Calisthenics and Rugby

what training could I follow if I haven’t gym and I only have forty kilos’ resistance bands and other for band pull apart. I would like to prepare for a rugby team.

[quote]tamaral wrote:
what training could I follow if I haven’t gym and I only have forty kilos’ resistance bands and other for band pull apart. I would like to prepare for a rugby team.[/quote]

I am myself using a lot of isometric holds and they don’t require a lot of resistance, if any.

Jumps are also something you should use. Bands can be used for lateral raises, front raises, curls, triceps extension (hanging the bands on a support above you to do a pressdown), push-ups with the added band resistance. Handstand push ups.

Here are some exemples:

HOLDS FOR TIME (these can be used to build muscle and strengthen key positions)
They are done for 60-90 seconds per set for 3-5 sets.

• Lunges holding the low position (back knee 1-2" from floor) focus on squeezing front glute and hamstrings (imagine pulling your feet toward you)

• Push-ups; try elevating your hands and feet (put them on blocks) so that you can hold the low position, hold for max time then hold the high position (elbows slightly unlocked). Focus on contracting your upper back when holding.

• Pull-ups: hold the “up” position, rest a few seconds then hold the low position (with a slight arm flexion)

JUMPS (sets of 5-10 reps)

• Vertical jumps
  • Jump unto a box
  • Jump forward for distance
  • Jump from a lunge position (switch leg in the air)
  • Jump from a lunge position (do not switch legs in the air)
  • Do a vertical jump as high as possible, in the air open up in a lunge position and land in the lunge position
  • Depth jumps for height
  • Depth jumps for distance

COMBINED METHOD (hold 10 seconds, do 3 jumps, hold 10 seconds do 3 jumps, hold 10 seconds do 3 jumps… overtime you can work on holding for longer)

• Lunge hold then jump (do all the reps/holds before switching legs)
  • Squat hold (parallel) then vertical jump
  • Push up hold (bottom or top depending on strength) then plyo push-up

DYNAMIC EXERCISES

• Pistol (1 leg squat)
  • Split squat with back food elevated (can use added band resistance)
  • Push ups (can use band resistance)
  • Pull-ups
  • Lateral or front raise with bands
  • Curls or triceps extension with bands
  • Rowing with bands (attach band to an immovable object in front of you andpull_
  • Handstand push-ups

*If the resistance is too easy make the movement harder by performing the eccentric (lowering) portion superslowly.

MOVEMENTS

• Sprint
  • Hill sprints
  • Backward sprints
  • Running on all four
  • Jumping up a hill

These are just examples

Also you can use a wheelbarrow, load it up and walk with it. Great conditioning tool and a good way to build the core, traps and grip

I often do a workout at home using nothing but bands, as my recent Indigo log entries show. I also use these bands for isometric holds as well. I like using them and feel they are a worthy exercise tool especially, as in your case, you have no access to a gym. Follow Christian’s suggestions and you can’t go wrong.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

Also you can use a wheelbarrow, load it up and walk with it. Great conditioning tool and a good way to build the core, traps and grip[/quote]

That’s a great idea. And when I go back to doing construction, it won’t be so hard.

Hi CT!

The current situation has made that I can now train only at home in my garage where I have access to a pull up bar and 2 pairs of dumbbells. I would like to apply the methods by which you write here, but I do not know what should be the order?
Schoul I begin on holds then jumps then combined methods and finish with dynamic exercises?
I want to admin that my goal now is increase pull ups count and learn haw to perform HSPU.

How often should the exercises be done? Can you give an example training week?