T Nation

Calling All Hammerites

For those who are knowledgable on DB Hammer's system, I have a few questions.

1) strength-speed work is to be done at up to 20% above peak power output. From what I understand, peak power is always developed between 51% and 74% of AW max. I assume that the neuro-magnitude test outlined in TSB was designed to let an athlete know where he develops peak power.

How, then, can you train at percentages higher than your REA max?

2)ADA and FDA work is to be done with soft landings to ensure that the body is not forced to handle more than it can. It seems to me that soft landings would require lengthy braking phases.

Referencing the neuro-magnitude test once again, I believe you're only allowed a braking phase of about 2 inches for it to count as a good lift. How do I accomplish the goal of soft landings without lengthy braking phases or using baby weights?

3) Dur-1 work is the most difficult part of training AREG. I have a hard time maxing every time I train dur-1. Could I, perhaps, work with the same initial for two or three dur-1 workouts before trying for a new max? Any help would be appreciated.

Not to be a jerk, but I don't feel like reading post after post about how DB doesn't really have a facility in Germany, who has he coached, is he a real person, is he actually Jay Schroeder, his book is too difficult to understand, etc.

If you use his system with success, please help me out. If you don't use his system, please don't post.

1) I wouldn't worry too much about speed-strength vs. strength speed. Just focus on Duration, Magnitude and Rate. In general, the lower the percentage AW, it's more likely the work you are doing is speed-strength. The greater the percentage, the work is most likely strength-speed. It seems that you are thinking all strength-speed work is done in REA fashion. Str-sp exercises can be performed with regular reps, etc.

2) Soft landings do not require a longer braking phase. The soft landing occurs because you are not trying to absorb force you can't handle. If you try to do depth drops from a height you are not ready for, you will be able to "hear" that you are not ready. You can tell the difference easily. You may initially be using baby weights, but it depends on your body and what it is able to handle.

3) I will assume that you mean Duration work in the AN-1 bracket. You can experiment and do whatever you like. If you are just starting, I would suggest performing AREG the way it is described. After you gain some experience, then you can modify/adjust things to fit you better.

Thanks. That reply helped a lot. You're right, I forgot that mag work can be done with PIM.

Could any of you guys explain how to use the drop off method, as well as when you would use it.

It seems interesting and I would like to know a little bit more about it before I try experimenting with it.

drop off method is just a way of monitoring volume and matching fatigue with recovery...

ie just say you can lift 100kgs for 5 reps, and you train until you can do 94kgs for 5 reps you will have induced a 6% fatigue... then you can match fatiguue with recovery... so most people do well with 6% fatigue for 4 days recovery...

at its simplest its just a way of trying not to over or under train...

some say its a way of optimizing the nervous system but thats not really worth worrying about at the moment...

you can also use different drop offs for different goals... ie bodybuilders use more fatigue etc...

To add on to that (and I am by no means a Hammer expert, just a guy trying to learn the system and slowly implementing it), drop-off can either be done with the weight, or with volume. For instance, if you are doing 100kg for 5 reps, you would go until you can only do 94kg for 5 reps. Also, you can keep going with 100kg until you reach a volume drop off. This excerpt explains it better:

" The implementation of auto regulatory training may be adhered using drop-off margin (percent) integration. For the most typical window of training construction(1-20 reps per set), I have found a high correlation with corresponding percent values for three different brackets of work. 0-6 repetitions (note: 0 reps is needed for application) yield a drop-off margin strength of 3-5% per repetition, the 6-12 rep range holds a 2-3% value, and 12-20 reps each produce a 1-2% drop-off value. These numbers represent two important extrapolations: 1RM charts are obsolete and the work-frequency relationship is recognized in the application of the rule of thirds. Whether one wishes to regulate frequency off of work or manipulate work off of frequency it is easily manageable with these principles."

Drop-off training is just DB's way of optimizing fatigure management.

I do have another question for someone more knowledgable than me.

How does AREG and drop-off methods fit into the 2-factor theory of fatigure-fitness and compensation and the concept of over-reaching. It seems like the purpose of AREG is to completely recover after every workout. Shouldn't it be organized so that you have a progressive over-reaching that is followed by an unload week? Or am I missing something?

I don't think AREG fits the 2-factor theory. Go to Kelly Baggett's site (google it, I can't remember the address), he has an interesting article on single-factor versus 2-factor theory. I think the title of the article is "Planned overtraining".

Yeah, I've read that article. I found it wierd that DM Hammer wouldn't address the 2-factor theory.

the principles can be used for nearly anything...

train at higher fatigue for a while then lower fatigue for a while...

knowing the drop offs just lets you know with a higher degree of precision...

also you could use the same methods of monitoring it and monitor the initials of each session...

ie when youve go into a session and your best is x% lower than last time you have achieved the desired amount of overreaching...

so that you dont underreach or go into full fledged over training...

as with most things use the principles and apply them as you see fit...

I believe in santa claus

you love lyle
lyle love kelly
kelly love DB

therefor you love DB...

come on the guy specifically asked not to have this stuff in his thread...

uh, lyle dont love kelly.

see the latest sticky in the general forum?

Tell me its not basically a love letter hahahha

I dont love lyle
Lyle doesnt love Kelly
Kelly may love Brad Nuttall

But I have never laid a hand on Brad, so I cant say i love him

The joys of hte internet, but the comment would have been sidestepped if it wasnt for your reply

if he truly loved kelly then he wouldn't have misread 'higher-faster-sports' to be 'higher-faster-stronger sports.'

actually, Scruffy McTaint loves Shaf Aneros.

I've found the easiest way to implement a lot of DBs methods into your training is going over to Inno-sport's website. They don't strictly follow DB's theories, they do more of a linear periodization incorporating a lot of his thoughts. I've been following it and have had great success with the lower body work.

The basis is size->str->spd->size... etc. They have some very interesting ways to accomplish each block.

More to your questions... you wouldn't want to train at percentages higher than your REA max. Your first goal with Rea squats would be able to handle 74% AW. Then you could split your speed cycles into 2 days, A Day containing Rea squats at your upper bounds... 74% or higher if you can handle it, and B Day consisting of of 51% AW weight, adding in bands for greater acceleration.

Question 2 was answered, but you are wrong with the lengthy braking phase, think about sprinting...

Question 3 - you shouldn't be training Dur 1 any more than 3-4 times during a macro cycle. If you follow DB's strict program, you would be doing 4-6 spd type workouts at a lower dropoff and than one dur workout at a higher dropoff. Thats 1 hard squat workout every 5 workouts or so... you should be able to handle that. If you go more of a traditional periodization routine (read linear), you would do three Dur 1 workouts during that block, and they would have another day with them... for example...

A Day
Max Squat to 4% dropoff

B Day
ISO Squat at CJC using time for dropoff, shooting for 24 second holds.

PM me if you want to talk more...

For real, this shit is confusing, I'm going to rest my mind and cram for organic chemistry.

I agree that it is very confusing at first... but when you get past the different terminology most of it is actually pretty logical and goes along with what most good coaches are talking about.

Where the hell did this come from?