Calorie Counting

Hey Guys,

I’m trying to calculate Kcals for the Carb Cycling Codex. However, I get quite a descrepancy when using:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

and simply using the rule of thumb that there are 4 calories in 1g of CHO, 4 calories in 1g of PRO, and 9 calories in 1g of FAT.

I have been caculating my daily total of calories based on summing all of the food of my calories. Then I decided to sum the protein/cho/fat totals of all my foods then using the 4/4/9 rule. At the end of the day I get a 225 calorie difference btw each method. Believe me, I have checked all my totals and they are exactly as stated on the website given above.

So, which way should I tally my calorie count?

Thanks
-PK1

Every equation is just an estimate start at one and see what it does after two weeks gian, lose, maintain. You with any equaton have to tweek to get it to fit you. Find your Maint intake then adjust for your gaols by 250 to 500.

I find a simple 16 x BW is close to maint for me.

Hope that helps,
Phill

use fitday.com for calorie counting…

[quote]gym rat wrote:
Hey Guys,

I’m trying to calculate Kcals for the Carb Cycling Codex. However, I get quite a descrepancy when using:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/cgi-bin/list_nut_edit.pl

and simply using the rule of thumb that there are 4 calories in 1g of CHO, 4 calories in 1g of PRO, and 9 calories in 1g of FAT.

I have been caculating my daily total of calories based on summing all of the food of my calories. Then I decided to sum the protein/cho/fat totals of all my foods then using the 4/4/9 rule. At the end of the day I get a 225 calorie difference btw each method. Believe me, I have checked all my totals and they are exactly as stated on the website given above.

So, which way should I tally my calorie count?

Thanks
-PK1[/quote]

Which way of counting is the number higher?

If cals total is higher than cals macro- then this is probably ok. There is more to food than just the macros. Most manufacturers don’t like to, or have to, count the fiber in their calorie intake. They also do not have to follow the 4/4/9 rule if they have data to prove the FDA otherwise. I remember reading that some manufacturers go as far as trying to say some types of fat (mono and unsat) have less than 9 cals/gram. Don’t know how they prove that, or if they have been successful.