the shake post workout?

Also just doing some quick maths:

1.5x 216lb = 315g of protein
315g x 4 = 1260 cals of protein

So should be some room to cut stuff out.

1 Like

this is the shake!

also im 210 . which wouldn’t be much different if I said 216 sorry stil would be 315gm so im under that really

So really im only at 250gm of protein

Okay so 250g protein = 1000 cals

That shake has 60 none protein cals if since it’s 160 cal total with 25g protein.

So now we are left with 2500 - 1000 - 60 = 1440 cals left from basically the peanut butter, eggs and potatoes I guess. How big are all these portions? That seems quite a lot.

Do you know your macros for each meal and are you weighing stuff out?

I just wanna add the disclaimer that looking at your profile picture you look like you have at least twice as much muscle as me so I might not be the best person to advise you and there’s lots of more knowledgeable guys on here. I just have some spare time so wanted to try help.

Do you know how to count macros?

Oh the eggs were 6 fulls eggs and also wanted to thank you for taking the time to maybe help me out here.

Well I have been doing this a long time im just stuck so any advice could help me. I listed the portions in a previous post only 3 red potatoes steamed with my first meal and only 2 tablespoons of peanut butter a day. Yes my macros were 235p 112 c and 72.3 f

yes I just listed my daily macros above 250g p 112.66 c and 72.3g f

Those macros add up to 2101 calories, using of 250g protein not 235g.

my program recorded 2490 I use “Lose It”