T Nation

California's $16 Billion Debt

Well folks, we are officially Greek now.

I am practicing my "opah ! " as I type this.

This worthless Governor and Democratic legislature lied about the budget they passed, to have originally proposed a $9 Billion deficit.

This is what happens when you have total Democratic rule, defend yourselves my friends. Do not let their Mafia get a hold of your cities and states.

I read about this in the WSJ this morning, Maximus.

The number of businesses leaving the state has increased 5 fold over the past few years. We are rated least business friendly of the 50 states because of all our taxes and regulations. How’s that working for us, Governor Brown?

Sad. I love this place. It’s beautiful.

LULZ…such a beautiful place, but so glad I got out.

Truly a shining example of what happens when a state is totally dominated by liberal politics.

California foots the bill for an ENORMOUS entitlement system/nanny state…and look what happens.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

The number of businesses leaving the state has increased 5 fold over the past few years. We are rated least business friendly of the 50 states because of all our taxes and regulations. How’s that working for us, Governor Brown?

Sad. I love this place. It’s beautiful. [/quote]

Asshole Brown low-balled the deficit intentionally, he said it would be $9 Billion.

And this state wants to do high speed rail, which has not even 10% of it’s funding secured.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

Asshole Brown low-balled the deficit intentionally, he said it would be $9 Billion.

And this state wants to do high speed rail, which has not even 10% of it’s funding secured. [/quote]

What makes me sick to my stomach is he used the old stand by of if you don’t approve this tax we’ll make cuts to public safety (he lumped education in there also ie shorter school year).

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

This worthless Governor and Democratic legislature lied about the budget they passed, to have originally proposed a $9 Billion deficit.

This is what happens when you have total Democratic rule, defend yourselves my friends. Do not let their Mafia get a hold of your cities and states.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0513-state-deficit-20120513,0,709340.story[/quote]

Did you at least buy a fast car with some of that money?

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

And this state wants to do high speed rail, which has not even 10% of it’s funding secured. [/quote]

What makes me sick to my stomach is he used the old stand by of if you don’t approve this tax we’ll make cuts to public safety (he lumped education in there also ie shorter school year).[/quote]

Washington Monument tactic.

Tried and true.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

Getting a bit off topic here, but you have to admit that the coast is gorgeous. I recently read an article about how there are two Californias - Coastal and Inland.

The thinking is, if you can’t afford to live in communities like La Jolla or Santa Barbara then you have to move about an hour inland to someplace that looks like Barstow or Riverside. :frowning: Or you have to drive in horrible traffic and smog to get to your job which is about an hour inland. So, you might as well move to one of a thousand other communities in another state where there’s less traffic, more affordable housing, a better tax structure, and its easier to start a business. People aren’t stupid. They are leaving the state in droves. Since California bases so much of it’s tax structure on taxing the rich, when a few of those people relocate to Las Vegas, things get worse in a hurry.

About Utah, I don’t like to be cold and there’s no good ethnic food. I’d consider St. George or Moab if they had better food. :slight_smile:

Back to topic - They always threaten to cut Police, Firemen, and Schools. Interestingly, Governor Brown’s new budget has a 16% increase for Education. How does that work? Apparently I don’t understand how this whole “We are really, really broke” thing works.

I think I’m going to buy a place in Charm City and the Big Easy. Better food than Cali, plus I can have the attitude of Cali in Charm City and about 1000x the hospitality of Cali in the Big Easy, or maybe Baton Rouge…go live on stilts.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

About Utah, I don’t like to be cold and there’s no good ethnic food. I’d consider St. George or Moab if they had better food. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

You dont say…

…sooooo, there are a lot of rich Californians looking for a new place…

…they are used to some choice when it comes to food…

…until now there is none…

?!?

Profit?

Not good, I just hope California will not need a bailout from American tax payers. The way the economy is going, and California finances are handled, it wouldn’t surprise me if that happened though.

Liked what Elizabeth MacDonald had to say about California, and running wealth out of the state, and yet wanting to offer generous welfare programs.

“Cornering the Market on Absurdities”

snippet:

“…California state officials for years have done reckless budgeting. For example, they easily get hypnotized and pencil in supposed capital gains tax revenues from dotcom or housing bubbles, and now the Facebook initial public offering.
But when those capital gains tax revenues don?t arise (because, say, investors sit on the gains or move out of the state, who would have thought it?), California then slams taxpayers with higher tax rates to paper over the budget holes, or the state cuts spending elsewhere.
All to pay for exorbitant government retiree pension or health-care costs, now flattening towns across California, and the state itself.
Those same pension funds run by officials who made rotten bets on commercial and residential real estate, like skyscrapers or housing developments, during the bubble, but were never called to task for those misjudgments and instead want you, the taxpayer, to pay for their foolish bets.
All of this is a moral issue. No country survives when its residents behave like victims.
No handout nation survives when its citizens believe they are owed something, that they are “entitled” to something.
Welfare states always destroy their ability to create wealth, and those who create wealth – citizens who work hard and create the tax revenues to pay for all these things.
You cannot have a welfare state without wealth creation.
But when government gets bigger, citizens behave much worse. They get arrogant, greedy, envious. They talk more about how much time they can take off, or when the next vacation comes.
Instead of building this country for a brighter tomorrow, they attack those who work hard, prosper and create jobs…”

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2012/05/15/cornering-market-on-absurdities/#ixzz1v3xRAt1Y

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

Getting a bit off topic here, but you have to admit that the coast is gorgeous. I recently read an article about how there are two Californias - Coastal and Inland.

