Calluses Aren't Manly

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

Once and for all:
Calluses decrease performance in the farmer’s walk or high-rep pulling exercises./Discussion[/quote]

whaaa?? they do?

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:

Once and for all:
Calluses decrease performance in the farmer’s walk or high-rep pulling exercises./Discussion[/quote]

whaaa?? they do? [/quote]

Yep. It’s hard to describe without showing the motions but I’ll try. For once, it’s just like wearing those douchey-gym gloves. For an optimal grip, you want as little “stuff” between the bar and yourself.
Secondly, when you’re doing high-reps or walking with the farmer’s handles, when the grips are pressing against your calluses a) it hurts like a bitch [inbe4 neck-beard LMAO pussy NOGAINSno PAINZ!!!111] b) eventually when the handle slips over your calluses, you will lose your grip, meaning less reps/distance for you.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
^ this is what I mean. my gf’s father has been a roofer for over thirty years, the guy’s hands are like bear claws covered in sandpaper. great guy, father and husband. but I guess calluses don’t fit too well with the metrosexual stereotype? hence my friend’s comment.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
So basically, you wanted to say that you have calluses and are manly.[/quote]

hah no wtf, then the thread would’ve gone like:

“Calluses Are Manly”

“… I have them and I don’t care what you think.”

[/quote]

lol yeah ok. You definitely didn’t make the majority of the first post about how your hands are thick, bumpy, and feel like sandpaper. Or that your girlfriend likes it. Or that you don’t lift with gloves. Or that you thought it was pretty manly. With a little comment about how they don’t come from curling in the squat rack, which wouldn’t be hardcore which you totally are.

I curl in the squat rack. Curls give me calluses. What!?!

What about hairy palms? Is that manly?

My wife thinks my rough hands are sexy. But I agree that if your callouses get too large that they get painful. So whenever I sharpen one of my knives I trim the callouses with it.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Older men, especially those that were in the service, will judge a man by his hands and the calluses on it.

I was told this years back, and have since experienced and seen it to be very true. Callused hands are a sign that you are probably working hard and unafraid to get your hands dirty.

No gloves for me.[/quote]

^^all of this is true… also, workout gloves are just so stupid looking. They should be worn by girls who want to keep their hands soft and thats about it.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Older men, especially those that were in the service, will judge a man by his hands and the calluses on it.

I was told this years back, and have since experienced and seen it to be very true. Callused hands are a sign that you are probably working hard and unafraid to get your hands dirty.

^^all of this is true… also, workout gloves are just so stupid looking. They should be worn by girls who want to keep their hands soft and thats about it.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind next time I put my workout gloves on.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

^^all of this is true… also, workout gloves are just so stupid looking. They should be worn by girls who want to keep their hands soft and thats about it.[/quote]

Thanks, I’ll keep this in mind next time I put my workout gloves on.[/quote]

I prefer welding gloves myself.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I prefer welding gloves myself.[/quote]

Haha, welding gloves at the gym would be hilarious.

I don’t know about you guys but I’d rather impress women with my hands than old, blue collar service dudes.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I don’t know about you guys but I’d rather impress women with my hands than old, blue collar service dudes.
[/quote]

I actually do wear them to flip my tire in the drive way.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I just had the worst experience with these last week. I went into a fabrication shop to interview/weld test.

Turns out that the test was overhead, using a very hot process at high speed, which I had never done. The spatter burned through the stitching in my gloves, suede, and jacket, so now I have these uber-manly 3rd. degree burns on my hands and arm.

Got the job though!

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I just had the worst experience with these last week. I went into a fabrication shop to interview/weld test.

Turns out that the test was overhead, using a very hot process at high speed, which I had never done. The spatter burned through the stitching in my gloves, suede, and jacket, so now I have these uber-manly 3rd. degree burns on my hands and arm.

Got the job though!
[/quote]

So did they cover that on Workers Comp?

3rd degree burns are no joke.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

I actually do wear them to flip my tire in the drive way.[/quote]

OK, more importantly-- is that a 72 GMC step side in the background? Looks like that 68-72 GMC/Chev generation from the back.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

3rd degree burns are no joke.[/quote]

No, I’m just gonna have to suck that one up and chalk it up to experience. They’re all small, like eight inch dia. where the molten metal made it thrugh the protective gear.

I just cleaned out the crusty stuff with a brush and keep them clean and dressed. They’re healing up nicely.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[/quote]

I actually do wear them to flip my tire in the drive way.[/quote]

OK, more importantly-- is that a 72 GMC step side in the background? Looks like that 68-72 GMC/Chev generation from the back.[/quote]

Hahahahahaahahaha the kid who picked this up for me took this picture at the house he picked it up at, not my kid or truck. :slight_smile:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

Got the job though!
[/quote]

Haha, I once had a summer job through a buddy’s dad’s company doing weld overlay/thermal spray cladding. We used handhelds guns though, not those fancy machines that attach to a wall you can just watch/re-fill with wire.

Anyways, this shit burned hot. It had to be hot enough to spray on an air stream and still melt to the substrate on contact. Sometimes the wire would fuck up splatter everywhere. It burned through clothes, coveralls, melted tyvek suits… fortunately I never had a piece lodge itself in a glove and smolder though, just quick, uncomfortable hot spots. I saw some scars on others however. Pretty nasty.

But sandblasting was the worst. I miss the co-workers and traveling around for a few months with a group of contractors but that shit was terrible.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

3rd degree burns are no joke.[/quote]

No, I’m just gonna have to suck that one up and chalk it up to experience. They’re all small, like eight inch dia. where the molten metal made it thrugh the protective gear.

I just cleaned out the crusty stuff with a brush and keep them clean and dressed. They’re healing up nicely.
[/quote]

Okay. I could send you a story about a guy who was burned with a piece of slag on the top of his foot, 3rd degree ended up with nerve damage and long term effects.
Keep an eye on them Sky.

For my calluses, I just keep a green scotch-brite pad under the sink in the bathroom. I don’t mind the calluses themselves, but if they’re feeling rough, I’ll scrub them smooth. And use lotion when they’re dry.

Hard, strong hands are manly. Rough, dry, scaly hands mean you don’t take care of yourself.