T Nation

Calling all Ronald Reagan Fans!

If you are a fan (like me) of President Ronald Wilson Reagan – the greatest president of the 20th Century, please post the reasons that you appreciate him.

Here are mine:

(1) President Reagan had a vision for America and he stuck to that vision.

(2) President Reagan had guts and true grit. In the face of opposition he stuck to his guns.

(3) President Reagan won the Cold War and caused the Soviet Union to collapse.

(4) President Reagan put into motion an economic plan that crushed Jimmy Carter’s “misery index economy” (remember that phrase?) and fostered an economic boom that has carried even into today.

(5) President Reagan had integrity. If he made a mistake (e.g. Contras) he owned up to it and moved on, without cow-towing or changing his positions.

Oh, how we need a Reagan today!

Bush took the “title” of worst president in history away from Reagan.

[quote]Ken Kaniff wrote:
Bush took the “title” of worst president in history away from Reagan.[/quote]

Perhaps you didn’t READ the purpose of this thread, Ken? Do you lib Bush haters always have to open your “mouths?” Do you see me interjecting my disdain for your Lib Queen Hillary everywhere?

Now,as Irish would say…run along, intelligent people only here!

[quote]Ken Kaniff wrote:
Bush took the “title” of worst president in history away from Reagan.[/quote]

Agreed.

“intelligent people” and “Ronald Reagan Fan Club” are, of course, mutually exclusive. Another Stevie spank-o-rama thread.

I remember how inspirational President Reagan was when he gave his first inaugural address. He spoke of entrepreneurship and the capacity for everyone to be able to live the American dream.

I started saving for my first business after that speech.

He was a great President, but even a greater American.

Oh and Steve, as to the ignorant who disregard the title of the thread, just look at who is posting and be glad you’re not them.

:slight_smile:

Yeah Regan as cool but how did he win the cold war?

Didn’t Ronald Reagan illegally sell arms to America’s enemies, send the proceeds to a terrorist organization, and then lie about it twice to the American public?

“After the arms sales were revealed in November 1986, President Reagan appeared on national television and denied that they had occurred. But a week later, on November 13, he returned to the airwaves to affirm that weapons were indeed transferred to Iran. He denied that they were part of an exchange for hostages. Later, faced with undeniable evidence of his involvement in the scandal, Reagan expressed regret regarding the situation on national television on Wednesday, March 4, 1987. In his speech, Reagan stated that his previous assertions that the US did not trade arms for hostages were incorrect.”

[quote]steveo5801 wrote:

Now,as Irish would say…run along, intelligent people only here![/quote]

Really? Because I only see you posting.

[quote]semper_fi wrote:
Yeah Regan as cool but how did he win the cold war?[/quote]

He did one major things.

He centered defense around huge numbers of Nuclear weapons both ready for use and stockpiled. Also, other NATO countries like UK and France also did the same in accordance for their countries size. But RR was the main part of it, he spent on arms without hesitation.

In the end the USSR and its Warsaw Pact allies considered it increasingly difficult to consider a war against the West. Kind of like not wanting to fight someone with massive muscles.

[quote]semper_fi wrote:

(1) He didn’t appease the Soviet Union.

(2) He refused to sign agreements like previous presidents that only gave strength to the hand of the Soviets.

(3) He set out to win the arms race, and we did so economically. The Soviets just could not keep up and keep their economy afloat.

(4) He instilled hope in people of many nations that freedom is the norm and freedom is attainable.

Reagan was a true leader, way ahead of his time; a visionary who saw things the way they should be and went after the goals with a singleness of mind and spirit.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
Didn’t Ronald Reagan illegally sell arms to America’s enemies, send the proceeds to a terrorist organization, and then lie about it twice to the American public?

“After the arms sales were revealed in November 1986, President Reagan appeared on national television and denied that they had occurred. But a week later, on November 13, he returned to the airwaves to affirm that weapons were indeed transferred to Iran. He denied that they were part of an exchange for hostages. Later, faced with undeniable evidence of his involvement in the scandal, Reagan expressed regret regarding the situation on national television on Wednesday, March 4, 1987. In his speech, Reagan stated that his previous assertions that the US did not trade arms for hostages were incorrect.”[/quote]

Yes…a far cry from “I did not have sex with that woman,” or "what exactly do you mean by “is?” Remember ol’ Billy boy?

