T Nation

Caloric Deficiet vs Getting Enough Protien

Ive gotten back to lifting and have been at it for 9 months. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 for the second time and my lifts have improved significantly. Ive got good muscle mass from doing strong lifts, problem though is I still have body fat I want to get rid of. I'm following 8 simple nutrition rules on stronglifts website which recommends 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

However since I want loose fat I need to be on a caloric deficit. I won't be able to get enough protein on a caloric deficit. BTW I'm 175lbs 5'11" around 14-15% BF. From that I got that I should be getting 1500-2060 cals/day for fat loss.should I just worry about calories until I loose the fat. Will I risk losing muscle?

What do you mean you won't be able to get enough protein in a defecit? Even if you're consuming 1500 Calories/day that's up to 375g of protein you could be getting.

1- I can't see how you're calculating your macro breakdown that you think you can't get "enough" protein while still losing fat.

2- My wife was eating more than 1500 cals a day (~1700 I believe off hand) for her last contest prep and she weighs 105 lbs. I think you should reassess your plan.

S

Echoing the aiming too low. Maybe you can do that for a week.

I tried to do some fasting on the weekends and also lowered my calories to 1900-2000 calories a day (I'm a little bit lighter/leaner than you) while training HARD and in the end it fucked up my metabolism/hormones and caused some mega cheat meals. I'm still trying to get my body back to feeling awesome and slowly bumping up the calories.

Aim for something moderate and adjust from there.