Calling All Doctors: Shoulder/Elbow Pain

Well I don’t exactly need a doctor just some advice.

A while back I felt a twinge in my right arm. I now regularly get a dull ache either just below the shoulder on the outside OR lower on the inside of my elbow between forearm and bicep, hell sometimes it even feels like the pain connects right through.

Now it doesn’t normally stop me lifting, I actually usually get the pain at all times other than lifting time. Except for last night. During the day I was only screwing some screws into some DIY furniture and the pain came on, it didn’t heal last night and whilst I did most of my workout I couldn’t manage any military presses or Power Cleans.

I’ve just got back from a week long holiday where I did no weights at all (hoping the problem would heal) but this hasn’t worked. I’m not prepared to stop for any given time so basically, Any advice on what it might be and keeping the pain to a minimum

Thanks in advance

[quote]jump2it wrote:
A while back I felt a twinge in my right arm. I now regularly get a dull ache either just below the shoulder on the outside OR lower on the inside of my elbow between forearm and bicep, hell sometimes it even feels like the pain connects right through.

I’ve just got back from a week long holiday where I did no weights at all (hoping the problem would heal) but this hasn’t worked. I’m not prepared to stop for any given time so basically, Any advice on what it might be and keeping the pain to a minimum

Thanks in advance [/quote]

I’m not sure about the pain in your shoulder, but it sounds to me like some kind of tendonitis in the elbow area. I used to have similar problems on pretty much an annual basis when it came to throwing a baseball. Pain on the inside of my elbow. I would suggest taking an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen sodium (Aleve)). For ibuprofen, depending on your body weight 2-3 pills every 4-6 hours, and for the naproxen-sodium, 2 pills every 8 hours. Keep this up for a week or so, and, if at all possible, try to limit the stress on the painful areas. Then slowly ramp it up and see how it goes. I would stay away from any acetaminophen (Tylenol), as it will only dull the pain and not help the underlying problem.

If you can go another week and limit the upper body work, and follow this protocol, I would see how well that works.

Do this for your shoulders.

This well meaning chap was the only one I could find right off, but it will give you the idea.

They hurt like hell and took about a week to show results for me, but after several consistent weeks, especially my right which was much worse I’ve seen dramatic improvement.

Do them as close together as you can stand for a while until they don’t hurt anymore and then move your hands in just enough to where it hurts again.

I do 20 a day with all the way over and all the way back being one rep. You can use a stick or something like a large towel or some other restrictive object. I use a double female VGA cable. Perfect length.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Do this for your shoulders.

This well meaning chap was the only one I could find right off, but it will give you the idea.

They hurt like hell and took about a week to show results for me, but after several consistent weeks, especially my right which was much worse I’ve seen dramatic improvement.

Do them as close together as you can stand for a while until they don’t hurt anymore and then move your hands in just enough to where it hurts again.

I do 20 a day with all the way over and all the way back being one rep. You can use a stick or something like a large towel or some other restrictive object. I use a double female VGA cable. Perfect length.[/quote]

I’d do 'em way slower than the guy in the vid.

You can warm-up with 5-10 reps with a comfortably wide grip, then go a lil closer every 5-10 reps done after that until you hit your limit…

I used to do 50 every other day to get my shoulders back on track, now I do 30 before and after every session with upper-body pressing exercises…

Make sure to use a light object (broomstick), Olympic Barbells may feel light when lifted, but for this stretch, they suck.

Good advice/stretch btw, Tiribulus.

Hi All

Thanks for the tips, I knew I could rely on this forum. Certainly worth giving everything a go.

Hopefully i’ll be fully functional again in no time,
i’m quite slack with stretching, i think I need to incorporate a full warm up before I start any weights from now on.

cheers

Repost this in the new Eric Cressey thread in the authors locker room and read some of his articles also. He is an expert on this sort of thing.