Calorie Boosting Ideas?

After a month or so of training at University, despite ‘looking bigger’ in the mirror and actually increasing my strength levels (10kg+ on box squat, other areas showing signs of improvement), my weight has actually dropped from 168ish to around 163 or so with the following changes/improvements in my diet:

-Using low GI carbs, besides around workout times
-Increasing fish oil intake
-Increasing veg and fruit intake
-Making sure to hit an absolute minumum of 3000 or so cals almost totally clean

Clearly eating so cleanly consistantly is great for fat loss, but that really isn’t my goal. So my question is what are some simple tricks people find to bump calories cleanly? Cheers.

Off the top of my head:
Spoonfuls of PB
Spoonfuls of Olive Oil
Adding oats to protein shakes

1.) Make a bag of trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, jerky, M&M’s, ect) and make a point to munch on it all day. If you make, say, a 1000 calorie bag and be sure to finish it every day, you’re in good shape.

2.) I think it was Joe DeFranco who had the “power hour” idea. Once a week sit down and stuff yourself for one hour, competitive eater style. Nothing is off limits. I’ve done a variation with some of my friends. We go to an all-you-can-eat buffet (chinese, Cici’s, Shoneys, whatever) and who ever eats the least has to pay for everyone.

3.) Use Wendler’s idea to make sure to eat 2 lbs of beef, 12 eggs, and a gallon of whole-fat milk per day, in addition to whatever else you’re downing.

4.) This is kind of ridiculous, but pretend you’re a viking or dinosaur when you eat. It works amazing.

5.) The DC guys have recommended doing cardio first thing to bump up your appetite throughout the day. That’s worked pretty well for me.

6.) A few scoops of ice cream in your shakes. Best shit ever.

7.) “Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.” - GK Chesterton

That’s it for now.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
1.) Make a bag of trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, jerky, M&M’s, ect) and make a point to munch on it all day. If you make, say, a 1000 calorie bag and be sure to finish it every day, you’re in good shape.

2.) I think it was Joe DeFranco who had the “power hour” idea. Once a week sit down and stuff yourself for one hour, competitive eater style. Nothing is off limits. I’ve done a variation with some of my friends. We go to an all-you-can-eat buffet (chinese, Cici’s, Shoneys, whatever) and who ever eats the least has to pay for everyone.

3.) Use Wendler’s idea to make sure to eat 2 lbs of beef, 12 eggs, and a gallon of whole-fat milk per day, in addition to whatever else you’re downing.

4.) This is kind of ridiculous, but pretend you’re a viking or dinosaur when you eat. It works amazing.

5.) The DC guys have recommended doing cardio first thing to bump up your appetite throughout the day. That’s worked pretty well for me.

6.) A few scoops of ice cream in your shakes. Best shit ever.

7.) “Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.” - GK Chesterton

That’s it for now.[/quote]

Good list for you to start with. Also, just because eating healthy has helped you drop fat doesn’t mean you should look to unhealthy options to gain some more weight. Stick with the clean diet that you have constructed, it will help you in multiple facets of life.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

Good list for you to start with. Also, just because eating healthy has helped you drop fat doesn’t mean you should look to unhealthy options to gain some more weight. Stick with the clean diet that you have constructed, it will help you in multiple facets of life. [/quote]

X2

If anything stick with what you are doing already, but add three to five hundred calories a day – it sounds like you’re natural so I’d up my carb intake first before considering fat/protein.

Youll hit your goal of calories alot easier with fast food added in every now and then…

[quote]optheta wrote:
Youll hit your goal of calories alot easier with fast food added in every now and then…[/quote]

A burger never hurt anyone. And if you’re looking to bulk up, adding a couple of loaded PB+J’s a day does wonders.

One new thing I’m currently doing is adding 2 servings of coconut milk + 1 serving of whole milk to each of my protein shakes. Tastes great, and adds an extra few hundred calories per day.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
After a month or so of training at University, despite ‘looking bigger’ in the mirror and actually increasing my strength levels (10kg+ on box squat, other areas showing signs of improvement), my weight has actually dropped from 168ish to around 163 or so with the following changes/improvements in my diet:

-Using low GI carbs, besides around workout times
-Increasing fish oil intake
-Increasing veg and fruit intake
-Making sure to hit an absolute minumum of 3000 or so cals almost totally clean

Clearly eating so cleanly consistantly is great for fat loss, but that really isn’t my goal. So my question is what are some simple tricks people find to bump calories cleanly? Cheers.

Off the top of my head:
Spoonfuls of PB
Spoonfuls of Olive Oil
Adding oats to protein shakes[/quote]

You mention your carbs and healthy fats but you say nothing about your protein intake. Perhaps this is why you are having trouble making gains?

@Brant: Some good suggestions for sure, no.1 the making of a mix definitely sounds like something that would give a good level of success, put enough dried fruit & nuts in there and even if i only manage a 500+ mix a day that would solve my problems, or be much closer at least… nuts are quite expensive but snack wise this surely tops the solutions. no.2 As for the power eating, i’ll suggest weekly all-you-can-eats to my flatmates, see if anyones up for it, could happen.

No. 3, is that advice given based on if you only eat beef as your source of meat? Pretty vague but im thinking i probably only get between 1.3-1.75lbs of total meat per day… depending on if 3 or 4 of my meals contain it, quantities over that start to get pretty expensive weekly. no.4 made me lol, will try when on my own in the flat, no.6 might give this a go as an experiment sometime soon. no.7, do you just mean add cheese, to lots of things?

@WestCoast: This is what i’m thiking (and hoping) because i know i made progress over the past month, but having lost a little weight I could have started to get off track.

