T Nation

Caffeine and Insulin Resistance

Does anyone know what the latest word is on this? Does caffeine hurt insulin sensitivity? I’ve read everything from “it absolutely does” to “it’s a complete myth”.

Thanks for any info.

[quote]tdrink wrote:
Does anyone know what the latest word is on this? Does caffeine hurt insulin sensitivity? I’ve read everything from “it absolutely does” to “it’s a complete myth”.

Thanks for any info.[/quote]

No, my understanding is that it improves insulin sensitivity . Here is a nice article on the benefits of coffee/caffeine:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

There are also some nice links to places that have studies on coffee here:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ics/ICS_QuickLinks.shtml

I am very interested in this subject. I was previously brainwashed by the anti-coffee propaganda but have recently started drinking it, because it appears to have a number of benefits, not to mention it tastes good!

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff. Like I’ve said, I’ve seen both sides of the coin argued using research to back up the claims.

Even on this site (I am not remembering the subject of the post/article) I’ve read that one of the benefits of ReceptorMax is that increases insulin sensitivity which can be effected by too much caffeine. In essence the claim was that if you drink something like a Spike Shooter (or any drink with 300+ mg’s of caffeine) that the ReceptorMax was essential for maintaining insulin sensitivity.

I believe the problem is that caffeine can raise cortisol levels which can negatively effect insulin sensitivity. To combat this I drink coffee w/ heavy cream and cinnamon. Picked that up from CT. The cream is to slow the absorption of caffeine (keep cortisol levels at bay) and the cinnamon is to improve insulin sensitivity. And it tastes fantastic.

I add cinnamon to everything…anyone think it could be to much of a good thing

Too much of anything is never a good idea.

As long as your not doing a tbsp per meal your probably fine.

I am not convinced of coffee’s so called problems, because look at how many cultures drink it often within their diet, yet have lower rates of illnesses, obesity, and just flat out live longer. America is the only country who starts to question the benefits of coffee.

What also needs to be looked at is how is the coffee prepared? The Starbucks concoctions resemble nothing of what coffee from other countries looks like, and no one in their right mind would pay what people pay for such creations.

Well alongside preparation, I think we have a tendency to overconsume as usual. I’ve recently changed things up so I’m only getting caffeine from tea, because I clearly have issues with cortisol.

[quote]xivb4m wrote:
I add cinnamon to everything…anyone think it could be to much of a good thing[/quote]

Naw, I doubt you could eat too much. BTW besides the insulin benifts, cinnamon is also #1 (and by a huge margin) on the ORAC list of anti-oxidants.