T Nation

Calculating Weights for 2nd Cycle

So I read the whole book yesterday. I’m going to be running this program with the Young Jim Wendler template once I’m done with my current block. Oly lifts on my “off days”.

I had only one question.

These are my starting Wendler Training Maxes for my 1st cycle:

Press 1x130
Bench Press 1x185
Power Clean 1x125
Front Squat 1x180
Squat 1x200
Deadlift 1x275

After I’m done with my first cycle, do I add 5-10lbs to each of these lifts based on those maxes and then recalculate? So for example my 2nd cycle I would use these Wendler Training Maxes:

Press 1x135
Bench Press 1x190
Power Clean 1x135
Front Squat 1x190
Squat 1x210
Deadlift 1x285

This is the only part that is confusing me a bit. Luckily Black Iron Beast has a really nice calculator that does all the math for me :slight_smile:

That app, makes money off of other people’s sweat. Delete it.

And what you wrote is fine for your progression.

Also, Wendler has a forum all to himself on this site. You can ask 5/3/1 related questions there.

Replace the power clean with a clean or snatch high pull from the hang or blocks.

But seriously, I don’t understand your thought process. If your goal is to olympic lift, why aren’t you getting coaching and a suitable program from a professional coach in real life? Or post in Thib’s forum for program advice?

Judging from the numbers you posted in your log, those numbers are too high. Your training max should be something you can do for at least 3 reps on any given day.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
But seriously, I don’t understand your thought process. If your goal is to olympic lift, why aren’t you getting coaching and a suitable program from a professional coach in real life? Or post in Thib’s forum for program advice? [/quote]

I’m moving to Denver and can’t afford to pay $100-$150 for a gym membership right now. That seems to be the price of some of the CrossFit/Olympic lifting gyms. I can only afford to go to a 24HR fitness. I had a coach for a little bit and I got my C&J technique wise to a point I can push the weight myself for the foreseeable future. It came much easier than the Snatch. The reason he didn’t put me on any particular program was because I need to really up my squat strength and overall strength.

He said doesn’t matter what you do 5x5, SS, SL, 5/3/1, etc but squat strength should be my number one priority. The only issue is when I was doing a squatting 3x a week program my body and knees just couldn’t handle it. The volume and load was just too much. So I figure if I go down to squatting twice a week and using 5/3/1 where I’m pushing the weight in waves and not at my max my body might respond better.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Replace the power clean with a clean or snatch high pull from the hang or blocks.[/quote]

I replaced the Power Cleans with C&J. I’m not doing 5/3/1 with those though. I’d figure I’d do a 8x2. Snatches I’m just using the barbell until my shoulder mobility is a bit better before loading anymore weight. I’m hoping in 6 months time, my situation will be to where I can join an Olympic lifting gym.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Judging from the numbers you posted in your log, those numbers are too high. Your training max should be something you can do for at least 3 reps on any given day.[/quote]

Oh ok. I used a 1RM calculator to get my starting maxes. I’ll bring the numbers down a bit and see how it goes.