@ Chi-Towns-Finest: I definitely want to go ahead and add the extra calories as you have suggested. By adding carbs do you mean adding, for example, more oats and quinoa through the first half of the day, just to tide over the overall calories? Just out of interest, is your reasoning behind worrying about carbs the most based on the fact my diet is probably alright, just lacking calories and that i can probably tolerate more carbs then im eating, therefore it is the easiest way to add the calories, rather then extra meat/fish/oils?

optheta: Fast food isn’t really affordable as a student, sounds bizzare, but Ã?£1 worth of meat is 200grams of lean beef or a pretty small mcdonalds (single) cheeseburger… thats my main reasoning, beyond anything else.

utHAUS: Don’t get me wrong, if i get invited to a bbq i’ll not hold back on the burgers, even if i do bring my own wholemeal buns… peanut butter&toast is definitely a yes for my earlier meals too, if im in, they are something very easy to eat aswell as being amazing.

Kardon: I can’t drink milk but i did buy some coconut milk, which im going to try out with a protein shake i guess, maybe i’ll handle it fine. Protein wise everything I eat (bar fruit and veg) tends to be protein rich, I’d say i comfortably exceed 200g most days, doubt that is the thing holding me back over the calorie count, especially based on my strength levels staying consistant/improving.

dude this is what you do. by yourself some cans of coconut milk. they have about 750 cal each. add them to shakes or drink them straight up. They taste great as a thickener in a shake or just fine by itself. It is pure MCT’s so it will be used well by your body and coconut does wonders for most ppl. complexion, joints, digestion, etc.

Good list already, other options

1. Add cream to shakes
  2. BCAA/EAA shake between meals

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
dude this is what you do. by yourself some cans of coconut milk. they have about 750 cal each. add them to shakes or drink them straight up. They taste great as a thickener in a shake or just fine by itself. It is pure MCT’s so it will be used well by your body and coconut does wonders for most ppl. complexion, joints, digestion, etc.[/quote]

Though i figured coconut oil to be healthy, as its made up of mostly saturates, wont consuming loads of this make for needing even more mono&poly fats?

It shouldn’t.

This should give you some info. I take tons of coconut product in.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
@ Chi-Towns-Finest: I definitely want to go ahead and add the extra calories as you have suggested. By adding carbs do you mean adding, for example, more oats and quinoa through the first half of the day, just to tide over the overall calories? Just out of interest, is your reasoning behind worrying about carbs the most based on the fact my diet is probably alright, just lacking calories and that i can probably tolerate more carbs then im eating, therefore it is the easiest way to add the calories, rather then extra meat/fish/oils?
[/quote]

It’s not JUST the calories, it’s the macronutrient balance that’s important.

You need more protein in the form of meat, fish, chicken, eggs to balance your total caloric intake.

PB, nuts and seeds and cheese are all calorie dense and great for bulking. I know they’re expensive, but is there a market near you where you can buy these foods in bulk for a lesser price?

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
It shouldn’t.

This should give you some info. I take tons of coconut product in.[/quote]

Well i’m convinced, lots of coconut oil on my next shop then :slight_smile:

& yo mamma: I try and eat 4 of my meals a day at 200g of meat/egg equivelent each, so thats 1.4 grams per day roughly. Surely keeping consistant with this it should be enough? (assuming i get the rest of the cals elsewhere.) My main ‘affordables’ are eggs, lean minced beef and turkey sausage (80% turkey). These foods seem “lean/good enough” sources, and steak/chicken/turkey breast are all considerably more expensive weight/kg wise, may consider a few steaks a week or something though, its doable.

Nut mix I have and will buy more at my next shop (soon). Market I will have to look into, might be able to save abit on certain things, though ASDA tends to be about as cheap as the english food prices get i think! Might be wrong on nuts though, yet to find out.

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
honest_lifter wrote:
It shouldn’t.

This should give you some info. I take tons of coconut product in.

Well i’m convinced, lots of coconut oil on my next shop then :slight_smile:

& yo mamma: I try and eat 4 of my meals a day at 200g of meat/egg equivelent each, so thats 1.4 grams per day roughly. Surely keeping consistant with this it should be enough? (assuming i get the rest of the cals elsewhere.) My main ‘affordables’ are eggs, lean minced beef and turkey sausage (80% turkey). These foods seem “lean/good enough” sources, and steak/chicken/turkey breast are all considerably more expensive weight/kg wise, may consider a few steaks a week or something though, its doable.

Nut mix I have and will buy more at my next shop (soon). Market I will have to look into, might be able to save abit on certain things, though ASDA tends to be about as cheap as the english food prices get i think! Might be wrong on nuts though, yet to find out.[/quote]

Coconut OIL is good for cooking, but Coconut MILK is what you want for shakes and things. The oil would just chunk up (it is saturated fat after all) and the milk doesn’t do that at all. just an FYI

Cover your Pizza in olive oil, Dave Tate style. Seriously, I’ve been doing this lately and I’m not gaining fat but my weight is finally going up again. Fucking love it.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
Cover your Pizza in olive oil, Dave Tate style. Seriously, I’ve been doing this lately and I’m not gaining fat but my weight is finally going up again. Fucking love it.[/quote]

Do you practically go into a coma after consumption?

OP, id really like to see how your progress goes, im also a college student, cant have milk, and am around your height and weight (162 lbs 5’11) I’ve been eating at my schools cafeteria 3 times a day plus inhaling PBJs like crazy and i’ve been making significant strength increases (370lb deadlift last week and 5 reps of 315 for parallel box squats this week)
However, my weight hasn’t really increased since school started it just fluctuates around 162-168

You do have access to the cafeteria right? If you do, steal whatever you can. You’re paying for the meal plan after all :stuck_out_tongue: