Calling All Freeride/ DH Addicts...

Sugar Mtn, NC

Damn Bro!
the climb to Schofield was the tough part. Trucks driving by throwing upo dust and exhaust. It was great. the section where you climb above Emerald Lake is sweet, what a view!. Ive done that loop you spoke of, however I didnt do the 401 at the end and didnt get to Donita’s Cantina. I think we ate at the Idle Spur after that. They had a killer Bohemian beer on tap at the time. I have missed CB ever since I left it. Have you done Teocali yet?

RK

Hi, back on the site after 2 years and found this thread and wanted to say howdy. If this is still active?

[quote]gordmx wrote:
Hi, back on the site after 2 years and found this thread and wanted to say howdy. If this is still active?[/quote]

It is now.

What was your last ride?

Heh heh heh… My last ride of the summer, I ended up losin’ er’ and tearing some muscles in my lower back… I had planned on hitting Whistler on the way home, but I guess that will be for next year.

That being said, Mt. Washington was still pretty damn cool. Even the dumps in Victoria were none too shabby. Beats the hell out of anything here in Saskatchewan*.

Right now, I ride a Haro Extreme ('04, I think…). Tried a Norco A-Line in BC, and think I need to upgrade my bike next year. Not sure to what, but I seem to have fallen for the look of a Giant Faith…

It seems to be between either a new, shinier, heavier big-hit bike, or a full-suspension XC. Sadly, I think the XC would be the more practical choice, as there are many XC trails here.

The 6", 120mm Haro may have to do for another year or two…

-FC

*Of course, any downhill place beats the hell out of Saskatchewan. We’re kina flat.

Last ride was on Saturday Seventh to Espresso (North Van.). Was slick and slippery but still way fun. I had to downsize my tires to 2.3 because anything else doesn’t fit in public transpo bike racks.

I’m on an older Big Hit with a Super T.

Oh yeah, my other bikes: Rocky Blizzard SS with 4 up front and a Giant TCR road bike. Thinking about buying a Banshee Scream (if I can get the $$ tioghether).

Cool.

I’m lucky enough to have ridden Porcupine Rim (Moab)yesterday.

I love that damn trail!

I’ve never been to Moab. Only seen pics in magazines and videos. Looks very cool and fast.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1129600823762.BIKE-014A.jpg

There’s not too many hills around here so this is more of a trail bike. It’s an 05 Giant Reign 2.

Edit: Ugh, my pics won’t post and probably need to be resized.

I’ll post some tomorrow but wanted to keep this thread going.

Right on man! I didn’t think we had that many DH?FR junkies here! Just a lil’ something from the midwest. www.pambamtb.org. We had Shaums March at our festival this October. Check the video message board, you folks might like some of that!

Peace,
QC

Just found this thread. Too cool! Right now I have a Weyless 67 with 5 in front 6 in back. Fox vanilla front, RockShox pro deluxe in back. Xt RD , LX front, LX cranks 03’ with platforms, Monkeybar rizor Odi lock ons, king headset, Avid mechs 8in with SD 5 levers, Rhyno lite XT hub front, Kenda kenetic sticky 2.35, hand built Sun Mamoth hope xc hub back, Kenda Nevegal sticky 2.5. Last but not least the Azonic Love seat. Doubles as a rear fender. Weighs 35lb’.

Great mixture of xc, freeride and down hill here in Washington. I’m a big guy at 220 6ft and my Weyless hasn’t broke yet. Granted I haven’t done big drops but I beat the shit out of it with 3/5ft drops, jumps & down hill/trail riding. I like to keep travel about 6/6. I ain’t going to be hitting anything too big. I want to get a Cove G spot around income tax time. I like to be able to do some stunts and still trail ride too. Lots of uphill over here to get to the down hill lol. I’m 40yrs old. Biking has really invigorated my old bones but it does take a toll. Gonna do it as long as I can!

I’m addicted and got my bro in law and his friend hooked too. They just got Kona Coilers with 6/6 travel. They like the stunts so my game is going up. These guys have no fear and will probably be getting more travel later. We will be doing Whistler in the summertime.

Well the riding over here has everything ie logs, ladders, bridges, jumps, rocks, drops of all kinds. I’m just getting into bigger drops now.

Welcome to the thread. Where in Washington are you? Near the BC border? If your’re looking for a cheaper cove,
check out the cove bikes web site, they sometimes have sales on last years models.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1129836236801.whistler_029.jpg

Shoots, glad to see this thread revived. I was wondering if there were any huckers around. Looks like a lot of the new responders are from Cananda and the great northwest. I got back from Whistler about 3 weeks ago. Spent 10 days there with 3 other riding buddies. For you B.C. guys, how do the trails there compare to the stuff you guys usually ride?

There was definitely a shortage of super technical skinnies and other stunts but the terrain was unreal. Goats Gully, Lower Joyride and Detroit Rock City (used to be the National DH) have to be some of the tougher trails I’ve ever ridden from a “holy shit, how am I supposed to navigate that” standpoint. Glad to say I cleaned pretty much everything but sure didn’t think I was going to a couple times, if you know what I mean. I was just curious how the black and double black trails there rank in a North Shore veterans book.

BTW, here’s a pic of the rock drop on Dirt Merchant.

[quote]gordmx wrote:
I’ve never been to Moab. Only seen pics in magazines and videos. Looks very cool and fast.[/quote]

Sections can be fast, but it’s more rocky than anything else I’ve ridden. Kinda like surfing a wave of rocks at times.

You must have hit the last weekend at Whislter. I’ve only been to Whistler once. The trails were definately fun - especailly for someone who has never done a table top. The trails I’ve ridden in BC North Van(shore) and Nelson/Rossland are more technical. I’m not much of a hucker but the stuff I’ve done has usually has obstacles(roots, trees, rocks, etc) either on the or immediatley after the landings. Definately cool to have nice flowy landings with smooth trannys in Whist. Right now rides are definately slower and more techical, with all the wet roots and rocks.
I prefer the snotty steeps, ladders, rock faces and skinnys to hucks. Next time you go to Whistler take a side trip to Squamish and North Van.(If you like hucking check out air supply in North Van).

ps nice pic, Dirt Merchant rocks.

Someday I’ll get to Moab…

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1129846507174.t-mag1.jpg

I love the technical stuff too. There is no real freeride stuff around my area so I had to get creative and build some stuff in my backyard. Anybody got any cool pics? Bikes, stunts, crashes, etc.? Here are some pics of my backyard. I just built a section with an elevated teeter (axis is about 4 feet off the ground) and when I get a pic of that I’ll definitely post it.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1129846839285.DSC00004a.jpg

Here’s another…