T Nation

Calling All Swordsman

Aside from my MMA record, I never competed in Kendo. I have been practicing for four years, hardly time to jump into a tournament, but I have been weilding blades for as long as I can remember. I competed in several Pennsic tournaments, though a great workout, not nearly as brutal anymore. I practiced with the SCA, Kingdom of the East, and became particularly good at Medieval, dual-wield blade combat. I have a collection of exotic blades (as featured above) from Angelsword, Buhko-Taigun, Ramier, Avalon/Percival, and Avatar. ( www.angelsword.com )

The one above is an Angelsword I bought at the New York Renaissance Faire (Tuxedo) where I used to work. Its a fantastic blade, paid a lot of money and its in my will to go to my nephew ( i have no kids, im 20 ) should I die before I do have kids.

Ive practiced blade combat longer then I practiced MMA, and I never officially won anything for my skills. Aside from my guilt trip, are they any T-Nationers out there who play/practice/compete with swords? Id like to get some new ideas to what sword I want next too, so If you have one (or like me, many) post em, show those beauties off.

Bump.

Im drinking entirely too much in the postings, please bare with me.

One more thing… Pennsic and the SCA have gone downhill and in retrospect seem kinda gay. The whole thing just got pussified and Im glad I left when I did. Many moons ago…

Another beauty. I call her Soulshriek. I was high and playing D&D at the time.

Keep em coming, I’m no swordsman but i like the subject matter

I really don’t have any skill at all, but I certainly enjoy swords. There’s something elegant and artistic about blade combat that guns (while more effective weapons) cannot compare to. Knights and samurai have always captured imaginations, and I think the sword is partially why.

Kind of OT, but several years ago I ran across a website detailing some measurements and descriptions of 16th century Landsknecht swords. One of them was 76" long, I believe. WHat kind of behemoth was weilding a 6’4" sword? I’d hate to run into that guy on the battlefield.

My next purchase.

Red Thunder, as its called.

Blade Width - Hilt: 1 1/4 inches
Blade Width at Tip: 1/2 inches
Blade Thickness: 1/8 inch
Handle: Marble
Guard: Carved brass
Pommel: Carved brass
Weight: 4 pounds, 7 ounces
POB: 3 inches
LOA: 46 1/4 inches
LOB: 34 3/8 inches
Steel: “Living steel”
Finish: Polished red

One more wet dream…
Blade Width - Hilt: 1 1/4 inches
Blade Width at Tip: 3/4 inch
Blade Thickness: 3/16 inches
Handle: Green marble
Guard: Carved aluminum
Pommel: Carved aluminum
Weight: 2 pounds, 11 ounces
POB: 4 inches
LOA: 34 1/4 inches
LOB: 23 1/4 inches
Steel: “Living Steel”
Finish: High polish with engraving

I think Red Thunder is georgeous… defidently more pics are necessary.

!

Itd like, looking into a minature galaxy…

Simple, but so effective.

These blades are built for combat.

Awesome Swords. Other than some time spent practicing with my Bokken in Aikido class many years ago, I trained little with the sword, but I have studied elements of swordsmanship to gain a greater appreciation of warriorhood. Not practical much anymore, but I greatly appreciate the art and historical implications of studying the sword.

What did you do at the NY Ren Faire? I go every year and it is a great time. Highly recommended if you’re not too far away.

[quote]ToShinDo wrote:
I really don’t have any skill at all, but I certainly enjoy swords. There’s something elegant and artistic about blade combat that guns (while more effective weapons) cannot compare to. Knights and samurai have always captured imaginations, and I think the sword is partially why.

Kind of OT, but several years ago I ran across a website detailing some measurements and descriptions of 16th century Landsknecht swords. One of them was 76" long, I believe. WHat kind of behemoth was weilding a 6’4" sword? I’d hate to run into that guy on the battlefield.[/quote]

Yea about that… Though effective in battle, it was the answer to the Pikeman who on the front line of battle would impale the horses who would otherwise stampede through the lines and cause havoc. The two handed sword chopped the pikes in half and could be used on horseback to plow the road.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Awesome Swords. Other than some time spent practicing with my Bokken in Aikido class many years ago, I trained little with the sword, but I have studied elements of swordsmanship to gain a greater appreciation of warriorhood. Not practical much anymore, but I greatly appreciate the art and historical implications of studying the sword.

What did you do at the NY Ren Faire? I go every year and it is a great time. Highly recommended if you’re not too far away.[/quote]

“PPPPPIIIIIICCCCCCCKKKKKKLLLLEEEESSSS”

My first Book. Its awesome, great book supplement to my training.

To effectivly answer your question, I sold Pickles.

You must have seen me before, I would stand on my pickle cart and arouse women.

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:
Yea about that… Though effective in battle, it was the answer to the Pikeman who on the front line of battle would impale the horses who would otherwise stampede through the lines and cause havoc. The two handed sword chopped the pikes in half and could be used on horseback to plow the road.

[/quote]

Yeah, pretty frickin’ scary when you’re standing there with your buddies, thinking that with those pikes, no horse can pass. Then you find out you’re horribly wrong after your pike is kindling!

Had and sold.

Weight: 3 pounds, 1 ounces
POB: 2 inches
LOA: 36 1/4 inches
LOB: 26 inches
Steel: S7 shock steel, RC 57
Finish: Polished
Blade Width - Hilt: 1 3/8 inches
Blade Width at Tip: 1/2 inches
Blade Thickness: 1/8 inches
Handle: Silk wrapped
Guard: Black carved steel
Pommel: Black carved steel

[quote]ToShinDo wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:

Yeah, pretty frickin’ scary when you’re standing there with your buddies, thinking that with those pikes, no horse can pass. Then you find out you’re horribly wrong after your pike is kindling![/quote]

Hell yea, it was brutal. Whats even worse is that the 2nd line of defence used Hurlbats (Agincourt, LePonce, Groschmett, Argross). Those are basically disposable Throwing axes and they lauched those like they were dirty diapers. At 60 mph they would travel a good 50 yards and pierce full plate armor like a flying can-opener. Horseback 2nd worse enemy.

My first Bumon.

Weight: 2 pounds, 3 ounce
POB: 3 3/4 inches
LOA: 38 3/4 inches
LOB: 25 inches
Steel: S7 shock steel, RC 57
Finish: Polished
Blade Width - Hilt: 1 1/8 inches
Blade Width at Tip: 5/8 inches
Blade Thickness: 3/16 inches
Handle: Pinned cocobolo with wrap and dragon menuki
Guard: Brass with patina