Calling All RD's

For anyone who is an registered dietitian:

What kinds of jobs are available?
Is pay enough to supports a family on? What is the ballpark salary?

My brother wants to be a RD, he has done a little research and wants to specialize in either performance nutrition or diabetic research, do these require a masters or any type of specialzation degree?

thanks for any help

also any advice you wish someone had told you?

bump

[quote]alaw4516 wrote:
For anyone who is an registered dietitian:

What kinds of jobs are available?
Is pay enough to supports a family on? What is the ballpark salary?

My brother wants to be a RD, he has done a little research and wants to specialize in either performance nutrition or diabetic research, do these require a masters or any type of specialzation degree?

thanks for any help

also any advice you wish someone had told you?[/quote]

Getting an RD is like a baby Masters. It requires about an extra year of work after a Nutrition/Dietetics degree. If he wants to get into Performance Nutrition, he will need to be able to market himself very well. To do so he will need to be a good sales person and it would help to be a RD but not required. It would also help to have athletic accomplishments and a hell of a physique.

If he chooses to work with Diabetics he should be comfortable in a hospital setting. If he, as you put it, wants to get into diabetic research, he should get a PhD or at least a Masters. I’m sure the RD would get picked up along that route.