Caloric Maintenance

Hey guys. I’ll be going off on vacation soon for about a month and I was planning on following the Anabolic Diet using a maintenance caloric intake (which I plan to figure out between now and the end of June).

Now, as far as I know, you cannot gain mass, muscle and/or fat, on a caloric deficit. Conversely, you cannot lose mass, muscle and/or fat, on a caloric surplus. My question is the following -

If I follow a maintenance caloric intake while I go on vacation (which is going to last about a month), can I avoid gaining fat/losing muscle?

I truely hope you added “muscle” in by mistake. If not, you need serious help.

[quote]dyeguy1212 wrote:
Velz wrote: Conversely, you cannot lose mass, muscle and/or fat, on a caloric surplus.

[/quote]

I do need help, which is why I posted here on these boards. So…would you mind delving into the issue a little bit further and enlightening me? Thanks.

You can lose muscle on a caloric surplus depending on the source of those calories. It would be pretty difficult to lose it quickly though, especially if you were still hitting the weights hard.

If you are in a position where you can take a month “off” from life- who cares if you lose a little bit of muscle or gain a tad of fat? Just keep hitting the weights hard, even on vacation, and you’ll be fine.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
You can lose muscle on a caloric surplus depending on the source of those calories. It would be pretty difficult to lose it quickly though, especially if you were still hitting the weights hard.

If you are in a position where you can take a month “off” from life- who cares if you lose a little bit of muscle or gain a tad of fat? Just keep hitting the weights hard, even on vacation, and you’ll be fine.[/quote]

Well, as I mentioned, I’d be getting my 2500 calories through the Anabolic Diet…So…would I lose muscle getting my calories from this diet?

Also, I care because I’ve spent the last year of my life working so hard to get to where I am now, I’m just slightly paranoid about being set back, and although I don’t expect to make any gains, I certainly don’t want to lose anything if possible.

And as far as hitting the weights hard goes, I’m not sure I’ll be able to maintain a structured regimen while I’ll be on vacation. I can structure my cardio and still maintain that, however, as far as structuring my weight lifting sessions goes, they’ll most likely be sporadic and not something I can really plan ahead of time.

[quote]Velz wrote:
Well, as I mentioned, I’d be getting my 2500 calories through the Anabolic Diet…So…would I lose muscle getting my calories from this diet?

Also, I care because I’ve spent the last year of my life working so hard to get to where I am now, I’m just slightly paranoid about being set back, and although I don’t expect to make any gains, I certainly don’t want to lose anything if possible.

And as far as hitting the weights hard goes, I’m not sure I’ll be able to maintain a structured regimen while I’ll be on vacation. I can structure my cardio and still maintain that, however, as far as structuring my weight lifting sessions goes, they’ll most likely be sporadic and not something I can really plan ahead of time.[/quote]

I can sympathize with you, really. But think about this- how much muscle can you gain in one month? Maybe a pound? Now how much do you think you can lose when you’re not starving yourself?

Understand?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Velz wrote:

And as far as hitting the weights hard goes, I’m not sure I’ll be able to maintain a structured regimen while I’ll be on vacation. I can structure my cardio and still maintain that, however, as far as structuring my weight lifting sessions goes, they’ll most likely be sporadic and not something I can really plan ahead of time.

I can sympathize with you, really. But think about this- how much muscle can you gain in one month? Maybe a pound? Now how much do you think you can lose when you’re not starving yourself?

Understand?[/quote]

Haha. Yeah I understand. What about the fat part though? That’s really my main concern because I’m a FFB. Theoretically speaking, I can’t gain weight unless I intake a caloric surplus. If I follow my diet and continue doing cardio a few times a week, I should more or less be alright…right? Lol.

Again, pardon my obstinate paranoia. I’ve come so far, that I’m not going back without a fight LOL. And although I may not be able to do much other than pushups and jump rope, I can still control what I eat.

[quote]Velz wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
Velz wrote:

Understand?

