T Nation

Calling All EMT's

I'm an EMT over here in the UK. I'm seriously contemplating a move to the US to work.

EMT's over here can carry out most of the tasks as a paramedic apart from cannulation and intubation. What would be the equivalent in the US? EMT basic or intermediate?

I also know that yopu have to be certified by the NREMT to apply for jobs in all states.

As I'm an EMT only, and not a firefighter/EMT ( the fire service is seperate in the UK) I would be looking for a position with an ambulance service. I need advice on the public v private providers in the US.

All advice welcome,
Witchfinder

I'll try to answer as best I can. I have never worked as an EMT, but I went through the training as a civilian in 98, and an EMT course through the Army last year. I can't promise you accuracy, but here is my best shot;
The NREMT has through levels; EMTB (basic), no meds ( glucose,nitro and 02 only, assisting w/prescribed meds), no combitube only, no IVs, no manual defibulation.
EMTI (intermediate) is nationally recognized, but not by all states/jurisdictions. It includes IV initiation and maintence, defibrilation, some meds.
Most EMT's that I know of are private sector. Some fire departments run a medical crew, EMT and medics only, no firefighting involved.
I don't know about the current job market, but back in 98 when I looked at getting into it, an EMTB didn't pay, maybe $7-9/hr, depending on location and Union. Paramedics made more, around $15-17/hr.
I would have to guess, location is key here. Do you have a destination in the States in mind? If you can't find local ambulance info online, contact the local
FD and they can guide you. Good luck.

I assume that You'll be a basic...cuz you should have to take a new class. Cuz I doubt the NREMT will give you a cert...let alone most states.

DieselD

WF~
Before you move to the states, be sure to contact the specific state's department of licensure. It may vary from State to State and you may need some lead time before you are able to practice in that state, due to licensing requiremtnts. Good Luck!!

Don't come here...we are all evil lying nation building wiretappers who force their ideals on everyone around the world.

Who want's that?

here in CA, an EMT-Basic working an ambulance rig can expect to be paid around $6-7/hour; working out of a hospital's ED pays roughly $12-13/hour.

You would be an EMT here in the US Intermediates are being phased out in alot of places simply because "Why hire an intermediate when you can hire a Paramedic" an intermediate is simply an EMT that is licesened to Venous Puncture.

Lot's of Ambulance Services over here Paramedics get paid better than EMTs, Fire Medics get paid better than both, Big Cities pay ther Medics better than small Cities.

You have to pass the National Registry.

you should check the Board of Licensure in whatever juridiction you are coming to some juridictions do not allow EMTs regardless of what they are trained to do to do anything other than take vitals and transport. There are a lot of variable depending on where you choose to go.

By the way I was in the UK last year at the time one (1) Quid was about $2 US.

Hope this helps.

In Indiana a Basic can use a combitube and do IV maintenance. Limited in drugs (O2, nitro, ASA, glucose, epi, activated charcoal, and some meds with medical direction) and can't do manual defib of course.

Intermediates are recognized but it seems a waste of time to go through that training without getting your cert as a medic.

I highly doubt you'd be able to have any type of reciprocity with any state and would expect you to have to go through an EMT class. At the very least you'd obviously have to take the written and practical and pass National Registry.

I know quite a few firefighter/EMTs but most worked for private companies before getting on with a department. Any municipality will be difficult for you to get on without some type of foot in the door leverage.

I'd follow your original plan of finding a private company to work for. Don't work in IL. They are so limited by what they can do as medics that it's pathetic.

The southwest and midwest states are good areas to look into. Contact a state's EMS office for more information.

http://nremt.org/EMTServices/emt_cand_state_offices.asp

Big thanyou's for the advice and info off everybody.

I was in Columbus GA/Phenix City AL for 2 weeks in January and visited a few fire depts and private ambulance services in both states. Confusing to say the least with all the differing states' requirements and protocols.

My ideal situation would be a fire medic on a fire dept, but I'd need to get trained as a firefighter from scratch and possibly have to take the US EMT class as well. I've also just had my 40th birthday which makes it all the more difficult, even though I'm in better shape than most younger people in my profession.

By the wy depending on the state, you maybe allowed to work as an ED tech, because the hospital of employment may be able to sign-off on your skills. My Hosp. does it all the time.

Ditto on the combitube and limited drugs here in Michigan. Also, at least in my county, most ambulance companies go with a team of two medics instead of an EMT-B and medic. EMT's don't get paid shit IMHO, Which is too bad. I personally know some EMT-B's who can outperform medics.

As far as intermediates go, The only intermediates I've seen have been the E-unit cops. And nobody likes them :wink: