T Nation

Caffeine For Soreness?

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/070109_caffeine_pain.html

What’s everybody’s take on this?

[quote]. One and two days after an exercise session that caused moderate muscle soreness, the participants took either caffeine or a placebo. Then, they completed two thigh exercises, one requiring maximum muscle effort, and the other sub-maximal effort.

Those who consumed caffeine one-hour before the maximum force test had a 48 percent reduction in pain compared to the placebo group. Students who took caffeine before the near-maximum force test showed a 26 percent reduction in soreness.[/quote]

This makes me wonder how the “pain” was measured. If they were given caffeine before the lift, and they just simply lifted x% more, then it doesn’t surprise me. Caffeine has always been known to greatly reduce perceived muscle fatigue while lifting, but I’ve never experienced the same relief after just taking it the day after heavy squats.

The biggest thing I can think of would be the nitro-booster effect (or just ibuprofen anti-inflam effect) in that having the heart rate elevated/blood thinned helped flush some of the lactic acid or let the participants feel more energetic, thus moving around and getting more blood flow?

Its not hard to believe it helped with soreness, but I dont think it’d help a toothache.

Caffeine is widely used as a pain-reliever, so I’m not surprised. Think Tylenol 1, 2, and 3 (acetominaphen, codeine, and caffeine), and Fiorinal (aspirin, caffeine, barbital, and codeine).

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
Caffeine is widely used as a pain-reliever, so I’m not surprised. Think Tylenol 1, 2, and 3 (acetominaphen, codeine, and caffeine), and Fiorinal (aspirin, caffeine, barbital, and codeine). [/quote]

oooh yea, thats a good point. I’ve seen that on Tylenol labels when I was injured. Fiorinal sounds like what I should ask for when I have my wisdom teeth removed O_o