Calculate Macros Based on Height/Weight to Boost Gains

Hello guys :wave:
I really need your help, if you have a site or on an ebook or whatever like books on the Internet for me to download that can “teach” me how to calculate macros and estimate the right amount of carbs, proteins, fats that suits my body measurements and training goals as we all know that’s if not the most important, it is for sure among what matters best when it comes to training and meeting someone’s expectations.
I’m completely non deep-educated as far as it concerns this topic so any help and indication would be really appreciated!!
Thank you so much in advance, **tons of gains&unlimited safe workouts everyone **

To maintain: BW in lbs x 15 cals (so if you weigh 200lbs that gives 3000cals)

To gain weight: BW in lbs x 18-20 cals

To lose weight: BW in lbs x 10-12 cals

1g of protein per lb of your bodyweight (so if weigh 200lbs then 200g of protein)

fats at 30% of your daily cals

Carbs for whatever’s left.

Boom! That’ll be £100 please.

3 Likes

Hahaha wow I thought it would be difficult but that’s a good start for me!!!
Thank you so much, where did you learn all these?
I think you deserve your 100£ as I’m sure your answer is more helpful than one dietician I asked and scared the ***** out of me with her ambiguous replies​:joy::joy:

You just pick this shit up after a while. Any calorie counter type thing will always be guesswork at first. You learn to adjust as you go.

Things like having the protein at 1g per lb is a fairly universal recommendation. You can really split up your carbs and fat calories however you want but the main thing is just to pick a starting point and go from there.

And what’s your advice if I want to gain muscle and lose fat, can I adjust what you mentioned to your previous message and get to that?
Do you have an app on your phone for everyday to put what you’ve eaten so that you can meet your goals or no or how do you keel track?

Im going to post here with my approach and it’s not meant to discredit anyone else’s approach, so I recommend trying different things and seeing what works for you, but only change one variable at a time.

There’s a site you can find if you search the name BMI Calculator, but this site also includes a BMR Calculator which is what you’ll need. Once you find your BMR, Basal Metabolic Rate, or the minimum calories you need for bodily functions without doing anything, there’s a link where you can factor in activity level which I believe is 1.25-1.55 you BMR - this will be your calories needs - or maintenance calories.

Personally for bulking, I try to go 200-500 calories over. I dont cut, so I have no input on that.
Lately, I’ve been recomping and it’s worked for me to go maintenance. MyFitnessPal is a great app to enter your food/macros. It’s a good habit to get into when you’re learning how to eat accordingly with your goals.

As far as my macro breakdown, I do more like .8g per lb because too much protein, especially meat, keeps me too full from eating everything else. I do more like 40% of fats, and the rest carbs.

There’s a good youtube video by Matt Ogus where he talks about counting macros in 5 minutes whether you’re cutting of bulking. Ironically, I was 170 when I saw this video, which happened to be the example he used, so I was able to follow along perfectly.

Of course you MUST post your opinion and thank you so much for doing so! Everything you shared opened a new knowledge-window for me! I’ll search everything you mention and I hope I’ll find my way!

What exactly you mean for me to do by saying that?

I have fitnesspall but it seems to me a little difficult to Use it as I tried it first to see how much calories should I consume to gain the weight o have a goal it settled to 3000 cals per day, but now that I want just maintainance I can’t modify it to show me the maintainance cals😂confusing right?!
Can I ask you something else, what happens if I consume TOO much protein?

For example, my BMR is 1896. Thats the calories my body burns if I were in a dark room and completely stationary. The Harris Benedict Equation factors in your level:
If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

This is a rough idea. 3000 might be where you need to be based on how active you are.

Maybe somebody can chime in on this, but I believe excess protein gets processed into glucose via gluconeogenesis

1 Like

My opinion:

First - Nail your calorie intake. What Yogi1 said, use 14 or 15 x bodyweight to star and then adjust
Second - Nail protein intake. Anywhere around 1gm per lean body weight will be a good place to start.
Third - Fats should be around 25 - 30% of your total calories
Fourth - add the calories from protein and carbs and subtract from total calories (4 kca per gram of protein and 9 kcal per gram of fats) and that should make up from carbs.
Fifth - Any watch how your body responds and adjust.

To your question about too much protein. Some people think it gets converted to fat others think it gets removed as waste in a calorie surplus situation. My best advice, as above, is to to see what your body does.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your time and your analytical information I think after that I’ll find it easy to start from somewhere as everything is more clarified to me now!!!
Yeah 3000+ is based on my activity but now in summer I want to maintain only cause even I want to eat more(good quality food I mean, which helps) I just can’t with that heat…

Thanks for the summary of the steps, I’ll sure do these things!
About the protein I read in a health magazine that it can affect kidney etc do you believe its true?

I mean with the protein supps mostly

There are people with a genetic condition that can’t take high protein amounts. I believe it filtering the nitrogen or if you have a illness with your kidneys. Otherwise its fine.

Thank you so much!
I was anxious about it as I usually consume a lot.

If you want to gain weight then use the formula I posted for weight gain, and use the fat loss one for fat loss.

The thing you have to remember is that the first time you calculate your calories it’s always going to be an educated guess at best. All these online calculators are a load of shite as your metabolism has a million contributors to it which no one could ever possibly predict.

So use your best judgement; pick a number and go from there. Say, for example, you wanted to build some muscle so you decided to use BW x 18 for your cals. You might find you don’t gain any weight, so you have to adjust your calories up, or you could find you start piling on fat so you have to adjust your calories down.

The starting point is effectively arbitrary; you need to adjust your approach based on your results.

1 Like

there have never been any studies that show a deleterious effect on the kidneys from protein consumption in healthy individuals.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: thanks so much I got it&will do it!!
I’ve saved all the answers and wrote them down so next step is to put them into reality :joy: Good luck to me!
Yeah you are so right about everything you mention, the body is a tricky machine to predict so we have to experiment!!
Thanks again!!!

I wish I could maintain BW using that formula. It would be a dream come true.

I would lose weight on BW x 15, too. Seems a reasonable starting place for most people though.

I’m the opposite. I can maintain bodyweight weight at BWx8.

If I go BW x10 I grow. Above that, I grow more. I weigh a very lean 250 on 2500ish a day. 3000 puts me at 260lbs.