Calling All Scandinavians

[quote]TD54 wrote:
Srsly what’s the difference betweeen Sweden Denmark and Norway? How closely related are the 3?[/quote]

We’re pretty close. Both language-wise and culturally. Would my scandinavian brethren agree? (People from norway need not respond)

Norway is a a danish region and we just allow them to think they’re independent.

We’re going to owe a shit load of back taxes after this oil business, amirite Billy? :slight_smile:

lol i imagine you guys to be somewhat similar

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
We’re going to owe a shit load of back taxes after this oil business, amirite Billy? :)[/quote]

We’re so happy you’re keeping all that cash stashed in that fund so it’s nice and ready for us when we come along.

Yes, I’m a Finn. This is how I see and have experienced things. Finland and Sweden have love-hate relationship just as Norway and Sweden have. That’s probably why Norwegians and Finns understand each other quite well, we kind of have common “enemy” so to speak. I’ve been in a weekend long meeting where this was easily spotted.

About history, Finns fought great many battles for the Swedish kingdom back then before losing to Russia 1809. After 100 years of supression by Russian we finally got the independence. And since then we have been the shield for the Sweden. They even had saying during the WWII, it went something like this: Their cause is our cause. And many Swedish people came as volunteers to the Finnish front.

This is from wikipedia (search word “Finnish origin”):
According to recent autosomal (genomewide, 10,000 markers instead of few looked at Y-DNA and MtDNA-studies) give distinct picture of Finnish genes. Finns are a genetic isolate. It could be said that all other Europeans have Finnish genes but Finns don’t have all the genes found in other Europeans. Finns show very little if any Mediterranean and African genes but on the other hand almost 10% of Finnish genes seem to be shared with some Siberian populations. Nevertheless more than 80% of Finnish genes are from a single ancient North-European population, while most Europeans are a mixture of 3 or more principal components.[44]

After all this babbling above, I think we have great relationships “up here”. Mixed brotherhood of vikingblood, badass mentality, strong will (sisu), strong men and women.

I’m Icelandic.

I like the Danes. They are pretty fun as a people IME. The Norwegians not so much. Too dour and I don’t think they deserve all that money, they aren’t using it properly. They are a lot easier to understand though. I’m also part Norwegian. Finns are awesome and Swedes will be too once they get rid of their welfare system.

I however do not identify very strongly with the other Nordic countries, despite being able to understand the languages(excluding Finnish lol).

Maybe we should look to Iceland for financial advice. lol

From Norway. Have good things to say about people from all those countries.

Haven’t been to Sweden, would definately like to go shopping for cheap(er) meat, hunting boar or fishing. Finland seems like a good place to go fishing as well, especially pike. Supposedly finnish women scream the least during childbirth - so props there. Been to Denmark a few times, OK place, much more liberal than Norway in most ways. They make speakin a bit hard on themselves though.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
Maybe we should look to Iceland for financial advice. lol[/quote]

LOL, that’s a good one.

And oh, forgot about Iceland. Embarassing that Norway didn’t bail them out when they went bankrupt. Back in the days of Harald Hardraade they sent ships loaded with grain to Iceland during the winter.

How about getting to the REAL issue here. When are you going to start dominating strongman again?

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

You could look at what we did wrong, which was mostly government interference in the market with all of the associated moral hazards+hugely bloated welfare system.

I’m half swedish (fathers side). Not lived in Sweden since i was 15 and when i did live there i didnt enjoy it much. Lived in Malmo which is considered the worst place to live in the country which may explain it. I did spend a lot of time in Copenhagen though which i loved. Much more liberal and people were a lot more friendly.

Cant say i’ve met any Norwegians or Icelanders so cant really comment and only ever met on Finn who was a nice guy. Have to agree with Amonero though about the Danes, they do make talking tough on themselves…lol, sounds like they’ve got something really hot in their mouth.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
That’s right, we are passing laws that tells you what you can do OUTSIDE Norway. Prostitution legal in Holland? No problem, we’ll make a law that says you can get prosecuted here when you get back. Smoked weed? Same thing… gah now I’m just rambling.
[/quote]

Ermm how the hell can they possibly implement such a policy? I mean if you’re banging a prossy legally, how’re they going to know when you get back? I’m assuming they have a plan?

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Problem?

Jk, I have no idea what all blood is in me, I just know I am white. So who knows. Go Scandinavia. [/quote]

that photo is class! but sooo true…

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

You could look at what we did wrong, which was mostly government interference in the market with all of the associated moral hazards+hugely bloated welfare system. [/quote]

We have a bloated welfare system too. I must confess I don’t know the ins and outs tho, I’m just here to be sarcastic and unhelpful :slight_smile:

Freegan fragun gloogen gashgan

That’s what all of you sound like.

[quote]Stern wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
That’s right, we are passing laws that tells you what you can do OUTSIDE Norway. Prostitution legal in Holland? No problem, we’ll make a law that says you can get prosecuted here when you get back. Smoked weed? Same thing… gah now I’m just rambling.
[/quote]

Ermm how the hell can they possibly implement such a policy? I mean if you’re banging a prossy legally, how’re they going to know when you get back? I’m assuming they have a plan?
[/quote]

Yeah that’s what I was thinking too, but that they have the gall to pass laws on what I can do outside our borders leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Even with no way of enforcing it.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

[quote]Gaius Octavius wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

You could look at what we did wrong, which was mostly government interference in the market with all of the associated moral hazards+hugely bloated welfare system. [/quote]

We have a bloated welfare system too. I must confess I don’t know the ins and outs tho, I’m just here to be sarcastic and unhelpful :)[/quote]

Which was what I was getting at. You could be using that money for something actually productive instead of wasting it on bureaucracy and “welfare”.

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:

[quote]Stern wrote:

[quote]Quick Ben wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah that’s what I was thinking too, but that they have the gall to pass laws on what I can do outside our borders leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Even with no way of enforcing it.[/quote]#

that is one of the most ridiculous pieces of legislation i’ve ever heard! I’m sure Sweden will be quick to follow. This is exactly why i prefered spending my time in Denmark, much more liberal and reasonable. And i can completely understand why that would leave a bad taste, its principle. The audacity is incredible. I’m not even Norwegian or living in Norway but it bothers me…