The thinking is, if you can’t afford to live in communities like La Jolla or Santa Barbara then you have to move about an hour inland to someplace that looks like Barstow or Riverside. :frowning: Or you have to drive in horrible traffic and smog to get to your job which is about an hour inland. So, you might as well move to one of a thousand other communities in another state where there’s less traffic, more affordable housing, a better tax structure, and its easier to start a business. People aren’t stupid. They are leaving the state in droves. Since California bases so much of it’s tax structure on taxing the rich, when a few of those people relocate to Las Vegas, things get worse in a hurry.

Back to topic - They always threaten to cut Police, Firemen, and Schools. Interestingly, Governor Brown’s new budget has a 16% increase for Education. How does that work? Apparently I don’t understand how this whole “We are really, really broke” thing works.

[/quote]

I grew up in Fresno, and spent two years of college in Santa Barbara.

The #1 state that Cali folks are fleeing too is Utah… go away. :wink:

You may not have the volume of selection of ethnic foods that you do in California…but I can look out my office window and see Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Korean, Italian, Filipino, Ethiopian, Cajun and Japanese eateries.

In a college town, you are going to have a wide variety of imports.

Most importantly we have not had a murder in over 11 years.

Good trade off…no?

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

Good trade off…no?[/quote]

That’s actually really impressive. What about missing persons? No body, no murder right?

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

That’s actually really impressive. What about missing persons? No body, no murder right?[/quote]
Logan is one of the safest places in the nation. I almost went there for school, my brother graduated from there and my sister goes there currently. Logan is pretty small but not a bad place to be overall, coming from a Las Vegan currently living in Stockholm

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0513-state-deficit-20120513,0,709340.story[/quote]

People aren’t nearly selfish enough. They believe in selflessness, thus requiring other people as victims.

A truly selfish man wants only to be left alone. The unselfish need others as victims and beneficiaries of the robbery. They live through others – either those they rob or those they hand the stolen loot.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[/quote]

You dont say…

…sooooo, there are a lot of rich Californians looking for a new place…

…they are used to some choice when it comes to food…

…until now there is none…

?!?

Profit?[/quote]

I don’t know where that was going. I guess the take home message is, I can see why so many people are leaving California. There are a lot of other places that are more affordable and with less of the mess.

UtahLama - I thought Utah’s contribution to cuisine was the secret sauce. That’s ketchup or BBQ sauce mixed with mayo.

Sorry for the hijack, Max. Carry-on.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

That’s actually really impressive. What about missing persons? No body, no murder right?[/quote]

No missing people either to my knowledge…the take away point here is, Califirnians are fleeing the liberal utopia with their cash and coming here, the most conservitive place in America.

Like I said, rats fleeing the sinking ship…in the end the illegal immigrants did not have to do anything, but elect people who pandered for their votes to have their reconquista.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

No missing people either to my knowledge…the take away point here is, Califirnians are fleeing the liberal utopia with their cash and coming here, the most conservitive place in America.

Like I said, rats fleeing the sinking ship…in the end the illegal immigrants did not have to do anything, but elect people who pandered for their votes to have their reconquista.
[/quote]

You live in Crown Heights?

This was all done intentionally.

Unions own ALL the Democrats in the legislature, and they threaten to fund an opponent if you do not go along with their bidding.

This has now reached the threshold of what California can take.

You cannot absorb 1/3 of the entire country’s welfare.

You cannot take on the highest number of illegal aliens the country holds.

You cannot have the highest paid teachers (k-12) in the country, with a 60% dropout rate.

You cannot be voted the WORST BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT 8 years in a row.

You cannot spend 3 times what Texas spends on the prison system.

You cannot pass and enact a MOTHER FUCKING STOOOPID Global Warming Act, which does nothing but raise costs of businesses who emit carbon emissions, only to watch those very same businesses leave to more business-friendly states.

You cannot have the highest taxes in the country.

You cannot have a law that mandates that 40% of the entire state budget allocated strictly to education.

You cannot protect teachers from being fired to the point where a teacher can feed his students semen-covered cookies and STILL not get fired. (See Mark Berndt story for this).

You cannot add 10 million people to the population, only to have 150,000 of them as tax-filers. Look at “California’a Greek Tragedy”…

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

You live in Crown Heights?[/quote]

No sleep till Brooklyn?

U mad?