Calorie/Carb Cycling for Fat Loss

I’ve read a few articles by CT and JB which suggest a staggered carbs approach for fat loss. Basically more carbs on training days and less on non-training days.

I even remember an article (don’t have it on hand right now) where you could tier the carbs (e.g. 50g one day, 100g the next, and 150g the third, then repeat).

The idea being that carb restriction will aid in fat loss while the extra carb (and calories) boost will help maintain LBM.

As I was looking around I came across this
johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.samsbiz.com/page/1ed7e/Home.html

The basic idea here is a what he calls an “Up Day Down Day” method of eating where on the Up day you eat until you satisfied while on the “down” day you limit your intake between 20%-50%.

His premise is that the low-cal stress days will activate the SIRT1 gene which can aid in fat loss (I did a quick google search on this and there seem to be a few papers talking about how the SIRT1 promotes fat mobilization). So the idea being that on the “down days” you should lose fat while the “up” days will help preserve your LBM and metabolism.

Now I’m wondering if there is a way to put this together?

(Oh, and even though the guy says to eat until satisfied, let’s assume that I eat clean and within my active metabolism range as prescribed in the CT and JB articles).

Would drastically reducing your calories and carbs on non-training days help promote fat loss? Or would the low calories actually hurt you?

And if the low-cals do help, would a 1-day off period be adequate? Or would you need a longer low-cal period?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or info!

Have you read this then?

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=811783

I cannot believe I missed this article…thanks rsg!

[quote]jjl wrote:
I cannot believe I missed this article…thanks rsg![/quote]

No worries, and by the way, when following this as a diet I had one of my cleanest bulks ever.

Ask Tampa-Terry for her carb and calorie cycling (c3) plan. I don’t know if she updated it since I got a copy.

[quote]rsg wrote:
No worries, and by the way, when following this as a diet I had one of my cleanest bulks ever.[/quote]

That’s good to hear! Can’t wait to try it.

[quote]yorik wrote:
Ask Tampa-Terry for her carb and calorie cycling (c3) plan. I don’t know if she updated it since I got a copy.[/quote]

Will do, thanks yorik!