Reagan took responsiblity and put things right. He wasn’t afraid to own up to something and tell the American people either. Great leaders do that, you know…

[quote]steveo5801 wrote:
semper_fi wrote:
Yeah Regan as cool but how did he win the cold war?

(1) He didn’t appease the Soviet Union.

(2) He refused to sign agreements like previous presidents that only gave strength to the hand of the Soviets.

(3) He set out to win the arms race, and we did so economically. The Soviets just could not keep up and keep their economy afloat.

(4) He instilled hope in people of many nations that freedom is the norm and freedom is attainable.

Reagan was a true leader, way ahead of his time; a visionary who saw things the way they should be and went after the goals with a singleness of mind and spirit.[/quote]

I agree. I say we elect Reagan “GOD”. Immediately.

…Reagan created everything, you know. In less than seven days. He’s like the “Chuck Norris” of gods.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
…Reagan created everything, you know. In less than seven days. He’s like the “Chuck Norris” of gods. [/quote]

Chuck Norris eats sin for breakfast and craps redemption for lunch.

A rising tide does lift all boats
http://www.reaganlegacy.org/record/Cato/SUPPLY-SIDE%20TAX%20CUTS%20AND%20THE%20TRUTH%20ABOUT%20THE%20REAGAN%20ECONOMIC%20RECORD.htm

Quite simply; Reagan kicked ass.

Some more good reading.

http://www.reaganlegacy.org/record/Cato/SUPPLY-SIDE%20TAX%20CUTS%20AND%20THE%20TRUTH%20ABOUT%20THE%20REAGAN%20ECONOMIC%20RECORD.htm

Fable 5: Clinton’s Economic Record Has Outperformed Reagan’s

“Our economy is the soundest it’s been in a generation.” [38]

The growth rate under Clinton has been 2.7 percent, half a percent below the 3.2 percent growth rate under Reagan and a full percentage point below the 3.8 percent growth rate during the 1983-89 expansion.

Standard government forecasts predict a 2-2.5 percent growth rate through the end of the decade. Yet, if even the high end of that forecast proves to be accurate, the 1990s will be the lowest economic growth decade since the Great Depression and the second lowest in the 20th century.

Reagan Tax Cuts vs. Bush-Clinton Tax Hikes:
Overall Real Revenue Growth

After Reagan Tax Cuts
Year/Total Revenue*/Percentage Change

1982/ 738/
1983/ 684/ -7.3
1984/ 730/ 6.7
1985/ 777/ 6.4
1986/ 790/ 1.7
1987/ 854/ 8.1
1988/ 877/ 2.7
1989/ 916/ 4.4

After Bush-Clinton Tax Hikes
Year/Total Revenue*/Percentage Change

1990/ 914/
1991/ 895/ -2.1
1992/ 895 / 0.0
1993/ 922/ 3.7
1994/ 982/ 6.5
1995/ 1,034/ 5.3
1996/ 1,082/ 4.6**
1997/ 1,090/ 0.7**

Total 24.1 19.3

Source: Historical Tables, Budget of the United States Government, Fiscal Year 1997.

*Billions of 1987 dollars.
**Congressional Budget Office, August 1996 revenue forecast.

I’m not enough of a student of history to say that he was the best president of the 20th century (and I’m too young), but he was a great president.

Too bad Steveo’s hero is probably burning in hell right now…

Are you allowed to cherish souls burning in hell Steveo? I don’t know… you’d better go read your favorite book for a few months and figure it out.

Yes, this is a ploy…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
…Reagan created everything, you know. In less than seven days. He’s like the “Chuck Norris” of gods. [/quote]

Chuck Norris doesn’t walk on water. It just looks that way because mortal men piss themselves in his presence.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Too bad Steveo’s hero is probably burning in hell right now…[/quote]

Why exactly would Reagan be burning in hell?

I don’t follow.

[quote]semper_fi wrote:

By spending the USSR out of exisence.