Calorie Cycling

Hi there been training for few years. Over this last year really sort diet consists of mostly
Sweet potato
Chicken
Nuts
Various veg and fruits daily

Very clean diet. Now I was thinking of going one week calorie surplus and one week calorie deflict. Only around 500 cals either way so nothing to extreme. I was just wondering if there was any problems or any set backs on this approach. I’m not looking to get overly big just nicely shaped whilst staying between 10. And 14% bf year round.

Was thinking it would keep the body guessing and dipping into body fat stores every couple weeks aswell as making my dieting not so monogamous. Maybe a 2 week cycle or soemthing to Giv the body slightly longer to repair on the calorie surplus.

[quote]Josephsewell wrote:
Hi there been training for few years. Over this last year really sort diet consists of mostly
Sweet potato
Chicken
Nuts

Very clean diet. Now I was thinking of going one week calorie surplus and one week calorie deflict. Only around 500 cals either way so nothing to extreme. I was just wondering if there was any problems or any set backs on this approach. I’m not looking to get overly big just nicely shaped whilst staying between 10. And 14% bf year round.

Was thinking it would keep the body guessing and dipping into body fat stores every couple weeks aswell as making my dieting not so monogamous. Maybe a 2 week cycle or soemthing to Giv the body slightly longer to repair on the calorie surplus.[/quote]

This is interesting I would also like to hear more about this.

I think cycling calories through the week is more conventional.

Check Berardi and Miyaki’s books about IF

Mat’

Sweet potato
Chicken
Nuts

Was thinking it would keep the body guessing…[/quote]

An other way to keep your body guessing is to eat a more varied diet. Chicken as the sole protein source is probably not the healthiest way to go.

Yeah sorry forgot to include oats and eggs and salmon once a week

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Sweet potato
Chicken
Nuts

An other way to keep your body guessing is to eat a more varied diet. Chicken as the sole protein source is probably not the healthiest way to go.
[/quote]

Why?

Just wondering I’ve been eating the same things everyday for like ever now

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Sweet potato
Chicken
Nuts

[/quote]

Why?

Just wondering I’ve been eating the same things everyday for like ever now[/quote]

Because variety ensures that one does not become deficient in any specific nutrient.

You must be eating a nutritionally complete diet if you have been doing it for a long time with no adverse effects.

I actually considered making this thread a few weeks ago before I read an older calorie cycling thread. It is definitely an interesting idea and I think it does hold some merit.

I try to eat a certain amount of calories depending on what my workout is supposed to be that day. So leg day, I will eat the most calories and an off day I will eat the least. I’m curious to see how this will work on a weekly scale, which I think is the minimum amount of time for something like this to be noticeable.

^ I basically do the Same this mentoned. Starting the week are my bigger muscle groups, Legs, Chest, Back, and on thoes days I eat more calories/carbs…and decrease calories/carbs as the week progress, Sunday being no carb/low calories. Followed by Mon/Legs refeed day.