T Nation

Calling All MMA Fans

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/print/columns/story/10162545

Try not to punch a hole in your monitor when reading this rubbish. But, be sure to leave him some feedback.

As a sports journalist myself, I have to say reading this was very embarrasing.

Is this even worth caring about?

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

Try not to punch a hole in your monitor when reading this rubbish. But, be sure to leave him some feedback.

As a sports journalist myself, I have to say reading this was very embarrasing.[/quote]

I don’t know what was worse. His uneducated crack at the ufc, or his sad attempt to be funny in his bio page.

Send him your feedback… I did!

I left my feedback. That was one of the most ignorant sports articles I have ever read.

What an idiot He wrote- “No skill is required to knee someone in the groin (and it happens despite rules stating it is illegal). I’m kneeing Doyel in the groin now. See, was that difficult?”

What a lier. I hope he gets kneed in the nuts! Of all the fights I’ve seen in UFC and Pride I’ve never seen anyone hit someone in the balls on purpose (with the exception Kieth Hackney and Joe Son but that was years ago when the UFC didn’t have many rules).

With all respect to boxing, I’ll watch MMA any day over it. MMA is becoming more popular because it has so many more dimensions (kicks, ground game, punches, elbows)making it more interesting.

[quote]Hagar wrote:
What a lier. I hope he gets kneed in the nuts! Of all the fights I’ve seen in UFC and Pride I’ve never seen anyone hit someone in the balls on purpose (with the exception Kieth Hackney and Joe Son but that was years ago when the UFC didn’t have many rules).
[/quote]

That was some crazy shit. The funniest part was where he tried to act like a good sportsman by trying to hug Joe Son after the match only to get shoved the fuck away.

I seem to remember that Royce only beat Joe Son’s protege Kimo in the UFC before by grabbing his hair. The Messiah complex gang, entering with giant crosses on their backs, was definitely a weird aspect of early UFCs.

Not as strange as the fact that people still think of MMA as being what it was 14 years ago though.

what the hell does this guy know?? what an f’n idiot…

The columnist does have a point. Most UFC fans just want to see blood. In fact, that’s why people watch boxing, as well.

Submission grappling is much more interesting and complex than MMA. But submission grappling doesn’t have the fan following of boxing or MMA simply because it’s not as bloody.

Anyhow, the columnist, while being an ignorant fool, does have a point about why people watch UFC.

i just replied to him… simply said, “you’re a (censored) idiot.” what the hell does he know???

[quote]haney1 wrote:
I don’t know what was worse. His uneducated crack at the ufc, or his sad attempt to be funny in his bio page.
[/quote]

Yeah, both were pretty awful.

It’s funny that you posted this today. I was flipping channels and happened to catch about a minute of “Rome is Burning,” (I know, I’m sorry) and he had one of the Sklar brothers and some other guy I didn’t recognize debating this very issue. Rome asked if MMA was going to replace boxing eventually.

Both of the guests said something to the effect that boxing is a “sweet science” and MMA is more like a steel cage match in wrestling. The one guy said boxing is “more technical” than MMA" and that it doesn’t take as much skill to “knee someone in the stomach.”

While I have great respect for fighters of any kind, to say MMA is less technical than boxing is absurd. I’d say MMA is far more technical because one has to defend against many more different attacks, as well as submissions. Boxing, meanwhile, is merely one component of MMA.

To watch a well-rounded fighter such as Randy Couture ply his trade is a thing of beauty. Also, the varied fighting styles of MMA fighters gives more excitement to the sport. After getting into watching MMA back when UFC first started, I have trouble watching boxing matches now, despite once being a huge boxing fan.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

As a sports journalist myself, I have to say reading this was very embarrasing.[/quote]

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
The columnist does have a point. Most UFC fans just want to see blood. In fact, that’s why people watch boxing, as well.

Submission grappling is much more interesting and complex than MMA. But submission grappling doesn’t have the fan following of boxing or MMA simply because it’s not as bloody.

Anyhow, the columnist, while being an ignorant fool, does have a point about why people watch UFC.[/quote]

So I suppose you know ever single MMA fan on Earth to help you determine that Most fans want to see blood. Most MMA fans, like boxing fans, probably just want to see a good fight with some good action, exemplifying the skills that make them great fighters.

Your comments are just as ignorant as the writer of the article.

