Calf Cramps! ARRGH!

I got one this morning at 5AM (Sunday too!) and it of course woke me right up and I couldn’t go back to sleep out of that fear that it would come back.

My God I’d love to have the presence of mind to make a video of one because my calf looks like it’s possessed…I mean it actually changes shape in a way that I’ve never seen if I just flex it.

Also this one was so bad that I’ve been limping all day on it. Like I’d done 1000lb calf raises for 2 hours yesterday.

I found a video!

If you look at this starting at 0:35 THAT’S what mine does!

lax ball and The Stick

buy them

use them

I’ve never ever had a calf cramp.

I’ve trained my calves until the burn was unbearable and I could barely walk for days after, but a cramp is something I’ve never experienced.

Water man. Almost ever time I’ve had cramps I’ve been dehydrated. 'Course you already know that…lol. My old football coach would “prescribe” water and a banana.

Calf cramps REALLY are horrible, I sympathize . lol, once I got one when lifting and I just DROPPED in the middle of the gym. There was no way I could stand. So I just crawled to the wall, put the towel over my head and sat there for what seemed like hours. People must have thought I was nuts or was possessed.

agreed that water and a banana are a good starting point. cramps and abnormal flexion like that can be helped out by making sure youre well hydrated and your electrolytes are in check. if you can tolerate stretching, its a good idea too.

cramps suck. ive had some minor ones in my calves, and sometimes ill get them in my quads too. doesnt feel good.

My wife gets them sometimes in the middle of the night.

A quick remedy is to grab your toes and/or the balls of your feet and pull them HARD up toward your knees (while making sure your knee is not bent).
INSTANTLY stops the cramp.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I got one this morning at 5AM (Sunday too!) and it of course woke me right up and I couldn’t go back to sleep out of that fear that it would come back.

My God I’d love to have the presence of mind to make a video of one because my calf looks like it’s possessed…I mean it actually changes shape in a way that I’ve never seen if I just flex it.

Also this one was so bad that I’ve been limping all day on it. Like I’d done 1000lb calf raises for 2 hours yesterday.[/quote]
YES! My God,I thought I was the one experiencing this. It happens to me every once in awhole and boy does it hurt like hell. I would scream bloody murder and wake everyone up. I would also limp for a day afterwards. Your not alone Nards.

I got them doing front squats once. I ended up sitting in the middle of the rack wincing with a guy asking me if I was alright. I think it was dehydration.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My wife gets them sometimes in the middle of the night.

A quick remedy is to grab your toes and/or the balls of your feet and pull them HARD up toward your knees (while making sure your knee is not bent).
INSTANTLY stops the cramp. [/quote]

I got a calf cramp so bad one time that both me and my buddy couldn’t do this haha. You would have thought we shot a walrus or something with all the sounds I was making lol.

-Zep

I think I was properly hydrated…as I’ve experienced bad dehydration in the army on an exercise where it was about 30C/89F and I only had my liter bottle with me and I was digging a stage 6 trench by myself.

I was cramping all over the place…forearms when I’d lift the shovel, obliques if I turned around and the motherfucker of all was hamstrings! Fuck when they cramp you swear you’re going to start hearing snappping sounds like a suspension bridge is going to give out!

Come to think of it I had 4 pints of beer and a lot of meat Saturday night after my workout…then 20 minutes in the sauna so even though I wasn’t thirsty I’ll bet I was dehydrated.

I always know I got a good back workout in when I take a dump and get a cramp in my lat when I try to wipe.

Calf cramps suck bad.

You gotta get up and stand on it to get it to stop cramping or do what iron dwarf said.

[quote]Nards wrote:
and the motherfucker of all was hamstrings! Fuck when they cramp you swear you’re going to start hearing snappping sounds like a suspension bridge is going to give out![/quote]

Them the worst, no doubt.

I can recall the strange, contorted-azz positions they force the body into, and all in a few seconds (or less).

I call alcohol being the blame, besides dehydrating you it also lowers your Magnesium levels and this can increase cramping.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
I always know I got a good back workout in when I take a dump and get a cramp in my lat when I try to wipe.

[/quote]
x2 except usually a knot develops in my neck following this.

I get calf and hamstring cramps if I don’t take ZMA or something similar.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
I always know I got a good back workout in when I take a dump and get a cramp in my lat when I try to wipe.

[/quote]
x2 except usually a knot develops in my neck following this.[/quote]

Probably from trying to stick your head back up your ass.

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
I always know I got a good back workout in when I take a dump and get a cramp in my lat when I try to wipe.

[/quote]
x2 except usually a knot develops in my neck following this.[/quote]

Probably from trying to stick your head back up your ass.
[/quote]
Where I oddly find testy re-writing the US Judicial system.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Testy1 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
I always know I got a good back workout in when I take a dump and get a cramp in my lat when I try to wipe.

[/quote]
x2 except usually a knot develops in my neck following this.[/quote]

Probably from trying to stick your head back up your ass.
[/quote]
Where I oddly find testy re-writing the US Judicial system.[/quote]

I’m sure there have been a lot of guys there but I am not one of them.