Haha. Yeah I understand. What about the fat part though? That’s really my main concern because I’m a FFB. Theoretically speaking, I can’t gain weight unless I intake a caloric surplus. If I follow my diet and continue doing cardio a few times a week, I should more or less be alright…right? Lol.

Again, pardon my obstinate paranoia. I’ve come so far, that I’m not going back without a fight LOL. And although I may not be able to do much other than pushups and jump rope, I can still control what I eat.[/quote]

I think you’re right on. Don’t have to big of a surplus, eat quality food, and maintain a slight amount of cardio and you’ll come home about the same as when you left. The key is to enjoy yourself. Hell it’s a vacation!

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
<<< The key is to enjoy yourself. Hell it’s a vacation![/quote]

Yes, because you are stressing yourself way beyond what this deserves. If you went on a concentrated campaign to screw yourself up as much as possible for one month you’d just be getting serious results in time to come home. BTW, if you haven’t been on the AD already, you may want to reconsider jumping in for vacation.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
<<< The key is to enjoy yourself. Hell it’s a vacation!

Yes, because you are stressing yourself way beyond what this deserves. If you went on a concentrated campaign to screw yourself up as much as possible for one month you’d just be getting serious results in time to come home. BTW, if you haven’t been on the AD already, you may want to reconsider jumping in for vacation.[/quote]

Well, I’ll be starting it about 2 weeks prior to going on vacation, and I figure that should give me enough time to get adjusted to fat as my fuel source by the time I actually set off. The reason I want to get on the AD while I’m away is so that, not only I can get used to it, ease myself into it (I’m coming off a low calorie cutting diet), but I’d also like to take the time to figure out what my caloric maintenance is, so that when I come back, I can start bulking right away with my nutrition already in tact.

[quote]Velz wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Yes, because you are stressing yourself way beyond what this deserves. If you went on a concentrated campaign to screw yourself up as much as possible for one month you’d just be getting serious results in time to come home. BTW, if you haven’t been on the AD already, you may want to reconsider jumping in for vacation.

Well, I’ll be starting it about 2 weeks prior to going on vacation, and I figure that should give me enough time to get adjusted to fat as my fuel source by the time I actually set off. The reason I want to get on the AD while I’m away is so that, not only I can get used to it, ease myself into it (I’m coming off a low calorie cutting diet), but I’d also like to take the time to figure out what my caloric maintenance is, so that when I come back, I can start bulking right away with my nutrition already in tact.[/quote]

Where exactly are you going? Are you sure you’ll be able to find ample sources of protein, high quality fat, and veggies you like at this place? I know when I go on vacation I sometimes have no choice but to eat the local fare.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Velz wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

Well, I’ll be starting it about 2 weeks prior to going on vacation, and I figure that should give me enough time to get adjusted to fat as my fuel source by the time I actually set off. The reason I want to get on the AD while I’m away is so that, not only I can get used to it, ease myself into it (I’m coming off a low calorie cutting diet), but I’d also like to take the time to figure out what my caloric maintenance is, so that when I come back, I can start bulking right away with my nutrition already in tact.

Where exactly are you going? Are you sure you’ll be able to find ample sources of protein, high quality fat, and veggies you like at this place? I know when I go on vacation I sometimes have no choice but to eat the local fare.[/quote]

Yeah I know. I’m not going on a vacation per say, just going to go visit my family (who I’ll be staying with) and friends up in NY for a while. So, I’ll still have access to a refrigerator, and an oven, and all that good stuff I need to maintain a diet as best I can. I’m sure I’ll break it occasionally during family/friend outings, but I’ll try to stick with it whenever I can.

[quote]Velz wrote:
dyeguy1212 wrote:
Velz wrote: Conversely, you cannot lose mass, muscle and/or fat, on a caloric surplus.

I do need help, which is why I posted here on these boards. So…would you mind delving into the issue a little bit further and enlightening me? Thanks.[/quote]

you earned it.

good year.