Calf Cramping

So I was doing seat calf raises the other day, and in the middle of the my 3rd set, I started to get calf cramps everytime i reach the top of the ROM. However it immediately goes away once i lower the weight again, so I ignored the cramping and finished with another set. I’m not as if I should continue with my sets in the future the next time it happens. What do you guys think? Is cramping your body’s signal that indicates that you should stop the set immediately? I’m a little confused as what to do since I NEVER have cramp issues in any of the countless exercises i use. By the way, I will always start to cramp at some point during seated calf raises, it’s kinda like a given for me lol.

Take more magnesium. Seriously I used to get them bad rock climbing and doing Jiu Jitsu where you’re consistently at extension, or cycling too. Took magnesium tablets and within days it goes away. You’ll need to maintain it though. I notice if I’m keeping up a high level of physical activity within a week or so I’ll start getting cramps back.

So, magnesium. Don’t need much, but it will help! There are different grades of it too so stay away from magnesium dioxide (cheapest) and go for chelated magnesium. It’s better absorbed so you need less.

Drink pickle juice right before your workout. It works absolute miracles.

That said, I do believe that calf cramps are par for the course. If you take a look at when you are getting the cramps (top of the rep when your calf is pretty close to 100% flexed) and what calf cramps are (a huge, freaking awesome, giant, painful dang near 100% flexing of the calf) then it makes sense. It goes away as you lower the weight because your muscle cannot stay in the flexed position if there is a weight forcing it to stretch.

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:
Drink pickle juice right before your workout. It works absolute miracles.

That said, I do believe that calf cramps are par for the course. If you take a look at when you are getting the cramps (top of the rep when your calf is pretty close to 100% flexed) and what calf cramps are (a huge, freaking awesome, giant, painful dang near 100% flexing of the calf) then it makes sense. It goes away as you lower the weight because your muscle cannot stay in the flexed position if there is a weight forcing it to stretch. [/quote]

I second the pickle juice… works wonders. Just keep the amount reasonable though since it’s mostly vinegar.

The first thing I always think, is some sort of nutritional deficiency when people mention cramping. Secondly, my calves cramp a lot (not as bad as you describe) when training them. I’ve become a a fan of seriously digging in to each one with my fingers between sets, either focusing on the gastroc, or selei depending on the exercise. Just makes it feel a bit better :slight_smile:

S