Calling All Digital Camera Experts

Hey guys, we are purchasing a digital camera before the end of the year. I am not sure where to start to find information about what type of camera I should get. The camera will be used for our newsletter and other print pieces that I put together. So obviously, we need something that has at least 3 megapixels, is easy to download from camera to computer, can print photos at 300dpi, has sufficient memory and is $799 or less. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

By the way, I have done a search on the top 10 digital cameras and have done some comparisons. I’m wondering if any of you have any experiences with some good digital cameras. Also, in addition to the above requirements, I need something that comes with rechargable batteries and USB port cables. The brands I’m checking out right now include the Canon PowerShot G2, Nikon Coolpix 995, Casio QV-4000, Epson PhotoPC 3100z and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85. They seem to be the top cameras avaiable at this time. Any input is appreciated.

Go to pcmag.com, scroll down the left margin, under “Product Guides” there is a button for “Digital Cameras”. It has a buyers guide, reviews, etc…

i used to work testing professional digital cameras. the nikon cool pix out performed one of the $3500 professional models sold by a competitor. i would get that one without hesitation.

computershopper.com might also help b/c it allows you to compare prices of many internet stores and does reviews

I have the Canon Digital Elph, and while it’s ‘only’ 2.3 megapixels (belive me,. it’s more than enough!), I’ve found it to be a great all purpose camera. Totally idiot-proof, self timer, all sorts of different settings,… and so damn tiny that I usually carry it in the front pocket of my jeans. I think it’s only about $400- $500,… but some of the best money I ever spent.

Nate-- TC and I both use a Sony Cybershot, 3.3 megapixels, MPEG movies EX, Zeiss optics, 6X zoom. I picked up an extra memory stick and using the small picture setting get over 600 pics before it fills up. A lot of the recent pics at T-mag were taken with the Sonys, either mine or TC’s. Look in this week’s Reader Mail, the chin-up question. I took those two, plus a couple of the ones used for the “Forgotten Squats” article. Ran around $800, a little more with the extra stick.

I also have the little Elph 2.3 megapixels. There are probably better ones out there, but I am really happy with this one.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll check out a few more reviews. Hey Chris, the Sony Cybershot that you and TC use, does it have a 16mb memory stick? And rechargeable batteries? It sounds pretty good from the reviews I’ve read. The Canon G2 is also right up there. Just need a little more research!

The Nikon D1, Kodak 760, and Cannon has a high end one as well. Not sure of the name on it. These are industry standards for digital cameras. These cost several thousand just for the camera bodies. AP and Rueters use these, as well as many other local newspapers. So these are on the other end of the spectrum. When choosing a camera make sure you ask to see a print and check the color. And ask what size file it produces. And what options you have for creativity and unusual circumstances.

Nate- Not sure which stick came with it, but buying the fat extra one has been well worth it. Yes, it’s rechargeable and the battery life is pretty good. The model number is DSC-S75. BTW, I like CNET.com for researching this kind of stuff. They’ll link you to some good prices too if you want to buy online.

Ok the bestest ever is the Nikon coolpix 995 best camera I have ever owned. Easy as hell too. It has idiot mode and manual and in manual you can control everything on the damn camera it rocks…

Alrighty Ill add some input to this thread here…
First check out this site:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
Very very good camera reveiw site with sample photos from many different Camera’s.
Im sure that site will answer most of your questions.
Another item to keep in mind is get som Nimh batteries…This is a good page for those…
http://www.thomas-distributing.com

I got a digital cam about 1 1/2 ago (only a 1.1 megapixel)
good for web/email photos…
With the rechargable Batteires and the endless supply of film with no charge for devolpment… A digital camera because a very cheap item if you enjoy taking pics,
ALoha,
Solareclipz

Check out the Olympus camera’s. Their Camedia line is excellent. I sold my first Olympus (low resolution) and replaced it with a Camedia C3000. The Camedia is 3.4 Megapixels and the photos are superior. It also has the ability to take QuickTime movies and store them to a flashcard.

Steve’s digicams is the only good site mentioned in this thread so far. Another great one is www.dpreview.com, check it out.