[quote]tribal32 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

Anyhow, the columnist, while being an ignorant fool, does have a point about why people watch UFC.

So I suppose you know ever single MMA fan on Earth to help you determine that Most fans want to see blood. Most MMA fans, like boxing fans, probably just want to see a good fight with some good action, exemplifying the skills that make them great fighters.

Your comments are just as ignorant as the writer of the article.[/quote]

I’d love to say you are right and CaliLaw doesn’t understand the knowledge of the fans, but go to any UFC event and tell me what you think. After Billy Bob in his Stone Cold 3:16 shirt spits beer all over your back booing a fighter for ending a fight by submission you’ll swear to never go to a live fight again.

Like I said elsewhere, it’s amazing how scared the entrenched boxing community has become. Their backs are against the wall, and they realize that this is possibly the last time boxing will have the spot light for a long time (especially if De La Hoya retires).

10 years ago MMA guys were calling boxers pussies, Tank was calling out Mike Tyson, etc etc. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and boxing is trying to create controversy in order to generate interest in a sport that has fallen on hard times.

If you are really upset, don’t visit their website. Everytime you click they get hits that generate more money from advertising.

Its best to ignore him.

MMA is thriving for a reason and boxing is struggling for a reason.

Much like the dinosaur, guys that think like him will all but disappear soon.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I’d love to say you are right and CaliLaw doesn’t understand the knowledge of the fans, but go to any UFC event and tell me what you think. After Billy Bob in his Stone Cold 3:16 shirt spits beer all over your back booing a fighter for ending a fight by submission you’ll swear to never go to a live fight again.[/quote]

LMAO. No doubt that tribal32 is one such fan.

[quote]Dre Cappa wrote:
It’s funny that you posted this today. I was flipping channels and happened to catch about a minute of “Rome is Burning,” (I know, I’m sorry) and he had one of the Sklar brothers and some other guy I didn’t recognize debating this very issue. Rome asked if MMA was going to replace boxing eventually.

Both of the guests said something to the effect that boxing is a “sweet science” and MMA is more like a steel cage match in wrestling. The one guy said boxing is “more technical” than MMA" and that it doesn’t take as much skill to “knee someone in the stomach.”

While I have great respect for fighters of any kind, to say MMA is less technical than boxing is absurd. I’d say MMA is far more technical because one has to defend against many more different attacks, as well as submissions. Boxing, meanwhile, is merely one component of MMA.

To watch a well-rounded fighter such as Randy Couture ply his trade is a thing of beauty. Also, the varied fighting styles of MMA fighters gives more excitement to the sport. After getting into watching MMA back when UFC first started, I have trouble watching boxing matches now, despite once being a huge boxing fan.

Djwlfpack wrote:

As a sports journalist myself, I have to say reading this was very embarrasing.

[/quote]

I have to disagree with UFC being more technical than boxing. When you have so many different fighting techniques open to use, you can afford to be sloppy in some areas and hope to beat them with others. Boxing has one technique, punching.

You have to master that one ability and perfect it. The fighters in the UFC do not perfect any one ability. They improve on many but never perfect one as they could if they focused on that one ability. Because of that, they can’t reach their full potential in jui jitsu or kickboxing.

Regardless, I agree that the article was ridiculous. He had no solid information that defended his outrageous claims about the unprofessionalism of MMA.

Ridiculous article.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:

We all know why this guy is against the UFC. Not too many brothers winning belts compared to boxing.

Boxing is just fucking boring. The only 2 weapons are your fists.

I can’t get over how many different belts there are in Boxing. Now with UFC owning Pride all the best fighters are under the one roof. Boxing has them scattered all over the shop.

When I was at school I did Tae Kwon Do and had friends that did Muay Thai, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing and so on. We always debated who would win a fight out of the different styles.

Basically, NHB, and I got the shit kicked out of me by the Muay Thai guy. At the time I was young and naive and thought that TKD was the shit. It only took about 3 minutes for me to realise my last 4 years and a black belt had been wasted.

At the time I told my instructor and he tried to argue that TKD was the best MA and I should stick with it. BTW: I signed up for MT the following week and have done ever since.

I think the problem is that people spend their lives dedicated to one MA and don’t want to face the reality that a proficient MMA fighter will towel them up when given the chance.

That is probably this guys problem.