California Bans School Junk Food

It’s good that they are trying to get kids to eat better, but getting rid of perfectly good “treats” (like mac & cheese, pizza and so on) is not going to make kids stop being fat. Doing something besides sitting all day might. But I suppose it’s better than nothing…

It’s a start. Now if they could manage to get some actual excercise in that would do the trick.

Set the classes as the last class of the day this way everyone can go home and shower instead of being ‘stank’.

The cutting out of ‘shitty’ food is a start, it could lead to kid’s trying out new foods and actually liking them.

I on the other hand would wish I was back in school when this gets passed. I’d make a killing in the black market, smuggling in junk food and selling them at cut-throat prices to the fatties.

It’s a start?

Question though, is it just banning the sale of crap on the premises or is it banning crap altogether?

One of these things is not like the other… (oh oh, flashback)

Anyway, I’m in favor of not encouraging it, but I’m not in favor of draconian measures to control what kids eat…

Seems messed up. The idea as an overall concept is okay, but the particulars sound, well, stupid. I would have thought Arnold knew more about nutrition?

And the part about him “walking 1km” was also stupid. Like it’s a huge accomplishment to walk that far.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Question though, is it just banning the sale of crap on the premises or is it banning crap altogether?
[/quote]

Looks like it’s just establishing rules on what kinds of foods can be sold in vending machines. Kids can still bring in crap from home, if they want.

I thought this comment was interesting:

“It is thought that the move could cost school districts hundreds of thousands of dollar in lost income”

What, I’m supposed to prefer that they poison my kids so that the schools can get a little extra income?

[quote]vroom wrote:
I’m not in favor of draconian measures to control what kids eat…[/quote]

I dunno. Many parents today are so fucking stupid that they need all the help they can get. I thought that the idiots featured on shows like “Dr. Phil” where the rare exceptions, but it appears that adults with the mental development of 8 years old are getting to be commonplace nowadays.

We restrict booze and cigarettes for kids. If parents are too stupid to know that feeding their kids at McDonald’s 5 days a week is bad for them, we might need to legislate that too.

The Atomic Dog?s article covers some of your posts. Arizona is doing the same thing. I agree with it to a degree. When you listen to way they reason what is good for you compared to what is not, kind of frightens me. I have always maintained if it requires common sense government should stay out of it.

This actually worked well for a continuation school for troubled kids. The staff said the first year was a complete turnaround in the kid’s behavior.

I wonder why so many kids are on hyperactivity and attention span drugs.

I say this is a good way to go.