Calling all Experts, i have pain.

i am having some serious pain in my calf’s. i cannot describe the feeling. i just started some agility/quickness training and i can’t bare the pain. if it helps any the pain is running down the side/front of my calf. it runs down the gastrocnemius(medial head) and along the soleus. i have been doing stand up calf raises (with no sitting calf raises) for along time in my training and i think that i have created an imbalance between the gastrocnemius lateral head and the gastrocnemius medial head. what can i do to get rid of this pain. maybe it is a form of shin splints? thanks

that figures that there would be no experts on this sight that could answer this question.

I’m in no way an expert on your situation, but I may have some ideas. First, did you experience any pain before starting the agility drills? Often times when people add something very new, especially in the way of quick repetitive motions (rope skipping comes to mind), it takes some serious time to develop the work capacity in the muscles to deal with the added workload.

The lower leg muscles are wrapped very tightly in fascia and if the muscles begin to swell, there is often very little room for fluid to go and pain is the eventual condition.

My suggestion is to start doing some passive stretching before, after and on off days for both your anterior and posterior lower leg. Also, use an ice massage (as described in Charles Staley's EDT Arm Specialization article) after your agility training and leg training days.

Finally, I would rest your lower legs from serious exercise (no heavy calf raises, rope skipping or agility work) until the pain has subsided. Does it hurt all the time or just after exercise? A little light calf work followed by stretching and ice massage may be good also.

Like I said, I'm not an expert, but I think that some of these suggestions may help you out.

My answer is a good ART evaluation. If I was treating you I would look at the peroneal group, calf musculature, external hip rotatores, hamstrings, and hip flexor region. all of these areas can have an effect direct or indirect.

Ooh! Reverse psychology! Dammit, try as I might, I just can’t resist helping you now. Dude, you’ve got a classic case of shin splints. Take a week off to ice, stretch, and rock the anti-inflammatories. Then SLOWLY begin reincorporating your agility training; keep stretching and icing after every session. I’m sure an internet search on shin splints will turn up plenty more info (probably from runners’ sites and the like).

haha. it worked…lol.